Transportation

Traveler30

We (my sister-in-law) and myself, are on the Island Princess on Feb. 4th, and will be staying at Marriott LAX one night before the cruise, and we will need transportation to San Pedro, can anyone advise me the best way to get to the port. We are both Seniors. We do have a travel agent, and we are on a wait list with princess for a hotel with transfers. But I am nervous about waiting for an answer from princess. I realize it's a bit early to ask this, but I am an early bird, and like to know ahead of time.

Can anyone help??

We (my sister-in-law) and myself, are on the Island Princess on Feb. 4th, and will be staying at Marriott LAX one night before the cruise, and we will need transportation to San Pedro, can anyone advise me the best way to get to the port. We are both Seniors. We do have a travel agent, and we are on a wait list with princess for a hotel with transfers. But I am nervous about waiting for an answer from princess. I realize it's a bit early to ask this, but I am an early bird, and like to know ahead of time.

Here is my suggestion. When you arrive at LAX the day before, transfer directly to a hotel in San Pedro. Don't stay near the airport. The Crown Plaza and the Doubletree in San Pedro are two suggestions, medium priced. The Sunrise hotel is also an option is lower priced, but not a bad selection. These hotels are really close to the pier and have free shuttles to the pier. You can transfer from the airport right after you land to these hotels using one of the group shuttles, Prime Time or Super Shuttle (about $20pp plus tip). These can be reserved in advance or you can pick them up at curbside at the airport. LAX is about 45 mins away from San Pedro without traffic. If you stay at the airport you will either have to get a private cab, or maybe the hotel can arrange a group shuttle. The Crown Plaza and Sunrise are walking distance to restaurants, and the pier is right there. The Doubletree is about a mile south of the pier.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Will have my TA look into this. We are #5 on the wait list for the Hyatt in Long Beach with Princess. I would prefer to stay close to the port, so there is no hassle the day of embarkation.

This will be my sister-in-law's first cruise with princess, but it will be my 26th, and this is the first time that I will be cruising without my late husband.

Thank you again.

We have sailed out of San Pedro several times. Prime time shuttle is a great way to book your transfer from the airport, you can book a round trip back as well for your return home from the pier or a hotel if you are staying over.

We travel down 2 days early because we are arriving from Northern Canada in the winter never know what the weather will be like. I booked the hotel using Priceline and choose a hotel in the vicinity of the pier. Priceline is an online booking service. If you have never used it just google Priceline. This year we are at Crown Plaza and received a special Price of 105.00 per night including taxes. The hotel offers a transfer to the ship but should you wish to use a taxi the distance is not very far. After the cruise when you return to port if you have a late departure flight, because we stayed here prior to the cruise, we can store our luggage at the Crown Plaza on the return day for a few hours. We can enjoy the hotel venues or wonder around the area rather than sit at the airport. We cruise mid January 2015.

Hope this helps.

We will be cruising out of San Pedro next month and as usual, when we fly into LAX we book Craig's Limo for the two of us. Their rates on their web site are currently listed at $55 for the two of us. Beats taking a shuttle. And if you have a lot of luggage they will meet and greet at baggage claim for $15 more.:)

We have sailed out of San Pedro several times. Prime time shuttle is a great way to book your transfer from the airport, you can book a round trip back as well for your return home from the pier or a hotel if you are staying over.

We travel down 2 days early because we are arriving from Northern Canada in the winter never know what the weather will be like. I booked the hotel using Priceline and choose a hotel in the vicinity of the pier. Priceline is an online booking service. If you have never used it just google Priceline. This year we are at Crown Plaza and received a special Price of 105.00 per night including taxes. The hotel offers a transfer to the ship but should you wish to use a taxi the distance is not very far. After the cruise when you return to port if you have a late departure flight, because we stayed here prior to the cruise, we can store our luggage at the Crown Plaza on the return day for a few hours. We can enjoy the hotel venues or wonder around the area rather than sit at the airport. We cruise mid January 2015.

Hope this helps.

Please help....how did you get that great rate for Crown Plaza? We will be booking for our cruise on May 2nd. Thank you in advance!

IMHO, the easiest thing for a senior given you're already booked at the LAX Marriott is to call Super Shuttle and have them pick you up and take you to the pier.

I think some people responding are thinking in terms of someone younger. :) While a senior, I'm pretty independent and capable of handling my own bags but I often travel with my sister who while only two years older, isn't.

So, my advice in this instance is to keep it simple. Stay with your hotel and have your TA book Super shuttle for you.

Ok, crazy question...have never used Priceline...did you pick your own price? And if so how do you know the hotel you will receive if you are looking for the Crown Plaza?

You need to familiarize yourself with the bidding site which will guide you and give you good information. Then you see which hotels are usually obtained from zeroing into the specific area and stars. Eventually you know that in San Pedro, the only hotels you will get are Crown and Doubletree and I've never gotten anything other than Crown.

IMHO, the easiest thing for a senior given you're already booked at the LAX Marriott is to call Super Shuttle and have them pick you up and take you to the pier.

I think some people responding are thinking in terms of someone younger. :) While a senior, I'm pretty independent and capable of handling my own bags but I often travel with my sister who while only two years older, isn't.

So, my advice in this instance is to keep it simple. Stay with your hotel and have your TA book Super shuttle for you.

Why a shuttle over a town car?

We will be cruising out of San Pedro next month and as usual, when we fly into LAX we book Craig's Limo for the two of us. Their rates on their web site are currently listed at $55 for the two of us. Beats taking a shuttle. And if you have a lot of luggage they will meet and greet at baggage claim for $15 more.:)

Update: I just spoke with Craig's Limo and now the $55 rate is for one person. For two passengers it is $85 which includes tax and tip.

You need to familiarize yourself with the bidding site which will guide you and give you good information. Then you see which hotels are usually obtained from zeroing into the specific area and stars. Eventually you know that in San Pedro, the only hotels you will get are Crown and Doubletree and I've never gotten anything other than Crown.

Thank you Pia!

Ok, crazy question...have never used Priceline...did you pick your own price? And if so how do you know the hotel you will receive if you are looking for the Crown Plaza?

I have never used pricing sites myself, but I believe if you go to the Western Destinations board, you'll find a sticky thread on which people have been posting what amounts have worked. The Doubletree and Crowne Plaza are both 3-1/2 star hotels for San Pedro. Do not put in "Los Angeles."

Those two hotels will shuttle you to the port the next morning -- a quick trip without having to sit in rush hour traffic from the airport area. In fact, I do not suggest staying by LAX. Think strip malls galore in the literal sense:eek:. The one time we stayed at the LAX Marriott was because we had an early morning flight the next day to Honolulu (for our honeymoon).

At least with a SP hotel, you'll be close to the port and depending on what time your flight gets in, you might be able to walk to a close restaurant (unless it's pouring rain -- which is something that we Angelenos need right now with our horrific drought) and have dinner.

The LB Hyatt would be fine, except they might not shuttle over to the Port of Los Angeles and you would have to be careful to tell your taxi or shuttle driver to take you to San Pedro and not to the port of Long Beach (which Carnival uses).

Thank you for your prompt reply. Will have my TA look into this. We are #5 on the wait list for the Hyatt in Long Beach with Princess. I would prefer to stay close to the port, so there is no hassle the day of embarkation.

This will be my sister-in-law's first cruise with princess, but it will be my 26th, and this is the first time that I will be cruising without my late husband.

Thank you again.

So sorry for your loss. I hope you have a great cruise!

Craig's Limo is $55 for one person, would that be the same if going to Union Station from San Pedro instead of LAX. Any idea what a taxi would cost to Union Station??

While I have used Craig's limo in the past, the latest reviews have not been so great and the fact that the price of $55 was for the town car, not one person.

I don't think that I can recommend them anymore. There may have been a change of ownership.

Hi

Go to Priceline then choose express deal, city type San Pedro, do the date of your nite to say in hotel then out date, follow prompts. When the next screen pops up scroll down to San Pedro. The price is $88 currently per nite for May 1 and total of 108.99 with tax. You can look at the map of the area there is a button to touch to pop this up on the screen. It is a good area. Look at the site you will understand it, it is pretty well detailed. You can purchase cancellation insurance for $5.00 per night. Once you enter your personal info and payment type and accept the offer. They send you immediately the name of the hotel and I make sure I print everything. It is not a returnable deal, no cancellation except the insurability clause if you bought insurance. Hope this helps.

We had rooms booked for us using priceline for a wedding and what a screw up. The hotel chain would have nothing to do with us. when we got there the reservations were not on file and no record of them. 10 people all together. The hotel was booked no rooms available. Priceline was useless in helping. They blamed the hotel the hotel blamed priceline. I don't care if there prices are 1/10 of what the hotel charges. I also have other friends that have had a similar problem using the discount web sites. Learned my lesson.

We had rooms booked for us using priceline for a wedding and what a screw up. The hotel chain would have nothing to do with us. when we got there the reservations were not on file and no record of them. 10 people all together. The hotel was booked no rooms available. Priceline was useless in helping. They blamed the hotel the hotel blamed priceline. I don't care if there prices are 1/10 of what the hotel charges. I also have other friends that have had a similar problem using the discount web sites. Learned my lesson.

You had all these reservations and didn't confirm with the hotel before showing up? I think you need to take some responsibility too.