So Cheers is back to a flat $49.50 per day?

Rh2458

It makes sense to me that the price went up. I was wondering how long it would take Carnival to either tightened up the drink restrictions or raise the rates when I read the thread about how to get the most from the drink program and it included such helpful hints about stockpiling beer in cabins and taking it ashore.

Unlimited soda and water is not included?

Beverages included in the program are:

-All spirits, including cocktails and frozen drinks, as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $10.00 or lower menu price

-Sodas and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails

In addition, guests who purchase CHEERS! are entitled to:

-25% discount off the menu price for bottled water

-25% discount off the menu price for any spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink

-25% discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/My_Awesome_Bar_Program.pdf

Not sure if this is new or not but I thought 7+ day cruises was $37 a day. I just boarded the Breeze a few hours ago and it's 49.95. Having said that I still purchased it but was disappointed. It came to $919 for 2 after gratuity for an 8 night cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's crazy when I'm getting bombarded with cruise deals for $199 for a week.

I agree notice should have been given. They gave notice on the change of the smoking policy. I don't understand their thinking on this one. RCCL has a better deal on their drink package, with no cap on drinks! I will definitely rethink what line I'm taking on my next cruise!

This ticks me off. First they lower the price, then they say they can adjust on a whim, and now back to the before price. All in a couple months. Sounds like they need some new beards.

Amazing the bad PR they generate for themselves without any help from the competition.

Well, Carnival just went from getting $600 to $0 from me for alcohol on my next cruise. Going out of San Juan, so I will make sure I take full advantage of the liquor store in the pier. ;)

This is just ignorant. Yes the 1st revision was a better deal but the increase (original prices) is still a deal. Carnival is a business and if the previous price structure was not beneficial to them, they did what any successful business would do. Carnival is not ripping anyone off. You don't like it, don't get it. Simple. I do agree that some kind of notice would have been nice.

This is just ignorant. Yes the 1st revision was a better deal but the increase (original prices) is still a deal. Carnival is a business and if the previous price structure was not beneficial to them' date=' they did what any successful business would do. Carnival is not ripping anyone off. You don't like it, don't get it. Simple. I do agree that some kind of notice would have been nice.[/quote']

I do agree that a little bit of advanced notice would have been nice, but how do they decide how much notice is sufficient...especially given the fact I see many people have booked cruises two years out? I don't think there would be a time frame that would make everyone happy, so they just did what they had to do to protect their business.

I do agree that a little bit of advanced notice would have been nice, but how do they decide how much notice is sufficient...especially given the fact I see many people have booked cruises two years out? I don't think there would be a time frame that would make everyone happy, so they just did what they had to do to protect their business.

Yes...it was wonderful for all that boarded their ships today to find out that it was the old price. Wonderful!!!!!!! ANY NOTICE would have been fine....not NO notice.

With the old verbiage reflecting seasonality pricing, this doesn't surprise me. When that verbiage was removed, the replacement stated prices were subject to change at the time of embarkation and any other price would be considered void.

Perhaps they're trying to get ready for high season?

Edited by Disconnections

Yes...it was wonderful for all that boarded their ships today to find out that it was the old price. Wonderful!!!!!!! ANY NOTICE would have been fine....not NO notice.

I hear ya! What would have been considered enough notice for you not to be upset about it?

I love Carnival, but I'm sorry it's not about making everyone happy. For starters, companies can project profit and loss. If they didn't think the scale idea would work, then don't do it in the first place. And if you decide to change it back, it's perfectly reasonable to let your customers who are most immediately affected know. A week or two notice of a price change would have gone a long way in not looking sloppy and haphazard. I and others wll suck it and have time to adjust with ease, because my trip is way next Summer. But to board and then find out a drink package is more than $10 more per person per day is not good business. And that lousy disclaimer about being subject to change doesn't cut it.

So do you still have to purchase for the entire cruise or can you do it daily?

We only drink heavy on sea days so if we had the option to just purchase for three days that would be wonderful.

Entire cruise. You can purchase on second day but it has to be for every day until debarking day.

How long has the program included frozen drinks? I bought it on my cruise in February and they excluded frozen cocktails.

Since it started.

I have seen different answers to this. Is bottled water included in this program?

No, but you can get a 25% discount, I believe.

But then you have to keep it up EVERY DAY after that. That's where they get you. The demand falls off after the first couple of days.

That was why Cheers! wasn't a good choice for us. By day 4 of an 8 day, I wasn't interested in drinking 7 or 8 drinks a day anymore. The calories were too much for me. Even DH, who can pound 'em down, was over it by day 5 or 6. Now, if we were still in our 20s and didn't have a young kid with us, Cheers would have been a huge bargain, but now in our 40s, it wasn't worth it.

Very true, but why would you purchase the cheers package if you only drank beer?

Because if you drink a lot of beer, it's still worth it.

Unlimited soda and water is not included?

Unlimited soda, but not bottled water.

Oh my goodness...I am talking about when it was $37 (up until today)...and PS, I do not consider 4 or 5 cocktails (for a woman) to be a "lightweight)

4 or 5 cocktails for a woman in one day while on vacation? I guess I'm an alcoholic according to you. :rolleyes:

Wasn't it closer to $55 before the first change? At least it's still cheaper than before. And I have 10 months to adjust my budget.

It's the same as before. $49.50 + 15% grat. = $56.93/day

Ok. You have to spend $57 a day for the package which includes 15 drinks a day. Cheapest beer on ship 15 of them +gratuity comes to $85.40 a day. Not including taxes in home port. And that is just cheap beer, not Funship specials, not frozen drinks which would run up to $154.40 a day. It still sounds like a good deal to me,

Here's the link to the website with the details...

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=cheers

It's a 33% increase going from 37.50 to 49.95 per day. Going from 690 to 919 over the course of an eight day cruise. If it does not revert back over the next 3 months when we cruise on the Freedom, this may be the straw that broke the camels back and Carnival will be kicked to the curb for my vacation dollar.

I am preferring Celebrity with their included 1-2-3 Go Promotion, which includes the classic drink package. We enjoyed it last year on the Summit, this year on the Silhouette and we'll have it again late next year on the Equinox. And, it includes espresso based coffee drinks, fresh squeezed juice and bottled water.

I hear ya! What would have been considered enough notice for you not to be upset about it?

A week ....two weeks....I think that would be more than fair for people to decide what to do or acclimate their funds. NO NOTICE....GET ON BOARD AND BINGO???? WRONG WRONG WRONG

Ok. You have to spend $57 a day for the package which includes 15 drinks a day. Cheapest beer on ship 15 of them +gratuity comes to $85.40 a day. Not including taxes in home port. And that is just cheap beer, not Funship specials, not frozen drinks which would run up to $154.40 a day. It still sounds like a good deal to me,

I agree with your math. But we can't maintain that every day. 2 or 3 out of 7 yes but 7 out of 7 no way. Plus port days would even be harder.

Enough time to be able to order bon voyage maybe? I imagine there are people who decided to go with Cheers because of the lower price instead of ordering Bon Voyage and carrying on their own mixers. Having the price increase at embarkation would be quite the shock for those who chose that route.

Here's the link to the website with the details...

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=cheers

It's a 33% increase going from 37.50 to 49.95 per day. Going from 690 to 919 over the course of an eight day cruise. If it does not revert back over the next 3 months when we cruise on the Freedom, this may be the straw that broke the camels back and Carnival will be kicked to the curb for my vacation dollar.

I am preferring Celebrity with their included 1-2-3 Go Promotion, which includes the classic drink package. We enjoyed it last year on the Summit, this year on the Silhouette and we'll have it again late next year on the Equinox. And, it includes espresso based coffee drinks, fresh squeezed juice and bottled water.

I haven't actually calculated anything, but it seems to me factoring in the higher cost of the Celebrity cruise to begin with and then whatever the price of the 1-2-3 Go promotion, Carnival will still be a better value for a cruise.