Email from RCI - Liberty of the Seas

ckrobyn

I received an email a few days ago suggesting there would be delays in boarding on November 8th because this is the first sailing following a season in Europe, and the ship, crew and guests would all have to go through immigration.

Does anyone have experience with this? Someone on my roll call said the ship wouldn't leave port until 8:15pm? :eek:

I'd appreciate any insight?!

We were coming off a TA on the Liberty back in 2011 and it was horrible. We didn't get curbside until 11 AM, many never got off until after noon and missed flights. We were so backed up in the ship, people were going up/down in the elevators because they couldn't get out. Some 200 + missed Post Cruise Tours and extra buses had to be called in to get us all to the airport.

Thanks for the responses...

I'm used to getting to the port early, but probably isn't the best idea this time.

The email says D+ can expect to board at 12:30PM, but somehow that seems unlikely considering what I've just read :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses...

I'm used to getting to the port early, but probably isn't the best idea this time.

The email says D+ can expect to board at 12:30PM, but somehow that seems unlikely considering what I've just read :rolleyes:

Might not be far off, depending on how the Coast Guard inspection goes and if there's a Public Health inspection. One time we boarded after a Public Health inspection and Windjammer opening was delayed for an hour or so.

Edited by clarea

Last November we were on Legend for the first cruise back in the US. We were not delayed boarding but cabins were late in opening and we were late departing. Nothing serious.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I looked back at my review for this cruise and it looks like we checked in about 12:30 and were on board about 20 minutes later.

When my daughter worked for RCI, she and the rest of the cruise staff and other workers on the ship had to go through immigration. Embarkation was delayed 3 - 4 hours. We met her at the dock and had special permission to board the ship with her and tour the ship until 1/2 hour before sail away.

Hmmmm, what to do....:rolleyes:

My real worry is that the port will be bedlam with the Oasis there, now coupled with delayed boarding for the Liberty!

If you were me.....what time would you arrive??:confused:

The Oasis terminal is far away from Liberty's terminal. I doubt there would be any problem with traffic interference between guests of those two ships. If you arrive at 11am, you will likely have to sit in folding type chairs for a while, so it's up to you where you would rather wait.

Hmmmm, what to do....:rolleyes:

My real worry is that the port will be bedlam with the Oasis there, now coupled with delayed boarding for the Liberty!

If you were me.....what time would you arrive??:confused:

HI.. i got the same email. I am usually at the pier no later than 11am. I think I will get there by 11:30-12pm and hope for the best!!

I watch the ships leave Fort Lauderdale on the PTZ port web cam. It is true that ships returning from TAs tend to leave port later than usual but I would be surprised if departure is as late as eight.

We get to port usually about eleven, but to be safe in this case I think I would arrive about 12:30 or 1:00. There's no use sitting around in one of the packed lounges when there is a boarding delay.

Liberty and Oasis are at different terminals, but they won't be the only ships in port that day. The traffic backup on busy port days--five-plus ships--happens at the security gate where guards check your drivers' license and cruise ticket. I don't know why but sometimes a car in front of you will just take forever to go through the security check. I am often left wondering what the heck they are doing.

Liberty is one of our favorite ships, in fact,we sail on Liberty in four weeks. I hope you have a great cruise and wonderful weather.