Retreat cabanas

cruiseatick

We reserved a retreat cabana on the December 14 sailing on new Amsterdam the cabana won't be signed until we board the ship which cabanas are better? The oceanview or the Poolview,what perks are available with cabana

We have sailed on the Eurodam, and booked a Retreat Cabana. We requested beforehand, and received, a cabana facing aft, overlooking the pool two decks below. We feel these are better because there is more air flow than the cabanas on the port and starboard. These do have nice views, but less air flow, as clear plexiglass is on the side where the ship's railing is.

Either way, the Retreat/Cabana Club is terrific.

A quick search finds dozens of threads, including:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093452&highlight=cabana

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2056644&highlight=cabana

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2035547&highlight=cabana

Which is "best" is totally a subjective opinion. Some people like the ocean facing, but they can get warm, as generally they don't have the airflow. Some (like us) like the rear facing, as they do get the airflow, but sometimes too much airflow.

From what I am reading the aft or pool cabanas are the most popular and have te most ventilation !

I think it's a matter of personal preference. The side cabanas have less air flow, but they have better views and are probably quieter since they're further from the Lido pool. The family cabanas are larger, and on the corner. That would give you the ocean view and more air flow.

I think it's a matter of personal preference. The side cabanas have less air flow, but they have better views and are probably quieter since they're further from the Lido pool. The family cabanas are larger, and on the corner. That would give you the ocean view and more air flow.

What he said:).

Hey, you can answer this... The OP asked about the perks included with the cabana. No one answered, and we won't know for a few weeks.

See post 8 on this thread. It shows the stuff you get. That said, I've never seen the frozen grapes or ice cream and I just about starved to death because of it :D;).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2104192&highlight=retreat+cabana

Edited by cruz chic

Hey, you can answer this... The OP asked about the perks included with the cabana. No one answered, and we won't know for a few weeks.

I can't remember everything, but you get:

Loungers, chairs and a table within the cabana, plus loungers in the communal area.

Bottled water

Fruit

Lunch waiter service, but only from the burger bar, not any room service menu

Champagne late afternoon, not long before they chuck you out.

Edited by richarduk

As the cabanas are officially available from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM there is no dinner menu available. Although you do not have to leave at 5:00 PM the attendants do leave as they have other duties. The Retreat area is sometimes used for other functions in the evening.

I can't remember everything, but you get:

Loungers, chairs and a table within the cabana, plus loungers in the communal area.

Bottled water

Fruit

Lunch waiter service, but only from the burger bar, not any room service menu

Champagne late afternoon, not long before they chuck you out.

If you see my post earlier in the thread it has a link to everything that is included.

The champagne and chocolate covered strawberries arrive around 2-3pm. You can stay in your cabana until 5. As the cruise goes by, the champagne can arrive sooner. Just ask.

I was told at 3:30 on the day of the cabana dinner that I needed to leave so they could get ready. That is annoying to say the least.

I was told at 3:30 on the day of the cabana dinner that I needed to leave so they could get ready. That is annoying to say the least.

We have had a Retreat Cabana on each of the three ships that currently have them. Each had a Cabana Dinner, although I think one got canceled due to lack of interest. But that deck area was also used for cocktail parties several times on each cruise after 5pm. We never felt rushed to leave.

We have had a Retreat Cabana on each of the three ships that currently have them. Each had a Cabana Dinner, although I think one got canceled due to lack of interest. But that deck area was also used for cocktail parties several times on each cruise after 5pm. We never felt rushed to leave.

I hope that will be the case on this cruise. I was specifically told that they needed to set up so they would "like" people to leave by 3:30. They didn't carry me out of there but I'm respectful of what others ask so I did leave. It would be nice to know this advance however.

We love the Retreat Cabanas and have had them three times. We have been in both rear facing and side facing cabanas. The rear facing cabanas do have better air flow, but side facing offer better views and better protection from rain. We've stayed in the side facing cabana during some pretty heavy down pours.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

510Picker from your Eurodam Nov 2013 photos, it looks like they serve the strawberries and champagne even on the first day during sailaway time. Is that correct?

What a great way to christen a cruise!

Edited by TrolleyGirl