Hotel choice, SOOO Confused!

BiXLL

I am not much of a traveler, very inexperienced. 57 years old and am trying to set up our second ever real vacation. I have a cruise booked for 1/18/15 on NCL Epic, out of POM. It takes me a year of saving to be able to do something like this so these $150.00-$300.00 a night hotels are not an option for me. Because of flight schedules, I am going to need a room both 1/17/15 and 1/25/15.

Was thinking that Extended Stay for around $100.00 a night would work, but then I see they are not serviced by any of the shuttle services like SAS. Is it important to be able to use these, or would a regular taxi to port be about the same?

At the same time, if I could save by having a free shuttle from airport to hotel could be a good money saver. I read reviews about Motel 6 Diana Beach and am scared of the area and fact that low income full time residents are there.

I am trying to save where I can and still be comfortable and enjoy my vacation. My head is swimming, I am so confused I am about ready to give up on the whole thing. Can anybody PLEASE give me some help/guidance?

I assume you are flying into Miami and not Ft. Lauderdale. Unfortunately, winter time rates in the south Fla. area for hotels are generally pretty high.

No, flying in to Ft. Lauderdale.

We have stayed at Extended Stay, 17th St. Ft. Lauderdale several times. They have a free shuttle from the airport. Also, SAS does pick up there, $15 per person to the Miami port. You would have to call Extended Stay on 17th for their rates, if available. Their web site always shows no vacancies.

954. 761.9055

SAS has a list with links to hotels they service in the Fort Lauderdale area. We are also trying to figure out whether to stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami for the night before our cruise. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale and sailing out of Miami. Last year we stayed at Holiday Inn Port of Miami but they are booked for out date

Here are some hotels from the SAS list that tend to have low prices. Your budget is extremely low for January, as most low end hotels start at $200:

Rodeway Inn

Red Carpet

LaQuinta

Quality Inn (formerly Comfort Inn)

The Bridge at Cordova

Sleep Inn

If you book any airport area hotel on Priceline or Hotwire for a great deal less, it will only cost $10-20 per taxi ride to hotel or to airport, and SAS will pick you up at the airport or at any of the hotels that they service. For example, stay at a hotel that isn't serviced by SAS, and taxi to the nearest hotel that is serviced.

Perhaps you can cancel this cruise and rebook for May-September, when hotel prices drop by about 50%.

Edited by royalcruz

We stayed here in April. They have a free shuttle to pick you up at the airport, and also a free shuttle to the cruiseport. They offer a full breakfast, too. This worked very nicely for us. Looks like the price today is around $200.00 which is over your budget, but call and ask them for their lowest rate. The shuttle service and breakfast make up for some of the cost. It's in a safe area. I remember a Burger King being right in front of the hotel and stores within walking distance. Also I know their rates go up and down, so if you book and you see them lower, give them a call.

You should be checking out airbnb for places to stay, especially if you dislike cheap hotels. You will find a wide price range. The cheapest is usually staying as a guest in somebody's home. We are in the middle of a 52 day trip to Europe, with two TA's, and have used airbnb for all our accommodations. We spent one night as a guest in a home in Jupiter, FL before boarding Oasis of the Seas, cost was $77. It has been great.

I am writing this from our airbnb place in Copenhagen, getting ready to board the NCL Star. We have the bedroom of a one bedroom apartment. Our window overlooks the dome of the Marble Church, only one block away. Our host is a single retired women, who sleeps on the couch when she has guests. She is very friendly and most helpful in planning our days. Our cost is $91 per night. For an additional $8 each, she fixes us a full breakfast, with breads and jams she makes herself. For anybody that knows Copenhagen, these are very low prices. Coffee and a muffin each afternoon at a cafe is $20. Today our host made a trip to the country and collected a special fungus (like a mushroom), and prepared a sample for us. Outstanding, and we couldn't be happier with our arrangements.

Edited by RVRoadie

Check with SAS and QLS to see the list of hotels they pick-up at; then research the hotels on trip advisor and www.sunny.org (great for FLL area info).

Whatever hotel you choose, if it has a free shuttle from/to FLL you can always catch a shuttle to POM from there. Good luck! :)

That was a good tip that I'm going to remember.

I am really finding the airbnb concept kinda interesting. There are 2 bedroom condos with pools for $120.00 a night. Here is one I am thinking about for $101.00 per night.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4048807?checkin=01%2F17%2F2015&checkout=01%2F18%2F2015&s=pzGH

Personally I would never rent space in a private home when there is not even one review or guest to speak to about the property. :eek: The pictures show something I would not feel comfortable with. Did you notice it is "quiet time" in the property from 8 - noon? See...that just doesn't sound good to me.

Good luck. This site is becoming popular like VRBO has. But I would only book when there are recs and reviews.

Personally I would never rent space in a private home when there is not even one review or guest to speak to about the property. :eek: The pictures show something I would not feel comfortable with. Did you notice it is "quiet time" in the property from 8 - noon? See...that just doesn't sound good to me.

Good luck. This site is becoming popular like VRBO has. But I would only book when there are recs and reviews.

airbnb has a very nice app and web site that you can use to communicate with the host and ask questions. I have stayed at one place that did not have reviews. I asked a lot of questions and it worked out fine. All hosts have to start somewhere.

As a new guest with no reviews, you can expect questions from the host so they can get comfortable with you, especially if you are staying in somebody's home.

You should be checking out airbnb for places to stay, especially if you dislike cheap hotels. You will find a wide price range. The cheapest is usually staying as a guest in somebody's home. We are in the middle of a 52 day trip to Europe, with two TA's, and have used airbnb for all our accommodations. We spent one night as a guest in a home in Jupiter, FL before boarding Oasis of the Seas, cost was $77. It has been great.

I am writing this from our airbnb place in Copenhagen, getting ready to board the NCL Star. We have the bedroom of a one bedroom apartment. Our window overlooks the dome of the Marble Church, only one block away. Our host is a single retired women, who sleeps on the couch when she has guests. She is very friendly and most helpful in planning our days. Our cost is $91 per night. For an additional $8 each, she fixes us a full breakfast, with breads and jams she makes herself. For anybody that knows Copenhagen, these are very low prices. Coffee and a muffin each afternoon at a cafe is $20. Today our host made a trip to the country and collected a special fungus (like a mushroom), and prepared a sample for us. Outstanding, and we couldn't be happier with our arrangements.

South Florida is such a shady place, I'd skip AirBnB down here.

Google weird crimes in Florida. It's a real eye opener.

Check out the Snooze Hotel.

http://www.TakeASnooze.com

Really? Google weird crimes in your own city. It will be a real eye opener. Who you gonna believe.

South Florida is such a shady place, I'd skip AirBnB down here.

Google weird crimes in Florida. It's a real eye opener.

Check out the Snooze Hotel.

http://www.TakeASnooze.com

I have stayed there..decent place and located right across from the beach..Next door to the Westin which is a 4 star hotel.