Port or starboard for New Zealand Cruise on Solstice?

Kingofcool1947

Planning on booking 14 night New Zealand cruise on Celebrity Solstice .

Which side has better scenic view from cabin? Port or starboard side?

Day 1 Auckland, New Zealand 8:00PM

Day 2 Bay Of Islands, New Zealand 7:00AM 6:00PM

Day 3 Tauranga, New Zealand 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 4 At Sea

Day 5 Wellington, New Zealand 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 6 Akaroa, New Zealand 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 7 Dunedin, New Zealand 7:00AM 5:00PM

Day 8 Dusky Sound, New Zealand 8:00AM 9:00AM

Day 8 Doubtful Sound, New Zealand 11:30AM 1:00PM

Day 8 Milford Sound, New Zealand 4:30PM 6:00PM

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Hobart, Tasmania 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 12 At Sea

Day 13 Melbourne, Australia 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 14 At Sea

Day 15 Sydney, Australia 6:30AM

Thanks.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It's really immaterial. During sea days you are too far from land to see anything. The day you are in the Sounds you will probably be up on deck to be able to see the panorama, but you would have views from your stateroom on either side of the ship. On port days, either docked or tender, there aren't any particularly impressive sites to be seen from the ship.

We did this cruise in 2013 and have booked again for 2015. We had a starboard cabin last time and I have booked the same again. It is true that when you are in the sounds, the ship turns around, so it doesn't matter which side you are on. Some of the better starboard views from the cabin were leaving Tauranga (Mt Manganui side -although it might be nearly dark this time and you may get better views coming in from port side), and coming into Sydney as she backs in, you end up on the Opera House side and if you're up early enough you can photograph the sunrise behind - absolutely gorgeous! I would choose starboard for this reason alone as it was a real highlight of the trip.

Starboard - assuming the Solstice still reverses into its dock at Sydney now that the wharf has been extended. Other than that there is no real advantage to either side.

Edited by gek

We've booked the same itinerary for January 19, 2016 and are in a veranda cabin on the starboard side. If this is the cruise you plan on taking, come on over to our roll call!

Edited by TMLAalum

Thanks to all.

Sounds like the starboard side would be preferable, but either side seems ok since we'll probably be on deck most of the time.

Other possible booking is 12 night NZ cruise December 4, 2015.

Day 1 Sydney, Australia 6:30PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Melbourne, Australia Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 4 At Sea

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Milford Sound, New Zealand Cruising 8:00AM 9:00AM

Day 6 Doubtful Sound, New Zealand Cruising 1:00PM 2:00PM

Day 6 Dusky Sound, New Zealand Cruising 4:00PM 5:30PM

Day 7 Dunedin, New Zealand Docked 9:00AM 7:00PM

Day 8 Akaroa, New Zealand Tendered 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 9 Wellington, New Zealand Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Tauranga, New Zealand Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 12 Bay Of Islands, New Zealand Tendered 7:00AM 6:00PM

Day 13 Auckland, New Zealand 6:00AM

Regards!

King

Other possible booking is 12 night NZ cruise December 4, 2015.

Day 1 Sydney, Australia 6:30PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Melbourne, Australia Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 4 At Sea

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Milford Sound, New Zealand Cruising 8:00AM 9:00AM

Day 6 Doubtful Sound, New Zealand Cruising 1:00PM 2:00PM

Day 6 Dusky Sound, New Zealand Cruising 4:00PM 5:30PM

Day 7 Dunedin, New Zealand Docked 9:00AM 7:00PM

Day 8 Akaroa, New Zealand Tendered 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 9 Wellington, New Zealand Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Tauranga, New Zealand Docked 8:00AM 6:00PM

Day 12 Bay Of Islands, New Zealand Tendered 7:00AM 6:00PM

Day 13 Auckland, New Zealand 6:00AM

Regards!

King

We sailed the above itinerary a couple of Christmases ago, port side was great with the extra big balcony too ;). Our favourite port was Akaroa :).

If it's in reverse, as per your first itinerary, I'd go starboard side.

We sailed the above itinerary a couple of Christmases ago, port side was great with the extra big balcony too ;). Our favourite port was Akaroa :).

If it's in reverse, as per your first itinerary, I'd go starboard side.

Thanks for your reply.

What category or cabin # has the extra big balcony? Deck?

Also, how's the weather in December. Do I need to bring rain gear? We plan to be on deck a lot.

Regards,

King

Thanks for your reply.

What category or cabin # has the extra big balcony? Deck?

Also, how's the weather in December. Do I need to bring rain gear? We plan to be on deck a lot.

Regards,

King

The 1A cabins on the slant of the hump have the larger balconies. The first and third cabins from the hump have balconies approximately 3 times as large as a standard balcony, and the second and fourth cabins away from the hump have balconies about twice as large ;). Some face forward, others aft. Check out the sticky 'S class cabins' at the top of this forum and it will give much information on specific cabins. I have posted a link below.

Link:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AtHczoNeooladEEyVmQwWmJhaGItbFZPUFNudTFZcEE&type=view&gid=0&f=true&colid0=1&filterstr0=1665&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

This may also help as it lists the cabin numbers by deck:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43281910&postcount=5

The weather was much better in Australia than NZ (windy and and cooler in Wellington), however, we had a fabulous time. I'll attempt to find my review and post the link ;). Terry from Ohio also has a wonderful review from his trip 'downunder' if you search for it on the main board :).

Found my review: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1763340

And Terry's review: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Terry's is much more entertaining than my review; hope it helps in your decision making.

Edited by villauk

Starboard.

Better for the view around NZ and on arriving at Sydney Solstice reverses into Circular Quay so you get the full view of the opera house and all the ferries. On our voyage last year the itinerary included an overnight in Sydney, so starboard ws a no-brainer.

• 4 weeks later...
We've booked the same itinerary for January 19, 2016 and are in a veranda cabin on the starboard side. If this is the cruise you plan on taking, come on over to our roll call!

Hi

We are now looking at doing this cruise also and should make a decision this week. Are you planning on staying longer in Australia or any tours planned?

Canada 14

It's really immaterial. During sea days you are too far from land to see anything. The day you are in the Sounds you will probably be up on deck to be able to see the panorama, but you would have views from your stateroom on either side of the ship. On port days, either docked or tender, there aren't any particularly impressive sites to be seen from the ship.

Agree above with cruisestitch. We picked our cabin location to be facing the coastal side during most of the NZ sailing, but it didn't work out to be that important. For sailing out of the scenic port areas, we were up on the top deck to see more . . . on BOTH SIDES. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Things worked fine for us and the six other couples in our travel group from Central Ohio. Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, etc.! Happy to answer any added questions. Lots to consider in doing this trip, including what you experience BOTH before and after this cruise.

QUEENSTOWN OPTION??: Have you considered the overnight Solstice trip to Queenstown and allowing a great sampling for the interior of NZ's South Island? We did this excursion and totally loved that experience. Lots of visuals and details on the live/blog.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 86,930 views for this posting.