Where to stay in Istanbul

We are planning on staying one night post cruise in Istanbul in Sept. 2015 and would like recommendation for a safe hotel convenient to port, airport and sights. Also do we need a visa for a one night stay? Thanks for all help.

"Convenient for the airport" won't be ideal - both airports are a 30 to 40 minute drive from the cruise terminals & city sights. And there's no-where in town convenient to stash luggage for the day.

No specific suggestions, but you really want a hotel close to the sights rather than airport. Even for an early-morning flight. They're in the old part of Istanbul, called Sultanahmet. In that area, the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii), Aya Sophia (various spellings), Roman cistern etc. And very walkable to Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar etc. Plenty of varied restaurants in the area too.

Lots of hotels have a rooftop terrace - great for a late-night drink or breakfast.

Be warned that the taxis at the port are a cartel charging rip-off prices. To Sultanahmet is probably worth about 10 - 12 euros or equiv, but you'll probably not be able to barter below 20.

But with luggage I'm none too sure what else to suggest.

There's a direct tram route from a street behind the cruise berths. Used extensively by cruisers, but no fun hauling bags out to the tram stop (depending exactly where you berth) and trams can get very crowded - we've ridden the tram with luggage and it's errrrrrr ............ interesting :D

A pre-booked taxi from Sultanahmet to Ataturk airport should cost no more than 25 euros or Turkish equivalent, over the internet or through your hotel. Plenty of reliable operators. Your hotel will happily stash your luggage ahead of check-in and/or after check-out.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yes, you will need a visa. But it costs only $20 per person for an American citizen (more if you are Canadian) and easily is obtainable online in just a few minutes.

I suggest you stay in either the Sultanahmet or Sirkeci districts. We really like Sirkeci due to its excellent nearby restaurant choices and it's only a 10-minute walk to the major Sultanahmet sights or an easy fast tram ride. We have stayed at the Sirkeci Mansion and last May at the Neorion, top-rated on sister website tripadvisor.

The port is a fast 15-minute taxi ride from either, so take a look at tripadvisor reviews and enjoy.

Edited by CintiPam

Yes, you will need a visa. But it costs only $20 per person for an American citizen (more if you are Canadian) and easily is obtainable online in just a few minutes.

I suggest you stay in either the Sultanahmet or Sirkeci districts. We really like Sirkeci due to its excellent nearby restaurant choices and it's only a 10-minute walk to the major Sultanahmet sights or an easy fast tram ride. We have stayed at the Sirkeci Mansion and last May at the Neorion, top-rated on sister website tripadvisor.

The port is a fast 15-minute taxi ride from either, so take a look at tripadvisor reviews and enjoy.

Of the two hotels you mentioned, which did you prefer?

"Convenient for the airport" won't be ideal - both airports are a 30 to 40 minute drive from the cruise terminals & city sights. And there's no-where in town convenient to stash luggage for the day.

No specific suggestions, but you really want a hotel close to the sights rather than airport. Even for an early-morning flight. They're in the old part of Istanbul, called Sultanahmet. In that area, the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii), Aya Sophia (various spellings), Roman cistern etc. And very walkable to Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar etc. Plenty of varied restaurants in the area too.

Lots of hotels have a rooftop terrace - great for a late-night drink or breakfast.

Be warned that the taxis at the port are a cartel charging rip-off prices. To Sultanahmet is probably worth about 10 - 12 euros or equiv, but you'll probably not be able to barter below 20.

But with luggage I'm none too sure what else to suggest.

There's a direct tram route from a street behind the cruise berths. Used extensively by cruisers, but no fun hauling bags out to the tram stop (depending exactly where you berth) and trams can get very crowded - we've ridden the tram with luggage and it's errrrrrr ............ interesting :D

A pre-booked taxi from Sultanahmet to Ataturk airport should cost no more than 25 euros or Turkish equivalent, over the internet or through your hotel. Plenty of reliable operators. Your hotel will happily stash your luggage ahead of check-in and/or after check-out.

JB :)

Great advise from John. Staying in Sultanahment is a must. We stayed at the Hotel Lausos, which is a block and a half from the Hippodrome. The rooms are a bit small, but modern and clean. The hotel breakfast is free and includes a hot Western breakfast.

The Lausos is between the cruise terminal and the airport.

I booked transport from the hotel to the cruise port with Huseyin of Eyewitness Travel. If you wish to find others on your cruise to go in with you, you could save a lot on transport. Otherwise, a taxi is the likely way to go, if you don't wish to roll your luggage about half a mile.

Huseyin YAYLA

EYEWITNESS TRAVEL - MANAGER

Phone : +90 212 518 07 80 | Fax : +90 212 518 18 40

ADDRESS : Küçük Ayasofya caddesi No : 5 / A Sultanahmet – Istanbul / TURKEY

E-mail : info@eyewitnessturkey.com| web : www.eyewitnessturkey.com Facebook :/eyewitnessturkey

Staying in Sultanahment is a must.
It depends, I think: If their cruise includes some time in Istanbul, they may have already had a chance to visit the Old City. Of course, there is always more to see there, so an extra night in that area could be right for them. On the other hand, there are many good hotels in Taksim or Beyoğlu, which would give them an opportunity to visit that very different part of town. If they want a little bit of nightlife, it's much livelier than Sultanahmet in the evening. Or if they just feel like actually seeing some Turkish people (other than tour guides and shopkeepers) in Turkey… And the shuttle from Taksim is a very convenient and inexpensive way to get to the airport the next day.

While in Istanbul, I ventured into Taksim and was not overwhelmed by what was there the see.

I do agree with you that the area was not nearly as touristy and a more modern urban environment with the local shopping and/or just walking through the city center.

As far as historical and cultural sites, Taskim is no comparison to the old city. If cruisers only have a day or two in Istanbul, most likely they will want to see those must see places like Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Basilica Cistern, Topkapi Palace and Archaeological Museum.

This will be our departure port on a 12 night cruise from Barcelona to Istanbul. We will overnight in Istanbul on the ship and then we will be staying one additional night and flying out very early the next morning. I suspect that we will be able to see the major sights but not much else. I am still a little confused about whether to take a tour. It seems like it is something that we might be able to manage on our own.

You can certainly do all the main sights on your own, so I would not recommend paying for a tour, except maybe a special-interest themed tour (e.g. markets/food). What days of the week will you be in Istanbul? Because that may affect which sights you will be able to visit.

You can certainly do all the main sights on your own, so I would not recommend paying for a tour, except maybe a special-interest themed tour (e.g. markets/food). What days of the week will you be in Istanbul? Because that may affect which sights you will be able to visit.

We will dock on Friday Sept 18 at 2:00 p.m. Get off the ship on Sat. and depart early on Sun. morning.

In that case everything will be open, but everywhere will be very crowded! I would recommend getting a museum pass (currently 85 TL but maybe more by the time you go) which will get you into many of the main sites without having to wait in line.

Given your schedule, I agree with others that you should stay in the Old City. If you're planning to use the tram (for example, to get there from the ship, and to go to the airport), look for a hotel near one of the tram stops. If you're planning to use private transport, there are many boutique hotels in the small streets behind the Blue Mosque/Hippodrome, which is a much nicer area. There are also larger ones like Best Western.

That neighborhood (Sirkeci) is very busy and can be noisy, but it is close to everything, lots of public transport, and you will have a large choice of good and cheap restaurants right next door all along Hocapaşa Street. :)

We wanted to be near public transportation and be able to walk to things without taking a taxi all the time so that sounds like it might be a good fit for us. Also, can you obtain the museum pass over the internet or is that something you get once you are there. I am very used to the Caribbean but this all seems out of my comfort zone.

Last I heard, the Turkish museums website was not letting people buy the pass on-line, but maybe this will be fixed by the time your trip comes around. Otherwise, if you don't manage to get it ahead of time, you can buy it in Istanbul, so don't worry. Head to one of the less-visited museums first so you don't have to wait in line (for example the Archaeological Museums, where there may even be a small kiosk only selling the passes).

I am very used to the Caribbean but this all seems out of my comfort zone.
Istanbul can seem overwhelming the first time, but I think you will find that it is a very tourist-friendly place after all.

I haven't been to Istanbul yet, but will go this fall. Someone on Cruise Critic recommended Osmanhan Hotel in the Sultanahmet district, and it looks good. I also found a nearby hotel that looks modern (if you want that) and that also sounds good - Hotel Alilass. I think both are in the 110 to 120 euro range for early October. They may not be good for someone looking to stay closer to the airport, and also I'm not sure how available public transportation is right there, but those are two hotels that I'm exploring for my "stay a day in Istanbul" adventure. If nothing else, perhaps it will help others who read this thread!

I'm not sure if moderately-priced hotels in Istanbul normally have elevators, but that might be one thing you would want to check in picking a hotel. And I'm not sure if Istanbul counts the ground floor as the first floor (assume not) or the ground floor, so I always verify what "first floor" means and if there are steps and/or elevator involved!

Edited by roothy123

I haven't been to Istanbul yet, but will go this fall. Someone on Cruise Critic recommended Osmanhan Hotel in the Sultanahmet district, and it looks good. I also found a nearby hotel that looks modern (if you want that) and that also sounds good - Hotel Alilass. I think both are in the 110 to 120 euro range for early October. They may not be good for someone looking to stay closer to the airport, and also I'm not sure how available public transportation is right there, but those are two hotels that I'm exploring for my "stay a day in Istanbul" adventure. If nothing else, perhaps it will help others who read this thread!

I'm not sure if moderately-priced hotels in Istanbul normally have elevators, but that might be one thing you would want to check in picking a hotel. And I'm not sure if Istanbul counts the ground floor as the first floor (assume not) or the ground floor, so I always verify what "first floor" means and if there are steps and/or elevator involved!

Thank you - we haven decided yet and this one looks good and very well priced for the location. When are you going and please let us know how it was.

I stayed at Osmanhan hotel in mid-October when I was in Istanbul. I had read the good reviews here and on Tripadvisor. It's a lovely hotel in an old Ottoman house. Not deluxe, but everything very nice including a great breakfast on the top floor terrace. The service was really excellent -- anything we asked about, we were helped with. (Taxi to port, questions about sightseeing, restaurant recommendations, etc.)

The location is also perfect for sightseeing in the old city, just about two short blocks from the Blue Mosque and near lots of good restaurants (and the Arasta bazaar for shopping).

The only reason to stay at a hotel near the airport would be if you have a very early flight.

Regarding hotels, price is always a factor. Hotel Lausos was in a great location with free full breakfast and very friendly staff. They had a free tea with snacks for our cruise group that stayed there.

Price was excellent at 94.50 Euros per night.

Thank you - we haven decided yet and this one looks good and very well priced for the location. When are you going and please let us know how it was.

We're there on a week day, early October. I read all the reviews on Trip Advisor last night and learned: 1) The economy rooms are pretty but also pretty small (typical in Europe for an economy room, I'd say!) and 2) the walk to the tram is 5 - 10 minutes, depending upon who wrote the review. The Blue Mosque is 3 - 5 minutes. 3) One person mentioned he/she thought the soundproofing wasn't very good between the rooms. That doesn't bother us, but might bother some people.

There's no elevator (clearly stated when you book), but the hotel told me they have me down for a regular double room on the first floor, which means walking up one flight of stairs (doable - do it at home all the time, after all!) If you look at a map, they are certainly close to the Blue Mosque, and fairly close to the water. Both of those things appeal to me. Osmanhan looked quite good too, but I guess the modern furnishings of Alilass were what appealed to me. I also picked a modern hotel in Venice, as that heavy Venetian look many hotels have seems a bit depressing and old-fashioned!

Respond back here in mid October and I'll give you my impressions!

Oh, and another thing to consider in looking at moderately-priced hotels in Europe is whether they actually give you a double (or queen) bed or just push two twin beds together. That seems to be more true in Venice than Istanbul, and in the end it really may not matter much to many people, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it matters to YOU!

Edited by roothy123

Of the two hotels you mentioned, which did you prefer?

I just returned from Istanbul and the Sirkecki Mansion. It is in a quieter area of Sirkecki. My room was just across from the Gardens in Topkapi Palace and I could hear the birds chirping in the morning, otherwise, very quiet.

The hotel has free walking tours of places you would not see otherwise, including a food tour if you are there on the right day. These tours would probably cost $40-50 if you paid for them. I found this hotel absolutely amazing and I am extremely picky about where I stay.

Just be aware that 2-3 days is not nearly enough for Istanbul. I toured from morning until night for 6 straight days and was not able to see nearly what I wanted. Plus I didn't even spend much time shopping, there was so much to do and see there.:D

You will love it.