Price drops on airfare

misty57

With the current concern for the safety of flying ( illness related), I am looking at our airfare and found a slight drop on one leg of our trip. Has anyone had experience with getting a credit with Southwest? I want the same flight, so I am kind of nervous about canceling and rebooking. Should I call them or just cancel and rebook?

With the current concern for the safety of flying ( illness related), I am looking at our airfare and found a slight drop on one leg of our trip. Has anyone had experience with getting a credit with Southwest? I want the same flight, so I am kind of nervous about canceling and rebooking. Should I call them or just cancel and rebook?

Yes I always take advantage of price drops. However unless you've booked a refundable ticket SW will only issue a credit. The credit has to be used within a year from the original booking date and Not the date that the credit was issued. So you need to evaluate if it's worth going for depending on the time period left for you have use the credit. For example if you booked the ticket 7 months ago you need to determine the likelihood that you'll be booking another ticket with in the next 5 months.

Edited by xxoocruiser

It's very easy to refare your flights online at Southwest. Log in and click on the 'cancel or modify' button. Then select the 'new' flight for the one(s) you want to refare. You don't have to cancel first and rebook separately. Xxoo is correct that your credit must be used within a year of the original booking date.

One would hope with the price of crude oil tanking, airfares would go down.

But I doubt it will drop that fast. The drop in the price of oil might give some additional wriggle room if a flight isn't selling.

On the other hand, if we see continuing irrational panic over the ebola issues, we will see a significant drop in commercial flying, like we did after 9/11. Airlines will be at or near bankruptcy, and the economy will be hit as well. So the fares would be dropping.

As I understand it, airlines get multi-year contracts on their fuel. So I wouldn't anticipate a drop unless the oil prices stay low.

For some reason, most all airlines have stopped fuel hedges, so they buy on the open market. that said, they are making record profits the last few quarters, don't expect them to reward their clients with fuel saving money. I hope they do, but doubt it seriously.