Norwegian Pearl Disembarking in Los Angeles

Aussie Jeep

Hello fellow CC's I know that things may cahneg between now and the 2nd of May, but I need to book a flight from LAX to Dallas the day I disembark at Los Angeles. If I do the self carry off of luggage, what from your experience would be the time that I should be able to be off the ship. Assuming that it arrives on time at 8 am. I plan to take a taxi from the port to LAX which should take about 45 minutes at most. Any advice would be appreciated. There is a flight that leaves at 11.55am from LAX Thanks

If all goes well, that should work. Unfortunately, L.A. can have horrible freeway auto traffic back up problems, and LAX has frequently the longest check in and security lines I've ever experienced. The departure time is reasonable though.

A couple years ago when I arrived at San Pedro on the Pearl, I got in the self-debark line at about 7:15 AM. This allowed me to be one of the first 100 or so people off the ship at 8:00 AM (debarkation got underway right on time).

The customs/immigration people were merely glancing at passports that morning, so I walked straight through to the bus area and boarded the first NCL bus to leave for the airport. Arrived at LAX by 9:30 AM. Unbelievable!!

But I wouldn't count on things going quite that smoothly ever again. ;-)

Note that I got in line early before the designated debarkation time. When debarkation finally started, the line disappeared way back through the atrium, and I'd guess there were hundreds of people in it.

We were on the Jewel on the Panama Canal cruise in 2012. It docked on a Monday and I don't think the custom office was notified. There were lots of foreign travelers on the ship, but it took longer for the US citizens. We stood in line for 3 hours and finally got through at 11:45. I hope they have learned a lesson. I am sure it is because it wasn't a usual day at the port

It really matters what day of the week you arrive. Weekday rush hour traffic can be a parking lot. It took me 1:45 from LAX to San Pedro last month on a Friday afternoon. It would have been longer but the driver had traffic updates on his gps we took surface streets half the way

Thank you for your replies. Now I have more questions. I did not know that NCL had a bus from the port to the airport, when and how do I book this? Do you believe that this would be a better option than a taxi? The Pearl arrives on a Saturday. Thanks

I book the transfer from the ship to the airport regardless of the port. I buy it from my travel agent as part of my cruise package. You can also purchase it on board at the Guest Services Desk. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for the bus to fill before it leaves for the airport.

I did not know that NCL had a bus from the port to the airport, when and how do I book this? Do you believe that this would be a better option than a taxi?

Sometimes I've been able to book the transfer in advance as part of my cruise booking. Other times (such as the case I mentioned earlier) I've had to book it at the excursion desk once on board.

It probably isn't the quickest way, nor the cheapest if there is more than one of you (I usually cruise alone), but it's the "easiest." :-)

i live in LA and will be on the same trip - May 2nd is Sat - so freeway traffic won't be too bad- however if there is any activity at LAX at all- i have seen where ti takes 1 hr just to get inside the drop off street -

with the required 2 hr check it you are cutting it close - since its LAX there going to a lot of flights - personally look for one a little later-

i live in LA and will be on the same trip - May 2nd is Sat - so freeway traffic won't be too bad- however if there is any activity at LAX at all- i have seen where ti takes 1 hr just to get inside the drop off street -

with the required 2 hr check it you are cutting it close - since its LAX there going to a lot of flights - personally look for one a little later-

Yes. That was our biggest delay, LAX. It was a weekend day. We dropped off at the SWA terminal. The line was out the door, ran for half a block up the street and doubled back on itself. That was just to get into the terminal. After check in, then a big line to hand carry our luggage to a luggage screening and drop off point. And then.....another huge line to process through security. We had a 2:30 flight for which I had assumed we would be really early. We would have made it ok, but not with near the time to spare that we thought we would have. And then.......after all that, out flight was delayed until 7 pm. SWA did give us each a $200 credit because of the delay. Got home at 3 am. Long day.

You can book the transfer on board at reception, we have always done it 1st or 2nd day to get it out of the way. It also allows them to organize number of buses and departure times times etc. I also think that they will only book yor transfer for flights after 2/3 pm forgot for sure.

If your booking a later flight you may also want to look at ship excursion that will drop u off at airport after excursion.

LAX can also be a nightmare if there is a high level security alert put in place as we experienced a couple years ago i think it was the rated to the shoe bomber scenario.