Traveling family of five questions

andriamay

Hello we are not brand new cruisers (2 cruises so far) but have not brought our kids yet. Were planning a trip possibly next year for our family of 5. What options are out there I have seen some

Ocean view cabins that have room for five, all the way up to Haven Suites. We'd like to stay around 4K if possible and are super flexible in our dates as were a homeschool family. We'd LOVE to do Disney but not sure it's in the budget. Any tips for my

Research would be greatly appreciated! Also any cruise ships/lines you have loved? Our kids will be 3-8years old approximately depending on when we sail. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears as though you've sailed RCI before, so I would suggest looking again at them as they have several non-suite stateroom options that will accommodate 5 comfortably. (some vary ship to ship). There will also be suite's available depending on your budget. Their children's programs are also very good and will have separate groups targeted to each different age range.

Although our children are all adults now we have sailed with them many times and they grew up in RCI's children programs and enjoyed them quite a bit. We also have sailed in multiple combinations of stateroom categories with them and always found RCI affordable and with suitable arrangements for whatever ages they were at the time and who was with us on the various cruises.

I would suggest talking with a Travel Agent who specializes in cruises or the cruise lines directly and describe your family and what you are looking for for their best advise as well as any responses you receive here.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Don't forget about connecting (not adjoining) rooms...that way, parents have their own space and privacy, kid's have their own space (and tv!) and keep their messes contained in their own space, yet you have immediate access from INSIDE your cabin to the kids! Usually, it's less expensive than a larger suite.

On Voyager/Freedom class ships, they have a few balcony cabins that connect to an inside cabin...that's VERY cost effective...and the kids don't really care about or use a balcony!

I agree with the idea of connecting cabins. They go fast so book early for best selection. The 3 kids can stay in one together and you get 2 bathrooms. Royal Caribbean has family cabins that sleep 6 but all of you will be together in the room so no privacy and there is only one bathroom.

MSC have super family cabins - they are two connecting cabins but charged at one price and sleep up to 6.

With MSC kids sail free so if you book a suite only you and your husband pay the suite price and the kids pay port charges only.

We have travelled on 5 MSC cruises so far and have loved them all. The kids have a great time and are well looked after. They are actually cherished by all the staff who bed over backwards to include them.

Celebrity has family rooms that sleep 5, but they only have one bathroom. The ones on the S - class ships have a room with a king bed for the parents, another room with bunk beds for 2 kids, and a sofa for the 5th person to sleep. It has a table and chairs in the shared room and a balcony to enjoy. Pricing will vary depending on time of year.

Those who have spent time in the kids club seem to like it for the ages of your kids, and if you take a sailing when most children are in school, there will be few children but more one-to-one with the kids club staff. They do not have the water slides and climbing walls, but your little ones won't be upset at not being big enough, either.

Edited by Algebralovr

I would recommend a Carnival Dream class ship. The cabins for 5 are very nice and have 2 bathrooms. You can definately do the cruise for under 4k especially if you aren't counting airfare in that. Your 4k budget could cover cabin, grats, excursions and extras. The Dream class ships are very nice. We took our family of 10 on the Dream after my husband and I had sailed her with some friends the year before. Our kids aged 7-21 had an amazing time. Next kid cruise is going to be on the Magic next fall, during non peak time. Love the homeschool schedule :D