Come on Royal fair go

Yep, we booked a D2 cabin yesterday during the "sale", got $200 onboard credit but today the room is $300 cheaper. I think for our cruise though the sale coincided with the final payment date so it's natural for the price to drop further after that time. We were going to wait but a corner aft came up so snapped it up right away.

Some will say its swings & roundabouts and good for us to have a healthy competitive market where sales are just words that mean nothing :rolleyes:

I say Payback is smuggling all your own booze,taking all your own water & soft drinks and booking private shore tours:) Sort of like a cruiseing camping trip:D:D:D

Edited by fishtaco

I was looking at prices for cruises early next year; too expensive for what was on offer. Celebrity was miles cheaper and IMO a better product. Unfortunately its dates don't suit :(

Will monitor now that the 'sale' has finished - might see some better pricing.

Some will say its swings & roundabouts and good for us to have a healthy competitive market where sales are just words that mean nothing :rolleyes:

I say Payback is smuggling all your own booze,taking all your own water & soft drinks and booking private shore tours:) Sort of like a cruiseing camping trip:D:D:D

I agree with you.

I don't understand the restrictions on bottled water and soft drinks at all. Does P&O really think their new 'restrictions' will stop people with a modicum of imagination doing a BYO? And what is RSA? I am constantly asked 'anything from the bar?'.

The are now about the cheapest they have ever been.:)

Nah, a lot cheaper back in 08-09.

Now there are competing forces, so there are some expensive ones and cheaper ones. Right now, locally there are some specials coming out as we've had the most capacity ever, but demand is patchy. The lines had been holding off discounting hoping to sell at increased pricing, so are left with more than they can sell in some cases and a few last minute spot bargains are emerging.

Disregarding the actual prices, the Price fluctuations from one week (sometimes day) to the next whether up or down seem to be much more fluid. It is making it harder and harder to predict which way the price will go as each cruise is acting differently to the next.

If you see a good deal that you want, grab it as it will unlikely be there the next day if you hesitate. And then forget about what you paid unless you want buyer's remorse, still have time before final payment or have no perks to lose.:D

From my very limited experience, specials at the start of the sale seem to be better, and the prices can inch up towards the end of the sale. Limited experience as I say.

We have also found that times like New Year's Eve can bring some nice prices as they set the sales up just before all the announcements come out.

I have an untested theory that they put a few really nice specials at the start, so that people get talking on forums about the bargain price they got. Then people that do not have the time or inclination to trawl around day in day out looking at the prices go onto the site and see that there is a sale and presume that all things will be equal throughout the whole sale campaign. It ain't so.

If you are limited to the time you can go, then booking early gets you some nice prices, and your choice of cabin, if that is what you want. Increasingly we want to choose our cabin, as we get to know more what will suit us better.

The other thing we have done is book one leg of a trip, of a length that we would be happy to go for, and as it gets closer you may find a B2B cruise at a good price and you can enjoy tacking that on. It all depends when you can go, and that is the hard thing for many people still working, you can be tied to going only at certain times.

Disregarding the actual prices, the Price fluctuations from one week (sometimes day) to the next whether up or down seem to be much more fluid. It is making it harder and harder to predict which way the price will go as each cruise is acting differently to the next.

If you see a good deal that you want, grab it as it will unlikely be there the next day if you hesitate. And then forget about what you paid unless you want buyer's remorse, still have time before final payment or have no perks to lose.:D

You are right in what you say Mic but my gripe is not buyers remorse it is the way RCI conduct business .As they said buy one get 50% for 2nd passenger

which we did good deal?, well that's we thought but as I said price is cheaper the day after the sale finished so price fluctuations has nothing to do with it if you believe there sales pitch

So don't get me wrong it is not all about the money, to me it is RCI arrogance to charge more during a sale than a non sale period, as in lets suck them in with the word SALE they will pay, make sense why they kept extending the sale cut off period, and as others have said about the aussie $ this has nothing to do with it as prices are quoted in $AU at the current rate and that is the price regardless .To me it is just RCI treating us like fools , but maybe once but certainly not twice

What about drinking their free drinks between 5 - 8.30, then not spending one single dollar after that.:eek:

Edited by Aussie FF

You are right in what you say Mic but my gripe is not buyers remorse it is the way RCI conduct business .As they said buy one get 50% for 2nd passenger

which we did good deal?, well that's we thought but as I said price is cheaper the day after the sale finished so price fluctuations has nothing to do with it if you believe there sales pitch

So don't get me wrong it is not all about the money, to me it is RCI arrogance to charge more during a sale than a non sale period, as in lets suck them in with the word SALE they will pay, make sense why they kept extending the sale cut off period, and as others have said about the aussie $ this has nothing to do with it as prices are quoted in $AU at the current rate and that is the price regardless .To me it is just RCI treating us like fools , but maybe once but certainly not twice

I agree that quite often 'sales' are not actually bargains at all.

What about drinking their free drinks between 5 - 8.30, then not spending one single dollar after that.:eek:

That is not going to effect them at all but will dampen your cruise. I suggest having a great time and enjoying your time as if it was your last cruise ever. It may very well be the last one with RCI for some.:D

I've said it before but I'll say it again: "Sale" is RCI code for "We've increased our prices."

My other oft repeated maxim is: "I book the cabin I want at a price I'm happy with. If somebody else gets a better deal, that's OK."

As some of you know we got a great deal on an inside guarantee on our upcoming Celebrity cruise (6 days til barking day:)). For a small fee we upgraded to an ocean view guarantee and somehow scored an aft verandah (family room). :D Friends also happen to be sailing on the same cruise but they booked a verandah and paid double what we did. :eek: Oh boy, are they annoyed! I've learnt my lesson, not to tell anyone what we paid, even if they ask (which they did).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Sparky74

I've said it before but I'll say it again: "Sale" is RCI code for "We've increased our prices."

My other oft repeated maxim is: "I book the cabin I want at a price I'm happy with. If somebody else gets a better deal, that's OK."

As some of you know we got a great deal on an inside guarantee on our upcoming Celebrity cruise (6 days til barking day:)). For a small fee we upgraded to an ocean view guarantee and somehow scored an aft verandah (family room). :D Friends also happen to be sailing on the same cruise but they booked a verandah and paid double what we did. :eek: Oh boy, are they annoyed! I've learnt my lesson, not to tell anyone what we paid, even if they ask (which they did).

Yes, buyers remorse. telling others what you paid always makes at least one of the parties unhappy and can increase tension in any relationship.:(

The same runs true for flying.

Never ask the person sitting next to you how much they paid.:eek:!!!

That is actually very good and timely advice. We mentioned last cruise about our nice upgrade, and another couple in the Diamond Lounge never stopped whining about it. Mind you they booked the accessible cabin more than 12 months out and bragged how they just ticked the disabled box. So yes, we might leave talking about prices alone. :)

What about looking at an upgrade now the price has dropped? Is that an option for you?

I did look into that I looked at a D1 cabin which at there current non sale price would be an extra $111.00 . But my TA told me that I cant have that price that it is for new bookings only ? it would cost me an extra $1500.00 because that is what the rate was when I booked ??

That is not going to effect them at all but will dampen your cruise. I suggest having a great time and enjoying your time as if it was your last cruise ever. It may very well be the last one with RCI for some.:D

Yes, we most certainly do.:D

I didn't say that's what we, do, I was only responding to the comment.:)

We like to partay when we can.:D

As many have said, any day on a cruise, is better than being at work.

Cheers