"Rome on your own" (Princes) excusion by private train - departure time, etc?

med_cruiser16

Hi,

Has anyone done the "Rome on your own" Princess excursion from the ship into Rome via private train? I presume this is faster than the same tour going into Rome by bus.

Id like to know the approx time of departure from the ship, the arrival time in Rome, and the pickup time in the afternoon. I need to plan a private tour in Rome so need to know when I can get in to town and when I need to finish by.

thanks !!

Haven't done it, but the departure time won't be known until you get your tickets onboard and will depend on a number of factors. As a rule of thumb, most excursions have departed within 2 hours of docking...

Hi,

Has anyone done the "Rome on your own" Princess excursion from the ship into Rome via private train? I presume this is faster than the same tour going into Rome by bus.

Id like to know the approx time of departure from the ship, the arrival time in Rome, and the pickup time in the afternoon. I need to plan a private tour in Rome so need to know when I can get in to town and when I need to finish by.

thanks !!

• 2 weeks later...
On a port day visit you don't have the time to use the HOHO buses to learn your way around. They don't move fast enough or come frequently enough, and they can't get very close to many of the major sites.

Agreed.

Ho-hos are ideal in some cities.

But Rome's not one of them.

The regular trains are massively cheaper than the Princess special, about 12 euros pp day-return & the ticket's good for Rome's metro & regular buses.

You can also take the train into one Rome station (eg Ostiense for the Colosseum) and back from another (eg San Pietro for Vatican), whereas for the Princess train the you have to return to the same station where you alighted (San Pietro?).

Downsides are that you have to make your own way from port to station (usually 10-15 mins, more like 25 mins during current docks works) and trains are usually very crowded. With Princess the transfer includes a shuttle between ship & station, and everyone's guaranteed a seat.

JB :)

I would give serious thought to just going on a regular train yourself. It will be cheaper, and potentially give you better use of your time in Rome.

I agree, it is very easy to DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums