Anyone hear anything from Carnival regarding chikungunya virus?

DirtDiver

100% DEET products like Ben's can be put on clothing or shoes and is just as effective. And you only need a couple of drops.

Now I am glad I bought it and glad I mentioned it to you.

When you need to know, ask a Merchant Marine.

Thanks.

I think the Ebola scare has taken over the country.:rolleyes:

This has fallen to the back burner.

When we cruised in July, we didn't get off the ship in the DR because of this.

Now, I haven't heard ANYTHING about it.......

Sure it's still there. Just get some good repellent with DEET!!!!:D

I did not want to worry (or make light of) the OP, but you are right. If you look at the numbers for the DR, Jamaica won't seem so bad at all.

The Conquest Fun Times of 10/12 through 10/26 had on the cover first page down at the bottom, in small print, an advisory on using DEET protection after applying sun screen.

The OP asked if Carnival was doing anything, here's the answer.

St Maarten, Old San Juan and parts of the Dominican Republic have noted infestations of "chunky" mozzies.

Here in Key West, both chickengunya and dengue are spread by the same mosquito (aedes aegypti) and we have had both here. We had a big outbreak of dengue 3 years ago (first in the US) and are now being warned about chickengunya. These mosquitos are ankle biters and are day-long biters. Plenty of spray with deet works well. BYW, these mosquitos never leave an area bigger than a block and are susceptible to being blown away by breezes. Oceanside usually has enough breeze to keep them away. Have lived here 14 years and never worried about mosquito-bourne diseases since we use regular common sense precautions.

I've been focused on my Splendor cruise leaving San Juan on Saturday.

Guess I'd better remember to pack this stuff when I sail on 11/29. Going to the DR on that one for the first time and hoping to take an excursion into the rain forest there, too.

Heading to San Juan Friday to sail on Saturday. Have you heard about Dengue Fever!!! Gasp! :p

Stopping in St Croix, Grenada, Martinique, Dominica and Grand Turk, too. We'll be doing some tours in rain forests.

Mosquitoes love me, so I just picked up a "fresh" bottle of repellent that is 40% DEET. Not sure I like the idea of all that insecticide on my skin, but don't like the idea of mosquito-borne virus, either.

As with the majority of other things, there's no need to worry, let alone panic. Just be prepared and use the spray as directed. Make sure you read about how to use it (before or after sunscreen is applied).

Don't apply DEET to your skin; wear long shirts and pants and spray them copiously, also spray a hat and wear it. Wear socks and shoes. I don't get how people on here can laugh at this stuff; guess they've never seen the inside of an ICU.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After our last cruise I got very very ill and ended up in the hospital about a week or so after getting back (ended up getting surgery later on) and the first thing my doctor wanted to do a blood test for was to rule out Chikungunya Virus because of my symptoms. THANKFULLY I was okay and it ended up being something else.

If you are that worried then maybe it's best you do not get off the ship.

If you get off just make sure you wear plenty of bug spray and whatever else you feel you need to do. With such a few short hours there I'm sure you'd be fine, and you'll be there in daylight hours and not muggy evening hours when mosquitos are most likely to come out.

Out of curiosity, what do some of you recommend doing if you are allergic to ALL insect repellent...I've tried dozens and dozens of different things including home remedies.

I develop a rash and have trouble breathing...but thankfully the last 2 years mosquitos have been less than interested in me. Must be my tainted blood, heh.

Out of curiosity, what do some of you recommend doing if you are allergic to ALL insect repellent...I've tried dozens and dozens of different things including home remedies.

I develop a rash and have trouble breathing...but thankfully the last 2 years mosquitos have been less than interested in me. Must be my tainted blood, heh.

Wow, that is a tough one. The only alternatives I have ever seen is long sleeves, pants, etc. You know cover up. Not exactly a great solution on a Caribbean island.

Have you tried the PMD ones, they have oil of lemon eucalyptus in them? Also have seen ones with citronella and peppermint oil in them.

I found a deet 100, and someone earlier was saying you only put a few drops on your clothes. It's stronger (not good for you I would think), but it would go on your clothes. I don't know if not putting it directly on your skin would help.

According to Patrice 1 (post 30) the risk of coming into contact with these particular skeeters is low due to their range- they like to live in "blocks" or certain areas. On the other hand, if you are there, they are out ALL DAY, so the "we are going to be fine because excursions don't run into dusk" defense does not hold. The ankle biting concerns me because so many like to wear flip flops, water shoes and runners with no socks.

Avoidance is the best defense if you are allergic (to anything), and is certainly true here. We spent several days in S FL this past summer when this virus was said to be prevalent and one of our children had many bites all over. He never got sick, but as a mom I was very concerned for a few days watching him for possible symptoms. When we were in Costa Rica and Panama there was no way I was staying on the ship and I did take long pants, etc.

Here in Key West, both chickengunya and dengue are spread by the same mosquito (aedes aegypti) and we have had both here. We had a big outbreak of dengue 3 years ago (first in the US) and are now being warned about chickengunya. These mosquitos are ankle biters and are day-long biters. Plenty of spray with deet works well. BYW, these mosquitos never leave an area bigger than a block and are susceptible to being blown away by breezes. Oceanside usually has enough breeze to keep them away. Have lived here 14 years and never worried about mosquito-bourne diseases since we use regular common sense precautions.

Thanks for sharing this!