Rough Navigator reviews after refurb...

Country Music..Thank God! Another line, unnamed, got into CRAP, I mean rap....they learned and switched.

While living is Texas doesn't make one a fan of country music - not my genre- I will take it over rap any day of the week.

No one is going to find every bit of the entertainment on a ship to be to their liking. But overall, I have found RCCL does a nice job. They cook, clean, entertain me and take me places and at the times that I go these days, they do it for a reasonable price.

Edited by bethco

Good to hear, we had done RCCL before out of Galveston and entertainment was great, hope they get Derek Lewis back he had a great show in the Pub every night

We've been in touch with Derek over the years ... actually attended his wedding aboard Voyager. The issue for him has always been second-hand smoke. Until recently, whether to allow smoking in the pubs was left to the discretion of the hotel manager. Voyager left and Mariner arrived ... smoking was permitted. He couldn't work things out with Royal Caribbean, and has been working on Celebrity ships (ironically owned by RCI) out of Florida, while continuing the Alaska season on the Rhapsody. This time, however, after almost 20 years, he's taking a few months off to care for his mother in New Mexico. We're hoping that all goes well, and that he'll be back sailing out of Galveston soon, now that the new non-smoking policy is fleet-wide. He's a very special entertainer and a good friend.

Edited by jewopaho

The added staterooms utilized space previously wasted, or underutilized. Namely the Dungeon nightclub on two levels and frequently empty all day and night, and the forward area of deck 12. I certainly did not miss the loss of public space.

I think you will be proud of the ship you recommended to your parents!

DW&I will miss the Dungeon, we really liked it! But thanks for your kind assurances.

Stopped reading reviews many moons ago and haven't had a bad cruise yet.

Then you probably missed our review - we had a great time and hope the weather is better, that the worn areas in the dining room and hallways are spruced up and the lead singers in the shows have changed out.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=245331

Overall we had a great cruise earlier this year. The issue on our side of ship was that the toilets would not work at all. The other side got the explosions. Some A-hole flushed a towel and it blocked the lines. It took several hours to resolve the problem caused by a passenger. It was not RCI's fault.

Then you probably missed our review - we had a great time and hope the weather is better, that the worn areas in the dining room and hallways are spruced up and the lead singers in the shows have changed out.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=245331

We did Navigator before the upgrades and loved the ship. We would've done a before and after but once it moved to Galveston the flights were a lot more than we pay to get to FL.

The ship is in great shape. All the public areas are in good condition. The bathroom for our cabin obviously missed out on the refurb, as it had some cig burns on the counter and the door frame had some rust, but it was clean. The cabin was in good shape with a new flat panel TV. Food in the dining room was great. The crew was happy and service was great. The reviews I've seen don't match my experience last week. Don't worry and have fun!

First, I do like country music - a lot! Beyond that, I also like a variety of other music types with the exception of rap. I'm not even sure rap is music. If they have to include rap at all, it should be in a venue where you don't have to hear it.

I like both kinds of music - country and western!

While living is Texas doesn't make one a fan of country music - not my genre- I will take it over rap any day of the week. No one is going to find every bit of the entertainment on a ship to be to their liking. But overall, I have found RCCL does a nice job.

I didn't clarify my point ... sorry about that. Most cruises have several live bands, the "primary" one being a group that plays a bit of everything ("top 40," if you will). They perform on the pool deck, in the Promenade ... virtually all major venues. Navigator has Bubba ... a one-trick pony (strictly country). In addition, the recorded music played throughout the ship (we hear it when we go for coffee early) is of the same genre. I'm certain that Bubba and his band are terrific guys, and this is nothing personal. My point ... just vary it a bit. No, I'm not asking for a hip-hop group ... just some non-country thrown in the mix.

I agree ... Royal does a great job. We have five cruises booked right now with them. While we don't find any one aspect of the cruise experience particularly outstanding, they do everything very well ... and the value is outstanding.

Al

We really enjoyed the Navigator last year, so much so that we were able to convince family this year at Thanksgiving. I was going to send my Mom a link to the customer reviews for the Navigator but reports of exploding toilets and worn wear items after the refurb has me second guessing myself.

Someone please tell me they did more in the recent refurb than replace free public space with revenue space so I don't have to spend the next month worrying that I will have to spend my cruise making excuses for RCCL to my parents!

The ship is gorgeous, service was exceptional and we had a marvelous time on our 9-29-14 cruise.

Al - did you not try the Cosmopolitan Club at night (10:30pm). It was great. The DJ played a mix of music. Some 70's; 80's; and top 40. It was packed every night and alot of fun.

We did, and enjoyed it ... just wish there was a greater variety of music throughout the day.

• 1 month later...
It is nice to read posts like yours.

With so many different views, I have come to the conclusion, that you cannot make everyone happy.

Isn't that the truth....could you imagine if you were an executive in charge of the food and beverage services.....gosh, from reading food reviews you would think a lot of people 'starved' while on your ship....and we KNOW that isn't the case. The scale at home proves that!