Cruise bargains

Deenie33

Ok . . .When I start to search for a cruise I run the gambit of searching 4-6 different sights - at least. The prices on any given day are all the same everywhere but the promotions may differ. Sometimes a lot and some times a little. I am not one to wait til the last minute to book nor do I want to book more than a year out - although, it's easiest enough to get your money back if you find something better price wise, or a different itinerary that strikes you (following the rules of cancellation a year out ,of course).

So here is my question ~ Some ppl on these forums talk about getting amazing deals . . . How do you find them? Is there a trick in knowing where to look, when to look, how to look????? Are they really any better than the best promo out there at the time?????

Some people wait till the last minute and check for good deals offered then. For this, you must be able to drive to the port as the last minute air will likely out weigh any savings on the cruise.

Some cruise lines allow a TA to discount prices. We sail with Princess and have found a TA that gives us about 15% off the price available on line from Princess and many TAs. In addition we get some OBC.

Carnival &, I believe, Royal Caribbean do not allow TAs to sell a cruise for less than their price. I heard they also limit the amount of extras such as OBC. Ships like to cruise full so often lower prices even a day or two before the sale date. We usually go to the ships site to see what their prices are. We got a price lowered the day before sailing to $249, outside,7 days. We also had a 7 day Princess for $199! We found that on their site.

But, e are both retired o can go anytime and can drive from NC.

Ok . . .When I start to search for a cruise I run the gambit of searching 4-6 different sights - at least. The prices on any given day are all the same everywhere but the promotions may differ. Sometimes a lot and some times a little. I am not one to wait til the last minute to book nor do I want to book more than a year out - although, it's easiest enough to get your money back if you find something better price wise, or a different itinerary that strikes you (following the rules of cancellation a year out ,of course).

So here is my question ~ Some ppl on these forums talk about getting amazing deals . . . How do you find them? Is there a trick in knowing where to look, when to look, how to look????? Are they really any better than the best promo out there at the time?????

Go to Conde Nast Traveler and get a "cruise only" TA recommendation for the line and/or destination you seek.

Talk to two or three of those TA's about the best they can do for you. You'll eventually zero in on someone who will get you every break/discount/credit/OBC possible. On lines like Oceania or Azamara, this can bring your bottom line down to the price of HAL, Celebrity, etc. with far better food and service with no "nickle/diming".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All good advise - Thank you. A TA that I have used in the past ( and really like) told me that she could get better deals on occasion b/c she was able to book at "group" rates if enough ppl signed up with her. I don't really know the industry like many of you but I am assuming that other TA's do the same when ever possible and that's where some of the perks come from.

It sounds like you just have to do your homework - compare and then leap. I have found, if you do the math . . . the base price is all the same between booking agents but the perks are slightly different. One may offer OBC and Free Gratuities....and another will offer, what seems to be, a lower fare and just OBC....Does anyone else find that to be true???? (BonnieJ -can't wait for retirement and being able to plan a getaway on a dime ).

We find the prices presented on the web sites are all the same. I believe that the cruise lines dictate this.

In our experience there are two ways to save. The first is with cruise line special. For example, every week we look at the RCI and Celebrity 'Tuesday Specials'. We have booked a number of cruises based upon this pricing-they are often in the final payment window. We also signed up for last minute Princess specials which get emailed to us. Anther site that has vacations to in their web page name also provide us with an indication of pricing.

We get TA OBC's on every cruise we book with our TA. Usually 8-12 percent rebate of the commissionable fare. Once in a while we will pick a cruise that the agency has a group buy. This usually results in an additional OBC, a very slight cabin upgrade or a free excusion.

We only deal with an on line TA who....has the cruise line charge our credit card, has no agency fees for cancellations outside the final payment window, does not charge for re-pricing (when the cruise price decreases prior to final payment) or cabin changes (if the cabin categories change and we can score a much better cabin for the same price or less). We also like our on line TA agency because we can always reach them-someone is always at the end of the phone.

I agree with Paul about being able to drive to the port. I just got an e-mail from princess offering a 3 day cruise in a balcony for $199 with $100 obc leaving from LA

The Florida people have many more options in the Caribbean. We can only go to Ensenada or up the coast