So Cheers is back to a flat $49.50 per day?

Rh2458

Three things

1. I agree that Carnival can change pricing, even with the Cheers program. I believe that whomever is over the Public Relations department should be seriously looked at for just how inept they are with their job responsibilities.

Did they not learn that giving advance notice to their customers during the change in the smoking policy - prepare those who had future cruises bought and paid for ? And, had they NOT forseen a negative backlash from NOT informing their customers until the last minute despite (I believe) was a decision made some time ago, and NOT just yesterday or last week about the Cheers program ?

they only changed the program about 2 months ago. so the fact that they may have made the decision 'last week' may very well be true.

further, they never publicize that they are going to raise prices of the drinks themselves, spa services, or whatever else in advance, so while i can sympathize with those affected it is really no different than any time they tweak pricing of anything. while i realize this is a large expense, it is really no different than establishing the 'value equation', to you, for anything you buy on the ship, when you board.

2. With prices going back, will the structure of starting Cheers on Day 2.also go in to effect ? (I don't care about Texas departures)

there has been no announcement regarding this, but even when it was 'unclear', the option to buy on day 2 always remained, so i assume it still will. but that is speculation on my part.

Three things3. Regarding the excel sheet on pricing, what % of people drink 15 a day ? Less than 10 %, more than 50% ?.

I can understand the 15 drink column, it's relevant to those who do drink the maximum, - BUT, is anyone interested in knowing how much money you can save with drinking 5 or 10, as opposed to 15 ? I'm a math wiz and don't mind doing the calculation, just wondered why that column is there for 15 drinks , unless a large majority >75 %, drink that much

i believe the 15 drink column is there to demonstrate and show maximum savings. i didn't make it so i can't say for sure, but that's how i always looked at it. the fact that there isn't a 5 or 10 is probably for the same reason there isn't a 7 column, for those who are sure they'll drink 7 drinks a day. it's a break even -> max savings sort of thing the way i look at it.

Oh man!! Not good!! Well, I got to purchase it with the low pricing twice, so I guess I lucked out. The breakeven point would go up two drinks for me, so it would still work out but......

Just gives you that much more of a reason to enjoy Cheers. ;)

I hope you're enjoying your cruise on the Splendor!

Rats! I was hoping to take advantage of the lower prices on our cruise sept2015! Have done cheers twice at higher price on 7 day cruise and barely made it to break even a few days.

There is one advantage to the new/ higher set price of 49.95. The shorter cruises initially did not offer cheers and when they lowered/staggered the price, the shorter cruises had a higher price per day. Now, their price on shorter cruises will be actually lower in some cases and at least it's still going to be offered on all ships? Right? So, what I'm saying is that all cruises will now have it when they did not originally. Might help some people going on short cruises and maybe that's where Carnival should have offered from the start being those are considered the "party" cruises!

As a lot have already mentioned, I got tired of trying to make the break even point after a few days!

Slow your roll people!!! I boarded the Splendor yesterday and paid 37.50 a day for Cheers, so unless the Splendor didn't get that message, you need to wait for other people to report in before freaking out.

The new pricing is at the Carnival website. I think it's pretty clear what the new price is and it doesn't have a declining per day rate based on the number of days of the cruise.

Is this truly the prices now? Because a frozen concoction such as a kiss on the lips or a daiquiri just went up from $7.50 ($8.63 with gratutity) to $7.95 ($9.14 with grat.) and so did all of the others.

If this chart is accurate - no wonder they raised Cheers.

Be vewy quiet. Most haven't figured it out.

It's a new program. Obviously they are tooling it to see what works best. I think they believed the sliding scale would bring in more participants and thus offset the price decrease. It clearly did not, so they reverted to the original formula (plus allowing frozen drinks.) They should have run it as a limited time promotion if they simply wanted to experiment with the pricing; they could then have made it permanent if it worked, and would not have to deal with the obvious PR misstep of suddenly and without notice raising it again.

Sure they can do whatever they want, but I think they should have done some projections to see if it would work in their favor. Not come up with a sliding scale that was less expensive for most of their sailings, and then change it back to the flat higher price. And for people with sailings so close to the change date, yeah they send emails about everything else. They could have sent a generic one to everyone about this just in case you were planning to purchase it.

Other than it is their prerogative, why raise the price of drinks? Because cruise fares are lower? Is the goal just to get people on the ship, then passengers will spend money?

quite possibly. reference all the 'free cruises' they've been giving away for the past several months / almost a year.

they get you on the ship, and then expect to take your money. unfortunately, their seeming random manner of selecting who gets such offers probably backfires more often than they'd like - in other words, providing free cruises to the people who intend to spend NO money onboard.

but, yeah. :confused:

It's a new program. Obviously they are tooling it to see what works best. I think they believed the sliding scale would bring in more participants and thus offset the price decrease. It clearly did not, so they reverted to the original formula (plus allowing frozen drinks.) They should have run it as a limited time promotion if they simply wanted to experiment with the pricing; they could then have made it permanent if it worked, and would not have to deal with the obvious PR misstep of suddenly and without notice raising it again.

they have always allowed frozen alcoholic drinks, and indeed virgin frozen drinks, which do NOT count against the cheers 15 maximum.

I take it most skipped right over my post #21 too then.

Makes me wonder if they are getting to raise the prices of individual drinks as well.

i read it. but your post was speculative. 'makes me wonder'... not 'they raised drink prices...

Be vewy quiet. Most haven't figured it out.

but, so they did raise the drink prices too eh?

they're slick. :rolleyes:

Carnival just took a big hit last week in the news and in the pocket plus it's almost the end of Hurricane season soooo my guess is they need to make some profit before the end of the fiscal year idk

Maybe next August the $$$ will drop again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

Was just reading the handwriting on the wall...

you may very well be right. i wouldn't doubt it! i haven't yet seen categorical evidence yet that confirms the point, nor am i on a cruise this week :(

but... can you please tell me the lottery numbers for tomorrow, if you are right? :)

lol. good observation / speculation regardless. perhaps you are about to be proved clairvoyant. :D

In regards to the short term, for those who are cruising TODAY and decided to buy Cheers, in lieu of their regular Bon Voyage libations, this could be seen as poor customer service on Carnival's part.

Changes in pricing for gas, food, ect is ongoing, sure, however this is a planned vacation with expectations from Carnival, a specific company for a specific amount of time.

Going with the flow is all part of being on vacation but when some view these changes in a negative manner, then Carnival will be hearing about it.

I purchased today the 4 beers in a cooler with koozies and the price was the same as it was last week when I was thinking about it.

I might get diet coke and bottled water, but I didn't price alcoholic bevs, so I couldn't tell if there was a price change.

Slow your roll people!!! I boarded the Splendor yesterday and paid 37.50 a day for Cheers, so unless the Splendor didn't get that message, you need to wait for other people to report in before freaking out.
You lucked out and got in on the last day. It was reported by a gentleman who boarded the Breeze today that the cost was over 900 for a party of 2 for the 8 day sailing under the new price structure.

In regards to the short term, for those who are cruising TODAY and decided to buy Cheers, in lieu of their regular Bon Voyage libations, this could be seen as poor customer service on Carnival's part.

Changes in pricing for gas, food, ect is ongoing, sure, however this is a planned vacation with expectations from Carnival, a specific company for a specific amount of time.

Going with the flow is all part of being on vacation but when some view these changes in a negative manner, then Carnival will be hearing about it.

They could still order bottles through Room Service for the same price as Bon Voyage.

Gas prices have dropped, so driving to the port will be cheaper.