2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

they didn't just miss a port tho. .they are coming back a day early.

so yeah. . it's nice they are offering some compensation.

(just wait until those that have flights the next day start to complain about having to book a hotel room for Sat night now)

Can you tell me where you heard they are coming back a day early? We have family members on board the Magic, and I had not yet heard that detail.

Can you tell me where you heard they are coming back a day early? We have family members on board the Magic, and I had not yet heard that detail.

I follow Carnival Cruise Director John Heald on FB :)

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald?fref=nf

I don't see him reporting Saturday arrival tho..he mentions Sunday morning.

maybe I saw it on TV?. .but I do recall seeing something about coming back a day early -- that's why I thought to myself the compensation was fair.

but i TOTALLY could have imagined it, if you aren't seeing it anywhere else :)

edit: found it. . it was in the Washington Post online

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

but they have now adjusted the article to show "Updated and Corrected" at the top of the article.

Edited by bert425

The original assumption came from the carnival website's ship tracker. It isn't displaying correctly for Magic.

I heard it on one news segment. I believe the cruise was cut short because of not being able to get into Cozumel. They are being compensated well. This will give an extra day to scrub down the ship so the public will feel better getting on it Sunday.

Fox News just reported that the Carnival Magic was refused being allowed to dock in Cozumel, which was the next stop on the cruise.

Apparently Mexico has no problems with denying entrace to American s. Then again...their infrastructure could not handle Ebola. Ours is struggling. And they are trying to look out for their citizens.

Something is happening. We just don't know what. Prayer always helps. For the infected and to spare anymore.

Why her's?

Oh please stop now she is in quarantine and she works in the lab and she is the one the CDC is looking for. But you knew that already.

Fwiw maybe everyone's blood should be tested but that won't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I believe if, in fact, she was told to self monitor, she should have known not to go on a cruise. If that is the case, I feel, she is like so many others who have not purchased insurance and feel they are going no matter what. How many times have people posted that they lie about being sick because they aren't giving up their vacations and it was only a cold or the flu or whatever. I doubt this will change anyone's opinion about cruising or flying to the cruise if they aren't feeling well.

On the other side, if she was not told to self monitor, then it's the fault of the CDC or the hospital for not having people that could be infected quarantined. Although, we all know how that works in that in Texas they had to put guards near a location where the quarantined person decided to go out instead of being stuck in her/his house or whatever it was. That was on the news a few days ago.

So many questions on this and so few answers. I do hope this latest person does not come down with Ebola so that all those others on the cruise will be reassured that all is ok with them too.

Dear R.N.'s on this thread.

Is not the preventive treatment for avoiding Ebola much the same as for avoiding Norvo Virus? They are both not air borne in that they don't float in the air like TB when one coughs. I understand that if you stand close to someone infected, and they cough or sneeze on you...those droplets that land on you...if you touch them..and they enter any orifice you have.....you could be infected.

With Norvo, which I had..once....we were told not to touch door knobs, flushing toilets or to wash hands immediately if doing so. To open the rest room door with a paper towel. ( to this day, in a public RR, I will use my skirt to open the door..if nothing else is handy). Chlorx wipes were recommended to wipe down phones..etc.

Is this effective against Ebola...when you travel..dine in restaurants? Probably over caution. But better more than less.

Am I thinking correctly? I am not a Medical Professional...obviously. Hope I get some opinions from some experts on this board. I have learned MUCH that is very helpful from these boards.

Fox News just reported that the Carnival Magic was refused being allowed to dock in Cozumel, which was the next stop on the cruise.

Apparently Mexico has no problems with denying entrace to American s. Then again...their infrastructure could not handle Ebola. Ours is struggling. And they are trying to look out for their citizens.

Something is happening. We just don't know what. Prayer always helps. For the infected and to spare anymore.

It is simply payback for when the US cruise lines boycotted Mexico over Swine Flu.

Folks,

We are on the Freedom next sunday. I don't want to go. Don't want to get on a plane, or get on a ship. Carnival can do the screening, but people will lie just to get on.

I don't think putting my families well being in jeopardy is smart right now.

Your thoughts are welcomed...

Nobody would suggest that you place yourself or your family into jeopardy. However, you might consider what you determine to constitute "jeopardy", and how much you're really protecting you family by denying them a cruise vacation.

You could stay home and watch TV instead... but then there's always the chance that a rogue meteor might choose to make you its target right through the roof and to your "safe" sanctuary on the sofa.

If you consider the odds of all sorts of calamities that might befall you, close to home or away on a cruise... being infected by Ebola is WAY down on that list. Probably lower than things like your cruise ship striking an iceberg on a Caribbean cruise, or that person right in front of you on the buffet line exploding after eating just one too many pieces of cheesecake.

Life is risk. As it turns out, the folks who make a living insuring against the risks you might face on a cruise vacation... namely the travel insurance companies... have raised their rates by exactly ZERO in response to the Ebola "scare".

I'll be on the Freedom in about three weeks... and I'm leaving my tinfoil hat at home.

they didn't just miss a port tho. .they are coming back a day early.

so yeah. . it's nice they are offering some compensation.

(just wait until those that have flights the next day start to complain about having to book a hotel room for Sat night now)

I bet the chances are very high that hotels will refuse them anyway as they will know they are from the ship

Car rentals will too

Just sayin that this could play out this way not sayin it will.

Personally I am concerned the pax may not be able to even get off the ship. Oh geez

Was just sitting here thinking.....

Making a couple of dangerous assumptions:

3,000 pax on Magic this week (likely a low number)

Average cost of a cabin ship wide and all sailings of $600.00 per person.

This latest event just cost Carnival around $1,500,000.00

3,000 x 200 (obc pp) = 600,000

3,000 x 300 (half off future trip) = 900,000

Total, $1,500,000

Amazing!

I know you can adjust these numbers for all kinds of factors like not all will use the half off future cruise etc, etc, etc.

If I had a cruise leaving from Texas and knew a bunch of nurses had just been given three weeks off due to Ebola exposure, I think I would ask every person boarding whether they had been exposed. It is not right for Carnival to put people's lives at risk.

Dear R.N.'s on this thread.

Is not the preventive treatment for avoiding Ebola much the same as for avoiding Norvo Virus? They are both not air borne in that they don't float in the air like TB when one coughs. I understand that if you stand close to someone infected, and they cough or sneeze on you...those droplets that land on you...if you touch them..and they enter any orifice you have.....you could be infected.

With Norvo, which I had..once....we were told not to touch door knobs, flushing toilets or to wash hands immediately if doing so. To open the rest room door with a paper towel. ( to this day, in a public RR, I will use my skirt to open the door..if nothing else is handy). Chlorx wipes were recommended to wipe down phones..etc.

Is this effective against Ebola...when you travel..dine in restaurants? Probably over caution. But better more than less.

Am I thinking correctly? I am not a Medical Professional...obviously. Hope I get some opinions from some experts on this board. I have learned MUCH that is very helpful from these boards.

Clorox (bleach) is what they are using in Africa to clean everything and it seems to knock the virus off of surfaces. Where the spread comres in is handling bodies like Mr. Duncan did. He attended a pregnant woman who died from Ebola and he also helped another woman who was also helping him with the pregnant woman. She too died. Mr. Duncan kept the sick women away from health professionals, and he high tailed it out of Africa because he knew how infectious it was. They say it isn't airborne, but some professionals are saying it could be. We are not being given the straight skinny on this.

Edited by elliair

I think we do. Much ado about nothing. When the hysteria debarks there will be nothing left to clean on the ship.

True. But the hysteria has already leaked out over the airwaves and the ether. Who's gonna clean that up? To ease the panic, the prudent thing to do would be to continue the isolation until the lab supervisor can be pronounced clean . . . which she will be. (3 weeks--no symptoms)

If I had a cruise leaving from Texas and knew a bunch of nurses had just been given three weeks off due to Ebola exposure, I think I would ask every person boarding whether they had been exposed. It is not right for Carnival to put people's lives at risk.

Do you really think they would tell the truth? They've booked a cruise, probably no trip insurance, they're freaked out, and all they wanna do is have fun. Those forms we're given before we board asking about your health, how many answer them honestly?

I spoke with Carnival. The health care worker is quarantined in the ships infirmary. I had the same concern regarding her cabin as others have expressed, as I am booked to sail on Magic this Sunday. Carnival told me the CDC has restricted her cabin for sale on the next cruise. Workers are supposedly disinfecting it.

Magic may or may not be able to sail based upon the response of the countries she is scheduled to visit. My wife's first reaction on hearing about this was "there is no way in h**l we are getting on that boat". Public reaction may cause her to stay in port. It will be interesting to see.

Interesting thread full of fact and fiction...I personally can't distinguish them. BUT, I will say, I would not be surprised if every pax on the ship will have issues coming home, including staff, but ONLY if the worker is actually sick. Conflicting reports on that, obviously.

If she is, in fact, sick, those pax are screwed and might have an extended 21 day vacation at sea...with someone who has Ebola. So scary.

One way to guarantee quarantine!!!

Bad any way you look at it, Chicken Little or not.

I bet the chances are very high that hotels will refuse them anyway as they will know they are from the ship

Car rentals will too

Just sayin that this could play out this way not sayin it will.

Personally I am concerned the pax may not be able to even get off the ship. Oh geez

impossible

Each one of the 5 cruises I've been on in the past year (on four different cruise lines) has had me sign a health affidavit (asking about things such as recent fever, nausea, etc) before embarcation. The cruise lines DO already "screen" for health issues... I suppose the next step would have to be some sort of actual examination (taking temperature, etc). But as long as there's no real penalty for lying in response to the health questions, those who are determined to board regardless will say whatever they need to.

I didn't mean only intimate, but you have to be rather close with someone - handling their fluids, blood, etc. Healthcare workers would obviously be the most sick. She would have needed to be sneezing on things, touching people etc to pass it I would think. It takes rather direct contact.

The fact that I quoted first were from the CDC web site. All that someone would have to do is sneeze, cough and get body fluids on a elevator button, door handle or a handrail and you come behind them and touch that item. It could be a few hours later not right after them as it can live on suffices for a few hours. If you have a cut on your hand or touch your face you can get it.