Day trip to Anguilla from St Maarten

techsearch

Hello fellow cruisers - thank you in advance for your thoughts!!!

We will be in port in St. Maarten for the standard 8am - 5pm, the day before Thanksgiving on the Celebrity Reflection. I have read differing views on whether we can get to Anguilla for the day. I have been talking to "Private Yacht Charter SXM". They have great reviews on TripAdvisor but I can't find a single review about them here on CC. Can anyone tell me if they know this charter group?

And does anyone have experience going to Anguilla from St. Maarten on a PRIVATE charter vs. taking the public ferry. Of course I would presume the public transportation takes longer but I don't know that for sure either. Would just like to hear of others experiences taking a private boat charter to Anguilla from St. Maarten on a standard cruise ship time frame. Just not sure we can make this work.

The charter folks say we can go to Rendezvous Bay, no problem. Leaving St. Maarten at 9am and planning to be BACK in St. Maarten by 3pm. Just so we have plently of time to get back to the ship and onboard. We never cut it close. But for some reason, I am just nervous, feeling like going to Anguilla from St. Maarten is too far. Is it? Thoughts anyone?

Well, I wouldn't try this, but consider:

Is the charter from Philipsburg or Marigot?

If you're in port until 5, then all-aboard is at least 4:30. Planning to be back by 3, if Marigot, gives you time to get back to the Cruise Facility if there are no delays with the charter, and no delays because of traffic, and you might be fine, if the charter returns you directly to the port, much better.

But not much time to enjoy St. Maarten shopping and such.

Personally, the only time I would attempt to do this would be if I had an opportunity to meet Bankie Banx at Dune Preserve. Then I'd probably take the chance.

gary

Edited by gtaylor

I have sent an email tonight asking where they are, the boat. Right now I don't yet know of it is Marigot or Philipsburg. Very good point though, to find out - would certainly make a difference.

And I have been to St. Maarten about 20 plus times, I want to do so,etching different. This why I am considering Anguilla.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it so much.

And btw, who is Bankie Banx? :-)

Well, I wouldn't try this, but consider:

Is the charter from Philipsburg or Marigot?

If you're in port until 5, then all-aboard is at least 4:30. Planning to be back by 3, if Marigot, gives you time to get back to the Cruise Facility if there are no delays with the charter, and no delays because of traffic, and you might be fine, if the charter returns you directly to the port, much better.

But not much time to enjoy St. Maarten shopping and such.

Personally, the only time I would attempt to do this would be if I had an opportunity to meet Bankie Banx at Dune Preserve. Then I'd probably take the chance.

gary

Not to hijack your thread tech, but I wanted to piggyback and share my planning...

We're planning to take the public ferry from Marigot to Anguilla. My understanding is it runs every 30-45 minutes and takes about 20-25 minutes to get there. Based on that, we're planning on taking the ferry around 10 and leaving Anguilla around 2. Figure that gets us back to Marigot by 2:45 at the latest and then gives us an hour for taxi back to the ship. Gary, given your local knowledge you seem to think that's a bad idea? We're in town on a four ship day (port load ~11k) in early December.

Not to hijack your thread tech, but I wanted to piggyback and share my planning...

We're planning to take the public ferry from Marigot to Anguilla. My understanding is it runs every 30-45 minutes and takes about 20-25 minutes to get there. Based on that, we're planning on taking the ferry around 10 and leaving Anguilla around 2. Figure that gets us back to Marigot by 2:45 at the latest and then gives us an hour for taxi back to the ship. Gary, given your local knowledge you seem to think that's a bad idea? We're in town on a four ship day (port load ~11k) in early December.

So you plan on arriving in Anguilla at 10:30 and arriving back at the pier in Anguilla for the ferry back at 1:30-1:45 ish. Nope wouldn't waste a day in St. Maarten to do this. Also, what if that ferry brakes down or you get unlucky in Marigot and can't find a taxi back right away. There are way too many variables and I would be too worried to enjoy my day or should I say my few hours in Anguilla. If you just want to say that you have been to Anguilla and get your passport stumped then I would just hang out at the few shops by the port and take the ferry back to St. Martin in an hour or so after getting there.

Missed the direct question back to me that is buried in there.

But it appears that I don't need to waste any time typing, as karysa has addressed my concerns.

Save Anguilla for when you're staying on St. Maarten for a land visit so that you can enjoy the experience.

gary

Gary and Karysa, thank you both for you for your informed responses. It's easy to make something look good on paper - much harder knowing if it's actually going to work...

You are welcome. Vacation days are just too precious to waste. :). I hope that you find a great way to spend your day in St. Maarten.

Food for thought. We were on a boat in Barbados that blew an engine. It took 3 hours to make the 20 minute trip back to the ship. They held the ship for almost 2 hours because we were on a ship excursion. Not so lucky if you are on a private trip. The only excursions we ever book through the ship are those that involve boats. We have had issues with our own boat at times out in the Atlantic and its not fun.

I wonder whether you ever went up to the highest point of St. Martin in a truck and walked down with a guide? We loved that excursion. It starts in Marigot.

Can you tell me a little more about this excursion. I'm thinking that you must be talking about Peak Paradise and not the fort right in the heart of the town of Marigot. Is this correct? How long did it take you and what were the view like. To you have the name of the tour company. This sounds easier than the hike UP and back to Paradise Peak from Loterie Farm. That is a good hike but it's not easy that's for sure. Thanks for any info that you can provide.

My wife and I used the public ferry from Margiot to Anguilla and we had lots of time. We took a taxi to ferry pier (don't remember how much) bought our tickets for the ferry and went to Anguilla. Take your passport because Anguilla is British so you have to go through customs. We got a taxi and went to Rendezvous Bay. We were able to rent chairs at the Anguilla Great House Beach Resort and made that our base and walked the beach to see were Jimmy Buffett played his concert for Anguilla. The taxi driver brought us back to the Ferry and we were back in lots of time.

We did this a second time on another cruise and went to Uncle Ernie's Beach Bar at Shoal Bay. Rented chairs there on a beautiful beach and the day was great. Still had lots of time. Just leave the ship in the am as soon as you can.

We have a long day in sxm...7-6....I am thinking it would be ok as we will never plan to stay for a land trip...good tip on the passport....in all my research I never picked that up...THANK YOU!

If that's what you choose to do, you could probably do it with your time frame.

I'm not sure what your comment about the never .. land trip, Anguilla or St. Maarten. St. Maarten has a lot to offer before I'd recommend that someone spend their day getting to Anguilla.

Re: pasports, yes, you'll need your passport in hand to visit Anguilla, but also St. Barths, another popular day trip from St. Maarten.

gary

A few hours (or 1/2 day) in Anguilla beats a full day in SXM, hands down.

I can see that for one day, especially if you love beaches and peace and quiet. They have amazing beaches. :) I myself have never been one to let sand gravity get ahold of me though. :D

We know a guy and his partner that are in Anguilla for med school and they came to meet us one day while we were vacationing in St. Maarten. They loved St. Maarten and all of the variety of experiences it offered. They do not say the same about Anguilla. They tell us that in every e-mail they send.:)

Edited by Karysa

Hello fellow cruisers - thank you in advance for your thoughts!!!

We will be in port in St. Maarten for the standard 8am - 5pm, the day before Thanksgiving on the Celebrity Reflection. I have read differing views on whether we can get to Anguilla for the day. I have been talking to "Private Yacht Charter SXM". They have great reviews on TripAdvisor but I can't find a single review about them here on CC. Can anyone tell me if they know this charter group?

And does anyone have experience going to Anguilla from St. Maarten on a PRIVATE charter vs. taking the public ferry. Of course I would presume the public transportation takes longer but I don't know that for sure either. Would just like to hear of others experiences taking a private boat charter to Anguilla from St. Maarten on a standard cruise ship time frame. Just not sure we can make this work.

The charter folks say we can go to Rendezvous Bay, no problem. Leaving St. Maarten at 9am and planning to be BACK in St. Maarten by 3pm. Just so we have plently of time to get back to the ship and onboard. We never cut it close. But for some reason, I am just nervous, feeling like going to Anguilla from St. Maarten is too far. Is it? Thoughts anyone?

Not sure if you want to spend the day there or make it one of a few spots for the day. If so, I would "highly" recommend Blue Safaris and request Fab. He is the owner and does things top notch. We've done his island tour with three snorkel stops including Pinel Island along with a delicious lunch. We're going to do his Anguilla tour in June. Never had an issue making it back to the ship. When they say they guarantee or promise it's true. You won't be sorry if you take his tour. No more than 12/13 most on his boats. Tell him John, Karen, Romano, and Julie said hello :)

I can see that for one day, especially if you love beaches and peace and quiet. They have amazing beaches. :) I myself have never been one to let sand gravity get ahold of me though. :D

We know a guy and his partner that are in Anguilla for med school and they came to meet us one day while we were vacationing in St. Maarten. They loved St. Maarten and all of the variety of experiences it offered. They do not say the same about Anguilla. They tell us that in every e-mail they send.:)

Better beaches. Arguably better food. Friendlier people. Less crowds. No cruise ships. Far less crime. Yeah, not even a close call.

Better beaches. Arguably better food. Friendlier people. Less crowds. No cruise ships. Far less crime. Yeah, not even a close call.

I would certainly argue about the beaches and food. Crowds, depends on the beach of choice. Got me on the 'no cruise ships' but have you checked recent crime in Anguilla? Friendlier people? How would you quantify that?

If you are talking about a vacation destination, some may choose Anguilla, but for someone visiting for a day on a cruise, I think it unwise to try to experience Anguilla from St. Maarten during that quick visit.

St. Maarten has a lot more to offer to the cruiser.

gary

They even have a song about crime on Anguilla and fixing things. I was really sad when I heard it.

Edited by Karysa

• 2 weeks later...
I would certainly argue about the beaches and food.

For beaches, it isn't even a close call.

As for food, like I said, arguable. If you like French food, stick to SXM. Otherwise, AXA.

Crowds, depends on the beach of choice.

Most AXA beaches are near deserted. Not the case in SXM.

Got me on the 'no cruise ships' but have you checked recent crime in Anguilla?

Crime has increased recently on AXA, but it is no where near the level of SXM.

Friendlier people? How would you quantify that?

Personal experience.

If you are talking about a vacation destination, some may choose Anguilla, but for someone visiting for a day on a cruise, I think it unwise to try to experience Anguilla from St. Maarten during that quick visit.

St. Maarten has a lot more to offer to the cruiser.

gary

Indeed, if you enjoy visiting tourist traps with 1000s of other cruisers, SXM is the place.

If Dolphin Discovery where people swim with captured dolphins isn't a tourist trap then I don't know what is.

The good people of St. Maarten fought not to have this on their island so I guess if you want to swim with captured dolphins, the island of Anguilla is a great choice for a day trip while ported in St. Maarten for the day. There is a movie called The Cove that shows how these beautiful mammals are captured to eat and to take to places like the swim with a captured dolphin place in Anguilla. It is not for the faint of heart JFYI as many dolphins are slaughtered in the process.

Edited by Karysa