Kinda "Live From" - CSI: NA (Nieuw Amsterdam, 11/16-11/23/2014

POA1

We were late leaving because of a medical emergency on the Celebrity Silhouette. They were behind us and we had to back out, so we needed them to move first.

We're having dinner in Tamarind tonight. It'll be our first time there.

If they hype if to be believed, sliced bread wouldn't have been that big of a deal if they had the Tamarind first.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/49168/brief-history-sliced-bread

More later. Half Moon Cay tomorrow.

For Cate54 from our late November roll call: Movies: Expendables 3, Guardians of the Galaxy

CruiseCritic seems unusually slow from the ship. Other sites, including our own servers seem quite a bit faster.

We're headed over to Half Moon Cay shortly. I will post a more comprehensive update when we get back to the ship, but we dined at Tamarind last night, and saw the BB King All-Stars 8:30 show. After that we went to the Crow's Nest.

The Piano Bar was not doing anything last night. (We checked, Ruth. :))

02-2014-11-17-Half-Moon-Cay.jpg

On this day in history, 101 years ago -- The steamship Louise became the first ship to travel through the Panama Canal in 1913. Passengers are excited to be part of this historic event, but there was quite a bit of complaining about the dress code. After all, it's the 20th century and we can't hold on to these Victorian ideas about proper wardrobe forever.

Time for a little geek stuff. Several people have asked about Internet packages and speed on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

For reference, here are the speeds I got on land back in Fort Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale Reference Test - 10:00 AM - Tues. 10/28

Wired Internet (IP-DSLAM*):

Seattle:

Download Speed: 12310 kbps (1538.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1871 kbps (233.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

New York:

Download Speed: 19541 kbps (2442.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1768 kbps (221 KB/sec transfer rate)

Chicago:

Download Speed: 20278 kbps (2534.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2006 kbps (250.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

*IP-DSLAM stands for stands for Internet Protocol Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer and is a 2nd generation ADSL2/2+ solution deployment. Unlike first generation ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line,) IP-DSLAMs do not make use of Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) as the underlying transport protocol. Instead they leverage Packet Transfer Mode (PTM)**.

**What?!? What does this even mean??***

***The section did start with "time for a little geek stuff," didn't it?

T-Mobile Wireless Hotspot via my phone:

Seattle:

Download Speed: 4813 kbps (601.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1196 kbps (149.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

New York:

Download Speed: 1755 kbps (219.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1167 kbps (145.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Chicago:

Download Speed: 4370 kbps (546.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2057 kbps (257.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Nieuw Amsterdam Internet Speeds - Off Half Moon Cay:

Seattle:

Download Speed: 2053 kbps (256.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 630 kbps (78.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

New York:

Download Speed: 2037 kbps (254.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 530 kbps (66.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Nieuw Amsterdam Internet Pricing:

Pay as you go: $0.75/min

100 minutes $55, 250 minutes $100, 1,000 minutes $250

Bottom Line: This not bad satellite speed at all. I am posting this from the desk by the window in our stateroom, so I'm not directly under an access point.

Edited by POA1

The Piano Bar was not doing anything last night. (We checked, Ruth. :))

Thanks. :)

Maybe later in the evening? Sometimes it takes a while on the first night for people to wander around and sample the various spots. Some even go back to their cabins to finish unpacking (what? not finished before dinner? :eek:), or retire early after a long day of travel (what? you didn't come a day early? :rolleyes:)

Thanks. :)

Maybe later in the evening? Sometimes it takes a while on the first night for people to wander around and sample the various spots. Some even go back to their cabins to finish unpacking (what? not finished before dinner? :eek:), or retire early after a long day of travel (what? you didn't come a day early? :rolleyes:)

There was no one in the Piano Bar - including the pianist - when we checked. I looked at the schedule from yesterday, and I see that he wasn't scheduled to start until 10:30 last night, so that might be why we missed him. (Admittedly, we didn't have a super late night last night. We were plum tuckered out from the long, arduous journey. We'll be rested up for tonight now that the jet lag is out of our system. :D) You can expect a full report!

There was no one in the Piano Bar - including the pianist - when we checked. I looked at the schedule from yesterday, and I see that he wasn't scheduled to start until 10:30 last night, so that might be why we missed him. (Admittedly, we didn't have a super late night last night. We were plum tuckered out from the long, arduous journey. We'll be rested up for tonight now that the jet lag is out of our system. :D) You can expect a full report!

jet lag? was it a long trip from the condo to the NA - LOL :p

hope you are well rested today :D

We were plum tuckered out from the long, arduous journey. We'll be rested up for tonight now that the jet lag is out of our system. :D) You can expect a full report!

That was a terribly long journey.:rolleyes: So glad you were able to survive it and still write a report!:eek:

POA - perhaps you can report back on what there is to do after 9pm, for the benefit of the other thread running close to yours right now.;) I'm betting that even if there was absolutely nothing scheduled, you would be able to make your own entertainment.:D

I see you have Jeremy at the piano. Not one of my favourites, unfortunately. I will be interested to hear what you think of him.

There was no one in the Piano Bar - including the pianist - when we checked. I looked at the schedule from yesterday, and I see that he wasn't scheduled to start until 10:30 last night, so that might be why we missed him.

The first night all the musicians from the lounges are part of the show (which is usually one show at 9:30). That show introduces the various musicians from around the ship who are there for your entertainment every evening.

Hence, they get started later, or take a break from their assignment.