Explorer Looks Great!

Small concern about propulsion since this is a longer sailing but fingers crossed all is well enough in that area.

On the 9/25 sailing (which I think is the same itinerary you have) we did leave Bermuda and Labadee an hour early, but kept at about 20-21 knots for most of the trip.

One thing that I did notice (and others did) is that there seemed to be a lot of vibration, especially in the aft. I'm not sure if this is normal for Explorer or due to the propulsion issues. We guessed that they might be running the functional engines a little harder than usual to maintain that speed.

Just off Explorer today and can't see what all the complaining about it lately is all about. The ship looks great.

No bathrooms out of service

Lots of new carpet

Balconies being painted

Food portion size is fine

Food better than in the past

Drinks added to sea pass for Diamond and up is really nice (too good to last)

and more

Thanks so much for all the good news!!:)

We can't wait to be back on the beautiful old girl for our 2 week repositioning in just 4 weeks!!:D

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there were NO shorts allowed in the dinning room for dinner period. Not a guideline. It was dress code

Wow! That's refreshing news. We set sail on Thursday and are so please that someone took the time to post positive things. We were starting to get a little worried :o This will be our first time on Explorer and first cruise longer than 9 nights...so exciting!

Thank you so much for posting this! I am on the Nov. 15 southern Caribbean sailing out of Port Canaveral, and can't wait! I have never been on that particular class of ship and all of the ports will be new to me.

I'm glad to hear the good report of the Explorer too. We'll be on this sailing with you!

Just off Explorer today and can't see what all the complaining about it lately is all about. The ship looks great.

No bathrooms out of service

Lots of new carpet

Balconies being painted

Food portion size is fine

Food better than in the past

Drinks added to sea pass for Diamond and up is really nice (too good to last)

and more

We were also on this cruise and I couldn't agree more! Overall we had a fantastic cruise and wouldn't hesitate to sail on Explorer again. The reports that I'd read on here about the crew going above and beyond were spot-on. The majority of crew members that we encountered were outstanding.

We were also on the 9/25 sailing and I would have to agreed with both posters above on everything. We also had a fantastic time and just a little disappointed that some crew members we have known for years on Explorer were either on vacation or transferred to other ships. All in all, Explorer still has a fantastic set of crew members and they did go out of their way to make our vacation memorable once again.

We'll be back on the Nov 1 sailing to say goodbye, we're going to miss Explorer and her crew.

We have cruise care and are interested in changing our sailing to 10/23 as many of the friends (passengers) we have met over the years were on 9/25 and will be on 10/23. Currently 10/23 is completely sold out, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for an opening and if not, we're looking forward to sailing on her one more time on 11/1.

We are cruising on the Explorer on Nov 15 for the first time - how do you get on a galley tour?

If you are Diamond Plus or above, or are in a Grand Suite or above, you will usually get an invitation to some behind the scenes tours.

You can also opt for the All-Access tour, at $150, which will give you a tour of many areas of the ship, one of which is the galley.

Edited by clarea

Will be on the 11/1 repo sailing. Boy I sure will miss her and the great deals they always had. Have been on several times. Really got sticker shock with the Quantum. I really hope the aforementioned propulsion issues does not impact our port times. Have some great plans that I hate to cut short but it is what it is. Any previous posters who are on before 11/1 any updated info greatly appreciated.

This is a great series of posts. We are booked on a 9-night cruise in January. This is our first cruise on Explorer and I am looking forward to it, so all these nice comments are negating any concerns I had. I am especially pleased to hear that the food is quite good. Please feel free to share any other experiences you have had on this ship and we are looking forward to the reports on the ship when she sails from PC.

I believe dry dock is scheduled for March 2015 in Cadiz, Spain.

Here is a very recent list of drinks available with the drink vouchers, courtesy of Carol:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44235491&postcount=12

No problem on Freedom ordering whatever you want at bars with vouchers. Think it depends on bartender.

On the 9/25 sailing (which I think is the same itinerary you have) we did leave Bermuda and Labadee an hour early, but kept at about 20-21 knots for most of the trip.

One thing that I did notice (and others did) is that there seemed to be a lot of vibration, especially in the aft. I'm not sure if this is normal for Explorer or due to the propulsion issues. We guessed that they might be running the functional engines a little harder than usual to maintain that speed.

Lots of vibration in Viking crown on Freedom. Waiter said it will be fixed during January drydock.

I am so excited to have read these posts!! :D All the negative comments were getting hard to read, over and over. SO SO glad to finally hear how great a ship she still is. This will be my first time on EOS and I am so glad I to get the chance to join all of you who love her. I am very optimistic I will join that club!! ;)

We also just returned yesterday from sailing on the 9 night Explorer sailing. After reading reviews stating she was in poor shape, I actually looked for areas where she was in "poor" condition and I couldn't really find any. The stateroom and public areas were always clean, and in many areas she was shiny and sparkling (atrium, floors etc). I didnt really see faded carpets, and they were constantly painting on the balconies on our floor during port days. I really can't understand the negative comments about her condition. The ship was truly beautiful!

We are cruising on the Explorer on Nov 15 for the first time - how do you get on a galley tour?

During dinning the executive chef came around and ask how everything was. We just ask and got an invite a few days later. Good Luck

I was on the 9/25 and couldn't have imagined a better time. The food was excellent and the ship is in great shape. Was on the 6/5 sailing as well and this seemed a little more peaceful due to the lack of the college crowd.

Excellent time and excellent ship!

I booked for Jan 24 and I can't wait!!! I am so very excited to have Mariners sister ship in Port Canaveral..I have missed Mariner dearly.

Can some of you post pictures and reviews for me :) Jan 24 seems forever away to me right now! I've sailed many times but can't remember the last time I was this excited :) :D

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there were NO shorts allowed in the dinning room for dinner period. Not a guideline. It was dress code

We were on the 9/25 sailing and did see a couple denied entrance to the MDR due to their attire. Tank tops and shorts certainly were not welcome in the MDR at dinner.

I don't usually bore people with my vacation photos, but since you asked... :D

Royal Promenade:

DSCN0150_zpsb72d9bd0.jpg

The pool area, which got plenty of use:

DSCN0714_zps1e9136f4.jpg

The helipad:

DSCN0190_zpsa9a7b678.jpg

Our aft room, complete with an up-close view of the super structure:

DSCN0154_zpsda1ff2f3.jpg

I believe dry dock is scheduled for March 2015 in Cadiz, Spain.

Here is a very recent list of drinks available with the drink vouchers, courtesy of Carol:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44235491&postcount=12

Thx for the info. Was going to give my DH a few extra beers but now that I see that they have the only cordial I drink. Baileys;). I think he will only get 1 extra. He will be happy that I have a reason to stay at the bar with him. They never had Bailey's in the DL.

Can't wait to get on her in 10 1/2 days. Missed her sail away from Bermuda today:(