PR Princess Announces Full Season of Southeast Asia Cruises Aboard Pacific Sky in 06

TorontoTL

spacer.gif

news_bold_header.gif

8/17/2005

Princess Announces Full Season of Southeast Asia Cruises Aboard Pacific Sky in 2006

Casual, Australian-style cruises from Singapore offer new options for exploring Malaysia and Thailand

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (August 17, 2005) -- Princess has announced that a full season of Southeast Asia cruises aboard Pacific Sky, operated by sister company P&O Cruises Australia, will be marketed in North America. The February through November 2006 sailings will feature a more casual Australian-style cruise experience, and will take passengers to some of the most renowned ports on both sides of the Malay Peninsula.

Two distinct seven-day Southeast Asia itineraries will sail roundtrip from Singapore, and the alternating itineraries can be combined for a full 14-day exploration of the Malay Peninsula that calls at nine ports in Malaysia and Thailand -- the most comprehensive cruise experience in the region.

During Pacific Sky's February to November Southeast Asia cruise season passengers can choose from 38 seven-day departures or 37 sailings on the 14-day itinerary, with airfare included in the cruise pricing.

"We know there is growing interest in North America to visit Asia and we think the Pacific Sky itineraries will offer passengers a great way to explore some of the best of Southeast Asia's resort areas, in a relaxed and fun-filled cruising environment with Australian flair," said Jan Swartz, Princess' senior vice president of customer service and sales.

The ship's two alternating seven-day itineraries both depart from Singapore. The Eastern Sunsets route visits the tropical island of Ko Samui (Thailand), tranquil Kuantan (Malaysia) with its picturesque fishing villages, and includes an exciting overnight stay in Bangkok. The Western Tropics itinerary features historic Melaka (Malaysia), Malaysia's bustling capital of Kuala Lumpur, the stunning island of Langkawi (Malaysia) with its hidden coves and deserted beaches, Asia's most popular holiday resort Phuket (Thailand), and the colonial outpost of Penang (Malaysia). Both itineraries can be combined for a complete 14-day adventure.

The 1,200-passenger Pacific Sky offers a fun-filled Australian-style vacation. The ship features a variety of dining and entertainment features including two main dining rooms, a 600-seat Broadway-style show lounge, nine bars, and a deckside nightclub for dancing under the stars. Additional dining options include a 24-hour pizzeria and ice cream parlor, lunchtime hamburger, hotdog and pasta bar on deck, plus steaks and snacks at the outdoor grill. The ship's children's activity center offers a fun-filled youth program, and other features include a cinema screening recent release movies, two large outdoor swimming pools plus a special pool for children, a health center and spa, fitness center and outdoor jogging track, Internet facilities and a library. Currency onboard will be in Australian dollars. Early booking fares begin at $1,995 (USD) for seven-day sailings and $2,690 for 14-day cruises and include air transportation from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver or Honolulu. Low air add-on rates are available from other gateway cities.

Is the Pacific Sky a nice ship? BDJAM why do you say poor Sky Princess, did they rob her of all her glory when they sent her to P&O?

I think these intineraries sound very interesting. I don't think anyone else is doing anything similar.

Sailed twice on Pacific Sky while she was still Sky Princess, including her last voyage as a Princess ship, San Francisco to Sydney, 28 days - a WW2 Pacific Theater cruise - wonderful.

A classy lady in her day, her trips in Australia have been plagued with mechanical problems. She is the last steam-turbine passenger ship built, and has been having many problems with her gear box. Absent a complete re-engining(sp) of the ship, I would avoid her as unreliable.

Interesting, thanks for posting this. There were a lot of very angry people (some who are Cruise Critic members) who had booked the now-cancelled Asia cruises on the Pacific Princess. I guess they're trying to make up for it by marketing these P&O cruises. They should have just plugged the Regal into the Pacific's cancelled schedule when they decided they were keeping her in the fleet.

• 6 months later...

We are just 2 more of the angry people who had booked Pacific Princess thru Asia right at the start especially for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary only to have it snatched away

We wait with baited breath hoping they will soon announce a suitable replacement itinery

Princess sure knew how to upset a lot of CC folk and beyond when they pulled that stunt

I first sailed the Sky in 91 and then again in 2000.. She was a great lady. Too bad they turned her into an Aussie party boat..

I find that comment to be fairly out of touch. Australian cruise culture is certainly not the same as the era of when P&O used to promote cruising on Fairstar the Funship.

Wait! What canceled cruises? We're booked for the 7/16 cruise and have nothing about this. What's going on? I would really appreciate anyone who's in the know with this. Largin??

Also, the Sky was a great little ship and I'm glad to see that others are able to sail on her. She was our first crusie ship and even though we had a tinky little cabin in the *ahem* bowels of the ship, it was still fabulous.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Charlie

This post originated in August 05 and again it was brought up yesterday. I think for the ones who are concerned maybe better check their cruise schedule.

Marilyn

Yes - an old press release.

P&O (Aus) has announced the sale of Pacific Sky to Pulmantours of Spain. I don't recall the date of sale - but just two days ago P&O (Aus) reported that Regal Princess will transfer "down under" to replace her, in fall of 07.

Just got off the line with Princess and they confirmed our Asian cruise as alive and well. The Rep we spoke with knew nothing about having cancelled any cruises. it had struck me off since we booked in October '05, two months after the article. Sorry, I panicked a little, but I'm glad DH had a calmer head about it all. Thanks for everyone who answered back.

Charlie

Archived