Getting Enchanted with Royal Caribbean. Enchantment of the Seas Review 10/27-10/31

The next morning, I got up and moved around the cabin in stealth mode, shoving my pajamas in my suitcase, getting dressed and checking for anything left behind. Good thing I did, I found my water shoes in the bathroom.

He woke up, and I decided to go up to the upper decks to see if I had any phone service. Success! I could facebook! I could instagram! I had e-mail! I felt like a kid on Christmas! I sat up for almost 45 minutes going through all the things I'd missed while I was away. I considered heading to get breakfast but decided against it.

Back down to the cabin to gather my stuff and wait to get off the ship. I grabbed shouldered my backpack, trailed the smaller suitcase behind me while pushing the bigger one along by my side, and I was mobile.

The designated waiting area was the Orpheum theater. There I dug out my passport and my customs form and waited. People started lining up along the deck to get off the ship, so I joined them. We stood there for a decent while, I texted my mom to let her know we were waiting to debark, as soon as I felt comfortable enough to take off my backpack though, the line started moving.

It was a depressing sort of "bing" when they scanned my card and made it official. I was no longer a passenger on The Enchantment of the Seas.

Because I was carrying so many bags, I kept being herded off to the elevators, skipping the escalator everyone else went on. It took me minutes to get outside of the port. I hadn't heard anything from my mom, so I called her.

No answer. Wait a minute. Call again. No answer. Now I start to panic What if she's still asleep? What if I have no way home!? What if she forgot!?!?

I moved over to the taxi/bus pick up area and tried to call again, nothing! I was starting to get worried. I considered calling my aunt, who lives with us, to see if my mom was up but decided to hold off for a minute.

In the distance I saw it. A white toyota tooling along towards me. My mom! She hadn't forgotten me!! She pulled in to one of the bus parking spots, hopped out and moved to the passenger side. I climbed into the drivers side, and before I would even move made her open the coasters that I brought her.

"Why didn't you answer!? I was getting worried that you forgot to set your alarm or something... "(Or made good on her promise to leave me there.)

"I was DRIVING Tricia. Some people don't mess with their phones while they're driving. I would have been here sooner but you made me miss an exit."

"How?"

"It(her phone gps) was telling me to get ready to turn and your face pops up and it starts ringing. and I tried to make it stop but I couldn't, so I didn't know which exit to take and I missed it. Thanks a lot."

We started the just shy of an hour drive home. About halfway home, I get a text from ex BF that read "I should have just carried my luggage off. Still here."

When we got home, I texted him that I was home already. "Still waiting to find my luggage."

After I took a shower in my own, normal sized shower I get another. "Waiting for the shuttle to pick me up......."

And as I finished unpacking my gifts for everyone. "Finally made it to the car. On my way home."

Haha sucka. Maybe next time you'll follow my suit!

You'd think this would end my cruising with the ex, right? Sadly, no. Last year as soon as I got home from the liberty, I hopped on the net and booked another cruise for this year. Originally I was intending to go solo but in January, ex BF and I started dating and by February he'd asked for me to add him on to my cruise. And I did.

So December 6th, 2014 we are cruising together again. This time it's 7 days long and I will be armed with ear plugs!

So, which is better? Carnival or Royal?

I liked things from each line. On Royal I like the touch screens they have by the elevators. It'll tell you what's going on and how to get there. I liked the drink package they offer.

On Carnival, I like the food better, I like their Miami Vices better. I like the price better, and the bigger cabins. I also like the pens/paper left in the cabin. I like the tear out part of the funtimes, this wasn't in the compass.

But essentially, they both offer a very similar product. People like to say Royal Caribbean is above such things as a hairy chest contest, but they had their world's sexiest man contest and I saw a bellyflop contest in the Compass. What is so refined and high class about a ship sponsored game of chubby bunny? The decoration was a little more "grown up" than Carnival, but that's a matter of taste.

I am not loyalty driven, I am price driven. For the right price, I will sail RCI again. For the right price I would even sail Norwegian! I didn't notice any glaring differences that enhanced or compromised the quality of my cruise. I think this "Royal Vs Carnival" mentality that's rampant on this board is very silly. It's like comparing Minute Maid to Tropicana. They're both juices, they both taste like orange juice, they're essentially the same product under different names, they are more alike than they are different. The clientele is very similar. I don't really pay attention to what people are wearing, but nothing sticks out in my mind as overly silly or sorely inappropriate.

I do have to say, both private islands are nice but given a choice, I would take Half Moon Cay!

Edited by SunshineCruiser24

Well, you seem like a very positive person so I have no doubt that you will have a fabulous time, as long as the earplugs allow you to get some sleep!!! Hope to read a review when you get back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. We had that cruise planned and paid for since way before we broke up. I can't find anyone to buy his ticket and I am not going to lose out all the money that I've paid. I've tried to change up our excursions but he seems to want to follow me.

You are such an inspiration!! Way to go! Enjoy your cruise- you deserve it!! I loved your review :)

So, which is better? Carnival or Royal?

I liked things from each line. On Royal I like the touch screens they have by the elevators. It'll tell you what's going on and how to get there. I liked the drink package they offer.

On Carnival, I like the food better, I like their Miami Vices better. I like the price better, and the bigger cabins. I also like the pens/paper left in the cabin. I like the tear out part of the funtimes, this wasn't in the compass.

But essentially, they both offer a very similar product. People like to say Royal Caribbean is above such things as a hairy chest contest, but they had their world's sexiest man contest and I saw a bellyflop contest in the Compass. What is so refined and high class about a ship sponsored game of chubby bunny? The decoration was a little more "grown up" than Carnival, but that's a matter of taste.

I am not loyalty driven, I am price driven. For the right price, I will sail RCI again. For the right price I would even sail Norwegian! I didn't notice any glaring differences that enhanced or compromised the quality of my cruise. I think this "Royal Vs Carnival" mentality that's rampant on this board is very silly. It's like comparing Minute Maid to Tropicana. They're both juices, they both taste like orange juice, they're essentially the same product under different names, they are more alike than they are different. The clientele is very similar. I don't really pay attention to what people are wearing, but nothing sticks out in my mind as overly silly or sorely inappropriate.

I do have to say, both private islands are nice but given a choice, I would take Half Moon Cay!

On these cheap short Bahamas cruises, the clientele will be the same! not so on the longer ones..

What a wonderful review. I enjoyed it start to finish! I can not wait to hear about the next trip with the ex. Maybe you guys can become friends before hand so you aren't actually both traveling all alone? Sometimes what makes a horrible quality in a dating relationship isn't so bad in a friend. My ex husband (and former cruising partner) is my best friend and I would cruise with him again any time.

I have done both cruise lines. My problem is I move for days after. I don't get sea sick but can't stop moving when I get off. Makes it very difficult for me. I can only do short cruises and then I get very bored if there is a sea day. Flying does not bother me. We just live 30 min from the port and is a quick get away. I really hope you can get some sleep on this next cruise. Ear plugs and some more music loaded.

Sunshine .. great review.

We too were on this cruise with two other couples. Was our first cruise shorter than 7 days and boy it went way too fast.

We are cruising Carnival Liberty in January for 15 days. Will be first time on Carnival and am really excited. Thanks for your comparison of Carnival and Royal. My wife will also be comparing the Miami Vices :-)

Have not been on a cruise or cruise line that we did not like and expect the same will be true of Carnival .. or I would never have booked for 15 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sunshine .. great review.

We too were on this cruise with two other couples. Was our first cruise shorter than 7 days and boy it went way too fast.

We are cruising Carnival Liberty in January for 15 days. Will be first time on Carnival and am really excited. Thanks for your comparison of Carnival and Royal. My wife will also be comparing the Miami Vices :-)

Have not been on a cruise or cruise line that we did not like and expect the same will be true of Carnival .. or I would never have booked for 15 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You will love the liberty! When I was on it last year, it was rated #1 ship in the fleet! That is beating out the breeze, the dream and the sunshine, their newer ships.

If you like fish, try the fish and chips. If you go to the back of the lido, by the dessert stand, there are stairs leading up to another level. It's the fish and chips, people usually don't notice it until later in their cruise. I liked to get my food and take it up there for a nice quiet dining experience. I don't like fish, so I didn't actually eat anything from the menu.

Make sure to try Guy's burgers and the breakfast burritos at the blue iguana burrito bar. It doesn't compare to Chiptole, but it's the same concept and tasty all the same!

What a wonderful review. I enjoyed it start to finish! I can not wait to hear about the next trip with the ex. Maybe you guys can become friends before hand so you aren't actually both traveling all alone? Sometimes what makes a horrible quality in a dating relationship isn't so bad in a friend. My ex husband (and former cruising partner) is my best friend and I would cruise with him again any time.

We've actually been "hanging out" a few times. Funny story, we were going to meet for dinner together at a chain salad bar place.. There was a little confusion at deciding which one. He went to the one by my house, I went to the one by his house. I'm texting him like "Where are you!? I'm freezing!" "I'm inside. Where are you?" "I was waiting in the parking lot..." Go inside, pay for my meal, looking around the seating area "..uh.. where are you exactly?" "............you're at the one by your house, right?" "Uhhh...No?"

We are going to try and be friends. It's working so so, but we're trying. I did take him off my cruise for next year, though. That's a little much.

I have done both cruise lines. My problem is I move for days after. I don't get sea sick but can't stop moving when I get off. Makes it very difficult for me. I can only do short cruises and then I get very bored if there is a sea day. Flying does not bother me. We just live 30 min from the port and is a quick get away. I really hope you can get some sleep on this next cruise. Ear plugs and some more music loaded.

Funny thing! I just downloaded a white noise app with a bunch of loaded soothing sounds like a river, waves, rain.. Hoping it helps me sleep, may bring ear plugs for back up though, I'm just afraid of missing my alarm, we have some early excursions!

I felt so bad about getting angry at him for snoring after the fact. He doesn't mean to snore, I'm sure if he could he wouldn't snore at all! But at the time I wanted to smash his face until he stopped snoring...

Short cruises really aren't long enough! By the time you get into the "cruising" groove, it's time to get off!

Loved reading your review - leaving for same short cruise in a couple of weeks!

You'll have to post a link to your review of next cruise on this thread so we can all "cruise with you" agaim!

Enjoy the Liberty!! 😃🚢

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

I have enjoyed all of your reviews. Thanks for the comparison between Carnival and Royal. I've not tried Royal yet, but having tried most of the other mass market lines, I have to agree that they are definitely more alike than different. The only difference I've noticed between short and long cruises is that the longer cruises seem to have more elderly people (since they obviously have more time off).

Enoy the Liberty! It is one of my favorite ships! Love the changing lights! Hope you do another review!!