Power Adapter

Just been down to Aldi and told they were recalled and not going to be available. Maybe just as well as you probably get what you pay for.

Think I will go to Bunnings and get one with a surge protector on it for $9 extra. No adaptors, but I have them already:)

They shouldn't have even advertised it if it wasn't compliant. It is still on the website.

A lot of these 'multi-multi' units incl USB are around, but not compliant with local safety standards. Sounds like the case here.

Not sure if you heard the story of the NSW woman who died recently from a cheap USB adapter for her Ipod...

A lot of these 'multi-multi' units incl USB are around, but not compliant with local safety standards. Sounds like the case here.

Not sure if you heard the story of the NSW woman who died recently from a cheap USB adapter for her Ipod...

Yeah, but they won't actually explain what has happened, let alone why they advertised it in the first place.

If you're talking about the woman on the Central Coast I'm pretty sure it was actually a phone charger rather than a USB adapter, but t was tragic in any event. Every Christmas you hear about Fair Trading pulling toys off the shelf for being non compliant with Aus standards [and I support that] yet they let allow shops to sell all sort of electric junk, it really beats me.

Yeah, but they won't actually explain what has happened, let alone why they advertised it in the first place.

If you're talking about the woman on the Central Coast I'm pretty sure it was actually a phone charger rather than a USB adapter, but t was tragic in any event. Every Christmas you hear about Fair Trading pulling toys off the shelf for being non compliant with Aus standards [and I support that] yet they let allow shops to sell all sort of electric junk, it really beats me.

They regularly pull them off the market as well.

They regularly pull them off the market as well.

No doubt about that, just they seem to miss so much, you go into these cheap pete places and see so many electrical bits and pieces that I wouldn't touch with the proverbial 10' pole.

But I guess it;s the old story not enough resources to police it all.

No doubt about that, just they seem to miss so much, you go into these cheap pete places and see so many electrical bits and pieces that I wouldn't touch with the proverbial 10' pole.

But I guess it;s the old story not enough resources to police it all.

Yes, and then only react when an issue arises.:(

They are OK - you just need to consider that if you have 4 gadgets plugged in it only gives a very slow charge for each (about .5 Amp).

Bunnings also has this one - http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-adaptor-with-usb-charger-4-2a-white-d2usb_p4331098 which my wife uses when travelling. It charges very quickly on both ports and you can plug in the charger that came with your gadget to charge three things at once. It is also good as it fits into those awkwardly placed hotel room sockets just above a desk or in a recess that don't have any room under them! I can't find it online but we purchased one of these from Bunnings that also included three overseas adaptors (US/UK/EU) for only $30!

Edited by aronde

We've been using this powerboard for travel over the last year and have found it to be excellent.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/mort-bay-powerboard-surgeprot-2way-2usb-prt-wndup-cord_p4331031

However I have a concern as to whether it will be permitted for our upcoming cruise as it is surge protected, however I can find nothing in the Princess T&Cs that mentions any ban on any type of powerboard.

Bunnings also has this one - http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-adaptor-with-usb-charger-4-2a-white-d2usb_p4331098 which my wife uses when travelling. It charges very quickly on both ports and you can plug in the charger that came with your gadget to charge three things at once. It is also good as it fits into those awkwardly placed hotel room sockets just above a desk or in a recess that don't have any room under them! I can't find it online but we purchased one of these from Bunnings that also included three overseas adaptors (US/UK/EU) for only $30!

That looks good. Though I notice it has a surge protector. Can it be used on cruise ships?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise lines prefer ones with out.

Which lines and why would it be a 'preference' as opposed to a 'rule' if there was some sort of problem with them? I have used devices like this on Royal Caribbean with no problem before (i.e. they never asked about them despite them being in full view in the cabin nor when luggage was presumably x-rayed). The only similar items listed on the RCI website for instance as prohibited are powerboards and extension cords - no mention of 'surge protectors'.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

Which lines and why would it be a 'preference' as opposed to a 'rule' if there was some sort of problem with them? I have used devices like this on Royal Caribbean with no problem before (i.e. they never asked about them despite them being in full view in the cabin nor when luggage was presumably x-rayed). The only similar items listed on the RCI website for instance as prohibited are powerboards and extension cords - no mention of 'surge protectors'.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

I posted preferred as I am not sure it is a rule and may depend on the ship or the particular staff member doing the screening. I really only have hearsay as I have never brought a power board on with or without a surge protector. I do not know why they do not like them either. Two separate stories, one from my brother who had his held for the duration and another from a cruise friend who had the same both on X. Other threads have mentioned this also, but then screening does not always stop things from getting on board, so there are also posts like yours.:D

...That looks good. Though I notice it has a surge protector. Can it be used on cruise ships?

I'd just check the prohibited items list for your cruise and if it is not there then go for it. If it helps the one I linked to at Bunnings does not say it is surge protected in the specs on the device itself.

I'd just check the prohibited items list for your cruise and if it is not there then go for it. If it helps the one I linked to at Bunnings does not say it is surge protected in the specs on the device itself.

My next cruise in 2 weeks is with Carnival. According to their FAQ they allow power adapters without surge protectors.

Sent from my iPad using Forums