Dramamine or Bonine

Anubi

Neither, get the patch. The directions for the patch calls for one patch however my doctor told me to cut the patch in half. Put one half away and cut the other half in half again. Place 1/4 behind each ear about 3 hours before sailing. This works perfect and if my cruise is longer that 5 days which it always is I remove the patches on the 5th day and use the second half cut again. This has worked for 22 cruises and I don't have dry mouth, not sleepy or dizzy. I weigh about 120lbs. My son in law is 6 5 and he cuts one in half and puts 1/2 behind each ear. First cruise I went on I used Bonnine and never ever again.

Neither, get the patch. The directions for the patch calls for one patch however my doctor told me to cut the patch in half. Put one half away and cut the other half in half again. Place 1/4 behind each ear about 3 hours before sailing. This works perfect and if my cruise is longer that 5 days which it always is I remove the patches on the 5th day and use the second half cut again. This has worked for 22 cruises and I don't have dry mouth, not sleepy or dizzy. I weigh about 120lbs. My son in law is 6 5 and he cuts one in half and puts 1/2 behind each ear. First cruise I went on I used Bonnine and never ever again.

Be aware that makes of the patch do not recommend cutting the patch. If your doctor told you to do it, I'd be cautious. Cutting the patch releases the medication faster than designed and can cause unwanted effects.

From the TransScop website:

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Each Transderm Scop
®
patch is formulated to deliver
in-vivo
approximately 1 mg of scopolamine over 3 days. Only one patch should be worn at any time.

Do not cut the patch.

The patch should be applied only to the skin in the postauricular (hairless area behind one ear) area.

In fact it says it twice:

• Patients should be advised not to cut the patch.

http://www.transdermscop.com/prescribing-information.htm

Usually, if a lower dosage is required, it's recommended that you place one of those small, round bandaids behind your ear, and place a (full) patch 1/2 on and 1/2 off it.

I took Dramamine non-drowsy shortly before a 17 mi ocean kayak trip, and I was fine. That was the recommendation from the tour company, so I went with it. I suppose either is fine but Dramamine non drowsy specifically states to take it about an hour before the activity versus the night before.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I had heard that one of those two was good for not making the taker sleepy; Gravol make me sleepy and I don't want to spend my vacation feeling like I'm underwater.

I have tried a wristband that was guaranteed to work and it didn't. :( So this time out, I'll try the Bonine.

So many remedies, there has to be one that works for me. :confused:

If all else fails, there is the injection. :rolleyes:

Not everyone tolerates Bonnie / Meclizine well. I found that it made me extremely drowsy.

Both Gravol and Dramamine offer a ginger based alternative. Gravol actually offers organic ginger in gelcap, tablet, and chewable formats. Both brands claim to offer a clinically tested/approved therapeutic dose of organic ginger. It should be noted that ginger may affect blood sugar levels.

A discussion with the family doctor about options is a good starting place, especially if one is taking any medication or has chronic health issues.

Recent Princess cruisers: Do they still have complimentary Meclazine on request at Guest services? They did on our last Princess cruise, but that has been over a year and it seems the cruise lines are cutting back on some of the small perks.:(

I agree with Bonine! Forgot mine on the ship when we tendered into Maui to head out to a whale watching tour. Bought some on shore, went to head for the pier...alas...got my times mixed up for the shore excursion and they were boarding as we arrived. I took Bonine in the line up JUST before we got on the boat....the huge swells while whale watching were incredible...and I survived!!! Won't buy anything else now (and yes..have to buy it prior to departure as we are from Canada also!!) Heading out on a Caribbean 2 week B2B in January!!

Fortunately I've never been sea sick. However, I have had many bouts of vertigo and have tried Bonine and Meclazine. Both made me very ill. I tried Ginger Root capsules and oh boy they were terrific. You can get them at the big box stores and are very inexpensive.

PCsunlover, I too can have some vertigo. I believe it is called 'central vertigo'. It is the whole situation with the eyes, inner ear, etc... Hanging off of heights is what will really set it off. I have forgone Helicopter tours, like on KAUAI, because of this. I hate i t!

Do you think that these meds might help for me?

I think I will do some more research.

The patch would be out for me, as dry eyes/mouth etc, could be an issue.

• 2 months later...