Amazing response from Carnival Price Protection

udamudda

On 10/7, we submitted a price protection for our 6S cabin that had an advertised price of $559 on 11/2 for a military rate. We have booked a military rate a couple of times with Carnival so they must have the DD214 on file.

Immediately we received a response that because we booked through a travel agent they must request the OBC as we had booked Early Saver. Immediately I got on the phone and my TA sent the request. Two days past and no response so the same rate was still available and it was resent again.

Today my TA called Carnival because no respose had been received. Now they said that they have no way of knowing if the form had been sent. And now the rate is not available. Also they said they didn't know if we qualified for the rate.

We are no dummies and I copied from two websites the advertised rate. So we submitted the requested DD214, a copy of the webpage showing the advertised rate and a copy of their refusal to process my initial claim showing that we had indeed submitted.

I also copied John Heald as this is this ridiculous to me. After this cruise our next one will make us Platinum and has me wondering if it is even worth another cruise on a line that doesn't value it's VIFPs, let alone Veterans.

What is the point of booking Early Saver if they don't want to honor it if you happen to catch a price drop?

I'll keep everyone posted.

Bren & Jeff

Edited by udamudda

I wish you luck pursuing your price drop and thank you for your service.

As an aside, as you mentioned you were considering another cruise line, Princess offers an onboard credit of up to $250 for all who are active or retired with the US military. They'll keep a copy of your DD214 on file and it will automatically be applied on every cruise. Between military, shareholder, FCC, promotional, loyalty and travel agent onboard credit, it may be cost effective to give it a look, should you qualify for other OBC opportunities.

Edited by Disconnections

I would get on your TA's case to beat Carnival into submission, assuming it is a legitimate claim. They might have to work a little, but then, that is their job.

I do think it has to be a rate available on the Carnival website and not a third party that could be selling group cruises or something. Or a rate that didn't really exist.

I've never had a legitimate price drop refused and yes, they have accepted a screen shot as proof after the rate was no longer available. Even once when Carnival posted the wrong price on their website.

Good luck.

I wish you luck pursuing your price drop and thank you for your service.

As an aside, as you mentioned you were considering another cruise line, Princess offers an onboard credit of up to $250 for all who are active or retired with the US military. They'll keep a copy of your DD214 on file and it will automatically be applied on every cruise. Between military, shareholder, FCC, promotional, loyalty and travel agent onboard credit, it may be cost effective to give it a look, should you qualify for other OBC opportunities.

One would think they would keep the DD214 as part of a permanent file as that fact stays with passengers his entire life.

Carnival will definitely keep your DD214 on file......if you ask them to. It is not automatic. If you booked through a TA, why would you go online at Carnival to fill out the form? Of course you would get OBC instead of a price reduction since you are past final payment date.

Can anyone explain what a 6S is? I know 6A-6C are oceanview cabins, never heard of a 6S. I do know that one has to price match their cabin against an available cabin in the same category. So if there is a cabin such as a 6S there may be only a few of them and therefore nothing to price match against with only a few weeks before sailing.

BTW, I have gotten every ES price reduction I have ever requested. No phone calls were needed. It makes me wonder if all the ES threads lately are because Carnival is finally adhering to their rules instead of just handing out money willy nilly when people weren't actually supposed to receive it. If so, good on Carnival.

Edited by Out to sea!

On 10/7, we submitted a price protection for our 6S cabin that had an advertised price of $559 on 11/2 for a military rate. We have booked a military rate a couple of times with Carnival so they must have the DD214 on file.

Immediately we received a response that because we booked through a travel agent they must request the OBC as we had booked Early Saver. Immediately I got on the phone and my TA sent the request. Two days past and no response so the same rate was still available and it was resent again.

Today my TA called Carnival because no respose had been received. Now they said that they have no way of knowing if the form had been sent. And now the rate is not available. Also they said they didn't know if we qualified for the rate.

We are no dummies and I copied from two websites the advertised rate. So we submitted the requested DD214, a copy of the webpage showing the advertised rate and a copy of their refusal to process my initial claim showing that we had indeed submitted.

I also copied John Heald as this is this ridiculous to me. After this cruise our next one will make us Platinum and has me wondering if it is even worth another cruise on a line that doesn't value it's VIFPs, let alone Veterans.

What is the point of booking Early Saver if they don't want to honor it if you happen to catch a price drop?

I'll keep everyone posted.

Bren & Jeff

I too had some issues with Carnival and its price protection. I'm spending more time now with Royal Caribbean.

I too, have received every early saver obc that I have submitted. I will only book early saver. You MUST match the exact cat. Its easy once you know your category. Never had any problems so read the rules before you book this way.

I always called for price drops and got them with no issues. The first day they implemented the message on the phone to fill out the form on line I was denied the price drop.

I ignored the denial and called and was promptly given the new lower price. After it went through I asked the rep why it was denied. I had completed the form correctly. She couldn't figure why the denial.

OP, I hope your TA gets this fixed.

All of my drops on my current cruise were denied pronto, like within 5 minutes. Of course I usually check at 6 AM before I get ready for work.

I then e-mailed earlysaver@carnival.com with screenshots.

About 48 hours later I would get a response.

Twice on this current cruise the rate dropped between the time I submitted my request and the time they processed it and they gave me the lower price.

But I book through Carnival and not through a TA so.

Someone cancelled a 6S for both weeks that we were sailing so I was shocked to see one come open. The first week, the rate was higher. The second week it dropped for Military. The rate was on the Carnival website, Expedia and Travelocity. I only took screen shots of Travelocity and Expedia, but they were the same.

My travel agent is fighting hard on this so I'll let you know what happens.

Our Liberty cruise this past September we had issues also. We had a rate reduction. We applied. We booked Early Saver so could get price drops til 24 hours before we cruised.

2 weeks before our cruise there was a price drop. Of course they denied it saying we did not qualify for it. My husband wrote a letter to them explaining why we were due the OBC. They denied it again. Finally on the Thursday before our cruise as we were going to the airport I got an email from Carnival. They finally approved the Price Drop and gave us the amount as an OBC.

You should not have to fight for what is rightfully yours.

Someone cancelled a 6S for both weeks that we were sailing so I was shocked to see one come open. The first week, the rate was higher. The second week it dropped for Military. The rate was on the Carnival website, Expedia and Travelocity. I only took screen shots of Travelocity and Expedia, but they were the same.

Next time forget the screenshots from travelocity and expedia, just follow Carnival. CCL does not honor price drops from OTA(online travel agents).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think the fact that you didn't submit the screenshot from Carnival's website, that is the problem. Carnival doesn't do price drops if some agency is doing them as the agency could have a special group booking or other deal with Carnival. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get the lower price because, in essence, you have no proof that Carnival offered it. Good luck though.

If your TA was any good. They would constantly be looking for if the price drops for any of their clients. Maybe their commission would go down a little but its worth saving a client.

Carnival knows they are getting a commission and that is probably why they are giving you the run around. Sorry for your problem you are going through.

Thank you for serving our country and keeping my family safe.

I think the fact that you didn't submit the screenshot from Carnival's website, that is the problem. Carnival doesn't do price drops if some agency is doing them as the agency could have a special group booking or other deal with Carnival. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get the lower price because, in essence, you have no proof that Carnival offered it. Good luck though.

But Carnival does. It should be simple for them to look at the price history and see what the price was at any point in time. This has always bugged me about the way Carnival administers ES price drops. They sell it as a guarantee of the lowest price for the category up until 2 days before sailing, then make you responsible for monitoring the price and requesting what was guaranteed. If its a guarantee, then Carnival should adjust the price on the booking without requiring me to catch the fact that they changed the price. They know they changed the price - they should just make the adjustment.

The rate has now changed on my documention showing the lower price. I don't see the OBC there but as soon as they get back to the TA with the information I will ensure I have copies of everything when I board the ship.

My TA does check for price drops. This one was a little odd because our original booking wasn't Military, but the lower price was. Since I was a TA many years ago, I usually watch my prices too.

Carnival does have in their price drop policy that they will honor any price on another site as long as it is available for the public to book. I know to get Carnival's page only. I though I did that, but evidently didn't.

I agree it should be simple for them to look back, especially when I have the screen shots showing them the cabin that they can search the history on as only one was available.

Glad it looks like they came to there senses, but it seems like there was more necessary from our side then there should have been.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Carnival does have in their price drop policy that they will honor any price on another site as long as it is available for the public to book. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Do you have a link where carnival has this policy? I have never heard this before and heard the opposite many times here before.