Disembarkation in La La Land (Los Angeles)

PrevailingConditions

My wife and I will be disembarking in Los Angeles from the Coral Princess. Were looking for a Holiday Inn property (Priority Club members) to stay for one night while we look LA over a bit. It would be great if we could utilize the hotel shuttle for both the cruise ship and airport transfers. If anyone has suggestions for one day tours or a property it would be very helpful.

I did a search and there's one in San Pedro. It probably has a shuttle. However, it's not the best location from which to do some sightseeing. Others wouldn't have a shuttle to the pier but you can get to them by taxi or SuperShuttle. There's one near LAX and they would have a shuttle to the airport from the hotel. http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/hd/united-states/california/san-pedro-hotels

Try Holiday Inn Express & Suites Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/los-angeles/laxfa/hoteldetail .

They have no shuttle to LAX or the port.

This hotel is close to the red line stop and a lot of tour buses.

You will not find a Holiday inn that has both a shuttle to LAX and the pier.

There is nothing to see or do staying at any hotel that has a free shuttle to LAX and unless you want to stay a night on Long Beach and see the sights there no hotel with shuttle from pier. Things are very far apart.

What do you want to see in LA?

Edited by Donray

We natives often call it La-la land. Many of us who live as far as possible from downtown don't consider ourselves to live in LA when talking amongst ourselves, though (if asked, we'll identify with the community we live in, especially if we live in "The Valley").

I would definitely post your question on the western destinations board including whether you intend to rent a car or not. And what you would like to see (touristy sites -- if you don't have a car, you may want to look into city tours; museums, amusement parks, major shopping malls). San Pedro is great for pre-cruise stays if you're just counting down the hours (the two recommended hotels there will shuttle you to the port for your cruise) but a distance away from popular sites such as Hollywood.

I believe many people recommend Sunseekers, but again, do a search on the western destinations board for "tours" and you'll get some recommendations. The usual tours will include Farmers Market (which actually is one of the top tourism sites in LA), the Hollywood area, maybe Santa Monica (if you can stay there, there's a great pedestrian-based area known as the Third Street Promenade, which has restaurants, shops, and a lot of opportunities for people-watching).

My suggestions for where NOT to stay: by the LAX area (think strip mall in the literal sense) and in downtown LA.

LA is a pretty widespread city (and county too) so you'll want to narrow down any sightseeing unless you do go with a established tour. Our public transit system isn't very rapid, and usually those who use it are local workers and students who don't have wheels.

Having been a resident of San Diego, CA (SD1, it's a Navy town) for six years, referring to Los Angeles as La La Land is not considered to be disrespectful and certainly not derogatory. In my experience, the LA residents that I have met, take a perverse pride in the eccentric reputation of their city.

No hotel will provide port and airport transfers because of the distance involved. We stay at LAX hotels when we fly out of town but we live several hours from LAX and use park and fly. I wouldn't stay at LAX if I wanted to see LA. The San Pedro hotels are convenient to the port and is easy to go over to Long Beach but also not a good option to see LA.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Having been a resident of San Diego, CA (SD1, it's a Navy town) for six years, referring to Los Angeles as La La Land is not considered to be disrespectful and certainly not derogatory. In my experience, the LA residents that I have met, take a perverse pride in the eccentric reputation of their city.

That's funny because all the people I know from Daygotown never say "LaLa."

...the terminal isn't near anything, there's a Holiday Inn in Sta Monica across the beach and pier you see a lot in films and tv; it is near tons of things to see and do, with tours that pick you up there to everywhere....enjoy your stay.

Yup. I live in San Diego, and we just call it LA.
Same here. We usually say LA but with a look as though you've just bit into a lemon. It's all in the expression. :) Everyone here in the OC who I know avoids LA, the 405, the 5, and anything near LA like the plague and go there only if necessary or under duress. :) Edited by Pam in CA

Same here. We usually say LA but with a look as though you've just bit into a lemon. It's all in the expression. :) Everyone here in the OC who I know avoids LA, the 405, the 5, and anything near LA like the plague and go there only if necessary or under duress. :)

I agree - I lived for 30 years in the Valley, and escaped to Ventura County.

Same here. We usually say LA but with a look as though you've just bit into a lemon. It's all in the expression. :) Everyone here in the OC who I know avoids LA, the 405, the 5, and anything near LA like the plague and go there only if necessary or under duress. :)

It doesn't seem like duress to me when I visit my cousin at her beachfront home in Manhattan Beach. :eek:;) I have to hop on the 405 for that one, unless there's something I'm missing.

And to those who are so sensitive about nicknames of cities, (not referring to you, Pam, since I highlighted your post ; ) , some need to lighten up.

Frisco sounds ridiculous, but it in no way offends me, nor does La La Land:rolleyes:

And I'm a native Californian.

Edited by 4cats4me

There is a holiday in express at the airport we stayed at after departing Golden post Hawaii cruise.

Collected a rental car for 24 hours and gave us the flexibility to do what we wanted. Meant we could utilise the airport shuttles from San Pedro and then the car rental shuttles from the airport.

It doesn't seem like duress to me when I visit my cousin at her beachfront home in Manhattan Beach. :eek:;) I have to hop on the 405 for that one, unless there's something I'm missing...

OT: Timing is everything. I have driven the length of the 405 on a Sunday morning without even tapping my brakes, but it has also taken me as much as 4 hours to go from Mid-Wilshire to San Diego during the afternoon crawl through LA and OC.

I don't hate on LA at all. It is just that the commute traffic there is horrendous. There are some great things to see and do there, I just try to time visits around the traffic when I can.

I was born in the hospital which is now a Scientology center, I believe, but grew up in the Valley, and moved back there about some 31 years ago, fer shur. Spent many an hour commuting to the other side of the world on the 405 or 101. Now bringing up a Val of my own.

It was a bit strange the last few weeks taking my daughter to some doctor visits and each time was asked if we had visited West Africa. I truthfully said I hadn't even left the Valley in many months (a couple of weeks ago we actually had to go to Santa Clarita -- home of Princess HQs -- for a doctor's visit and that was out of the Valley).

If people think we're a bit on the looney side, I'm not offended. At least I don't have to drive around in blizzard conditions during the winter.

It doesn't seem like duress to me when I visit my cousin at her beachfront home in Manhattan Beach. :eek:;) I have to hop on the 405 for that one, unless there's something I'm missing.

What you are missing is the commute to and from the Valley from West LA.

When we look at the morning traffic report, it looks the same every day RED.

Around the South Bay curve, it is a kinder gentler trip.

Nope. You're not missing anything. On the other hand, one reason why I didn't buy in Laguna is that getting in and out of town can be a nightmare. (Not to mention the inflated home prices.) And it's even worse in the summer. Instead, I'm ten minutes from the ocean, 5-10 from the 73 to go north or south, and while not an ocean view, I've got a view of the mountains 40-50 miles away.

I was born in the hospital which is now a Scientology center' date=' I believe, but grew up in the Valley, and moved back there about some 31 years ago, fer shur. Spent many an hour commuting to the other side of the world on the 405 or 101. Now bringing up a Val of my own.

It was a bit strange the last few weeks taking my daughter to some doctor visits and each time was asked if we had visited West Africa. I truthfully said I hadn't even left the Valley in many months (a couple of weeks ago we actually had to go to Santa Clarita -- home of Princess HQs -- for a doctor's visit and that was out of the Valley).

If people think we're a bit on the looney side, I'm not offended. At least I don't have to drive around in blizzard conditions during the winter.[/quote']

OMG, I always thought the Valley ended in Santa Clarita or Valencia. OK, fine, I learned something today ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

OMG, I always thought the Valley ended in Santa Clarita or Valencia. OK, fine, I learned something today ;).

Actually once you cross the Santa Susana mountains, you're in Santa Clarita Valley. If it wasn't for those mountains, it would be a pretty quick drive between here and Valencia, going as the crow flies.

Actually once you cross the Santa Susana mountains' date=' you're in Santa Clarita Valley. If it wasn't for those mountains, it would be a pretty quick drive between here and Valencia, going as the crow flies.[/quote']

OT: I've driven the 5 freeway through there many times and never realized that. I'm usually so glad to get off the Grapevine (it snowed the last time), that I don't care where I am. Totally ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling