Eastern Caribbean excursion help

leighi123

Looking for ideas for Excursions for our family for the Eastern Caribbean.

Grand Turk

San Juan

Philipsburg San Maarten

We have 7 adults (25-28 and 60ish), 1 child (7) and 1 senior (87) who cannot walk long distances (we are renting her a wheelchair, though she doesn't normally use one and can walk)

I'm looking for ideas we can all enjoy together, or possibly things just for the younger set while the rest hang out on a beach or something.

7yr old is very smart/well behaved and LOVES history (and is a homeschooler) so things like that are still a possibility with him along. He also loves the beach, snorkeling, etc.

We generally have just showed up at ports and "figured it out" on our own, so possibly will do that if there is a significant cost difference (trying to keep costs down in general), but this is my grandma's first cruise (at 87yrs old!) and the priority is making it enjoyable and easy for her.

So suggestions as to what we should do?

Grand Turk you port at a beach resort owned by the cruise-line. Very limited scope for exploring this small island, the vast majority treat this as a beach day. Get advice about exactly where to snorkel - we didn't, & snorkelled on the beach by the ship - clear water, very safe, but little of interest. But apparently the right spot will be much more rewarding. There's a flow-rider & other toys, & free sunbeds. Bar prices are steep, at least as high as ships' bars. And 15% "service" added, same as on the ship. But if you leave the cruise line's private beach (to your left as you look from ship to shore) just a few yards to a locally-run beach-bar their prices are much lower, and deals to be struck such as a bucket of beers.

St Maarten you have a good choice.

Mebbe taxi to the French side & end up at Maho beach to watch the big jets fly in (about 12.30 - 2pm). Here's a taste http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBmChT4KTs

Comfy bars both ends of the beach - get your driver to drop you at the one where there's a constant flow of taxis & vans back to Philipsburg.

There will be taxis/vans (probably most of them?) capable of carrying a folding wheelchair.

In Philipsburg (for most a reasonable walk or water taxi ride, for you a short taxi hop from the ship) there's a good selection of locally-owned shops (and the best duty-free shopping on your cruise), with a beach behind.

Or the most popular beach is probably Orient beach, though that's a taxi ride away - arrange for your driver to come back for you at an agreed time.

Sorry, can't help re SJ.

Or with tour operators, we tend to wing-it.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

May I suggest you do a few things as part of your research.

I would visit the ports of call boards on Cruise Critic for teach of these ports. It will give you idea on what might be of interest to you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=587

Visit http://www.frommers.com

You can look up each port and it will give you other ideas on what you can do and visit.

Another nice source that people don't always find on Cruise Critic has additional destination information.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=34&src=nav

I agree that in Grand Turk there is a very nice beach that is literally at the pier and I would make that day a beach day for the family. It would be very easy for everyone. The beach is quite nice.

San Juan has the old city to explore. Another possibility is to arrange for a driver to take you around parts of the island. You can get ideas in the places that I have recommended.

Keith

Orient Beach is a NUDE beach. The local buses don't go there. I'd say Maho beach as planes literally land and take off right over your head. There is a beach they fly over. You can Google it and see photos of how close the planes are.

In San Juan you MUST go to El Moro! This is the huge fort you pass going into and out of San Juan that was built in the 1500's! However it is a long, uphill walk from the street to it. There is an open air bus that will take you right up to the door but you may have a wait to get it. It may be too long a push for a wheel chair and there are narrow steps inside the fort to get to different levels. Again, Google it. Even people who aren't into history will love seeing and exploring it! There aren't any beaches here.

Grand Turk is a port built by, I think Carnval. It is only 7 miles long. There is a big beach here, a free form pool with a bridge going over the pool. There is also a Flow Rider but you have to pay to do it but it is a lot of fun to watch. This is surfing on land. I am 70 but loved doing this on RCCL!

Find some books on Caribbean Islands and check the islands you will be visiting. You can read about each island and decide what you would like to see. then check the excursions or take a taxi to those places.

I liked the HOHO bus on San Juan.

I second the Fort in Old San Juan. Families come to the vast lawn in front to fly kites. There is a second fort, can be reached on foot, maybe not while pushing a wheelchair, but grandma may want to return to the ship while your boy is up to a visit of another fort that has viewing slits built during WW2.

In Philipsburg on St. Maarten, I would possibly split the group and do downtown with grandma. Take the wheelchair and walk to downtown Philipsburg. There is a also a boat you can take there. They have a nice beachfront promenade and lots of little stores right behind it in a parallel street.

Your boy is probably interested in the history of St.Martin/St.Maarten. By the way, St. Martin was a soldier in the Roman army and a church named for him is right on the promenade. In Germany, children do a lantern parade in November in his honor. He is reputed to have helped the poor. You don't have to be catholic to appreciate such a person.

I have been to Orient numerous times, and have NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen any nudity whatsoever.

Now, CLUB ORIENT is the nude beach at the southern most point.

Agreed. A regular beach, but with a nude section well out of the way at one end.

JB :)

I suggest going to the forts in San Juan. They're part of the U.S. National Parks Service. They're within walking distance of the pier, although it might be too far to go trying to push someone in a wheelchair.

In Grand Turk, there's a nice small museum-like area in the port near the shops about John Glenn's Friendship 7 space flight. The capsule splashed down near Grand Turk.

Add to concerns in San Juan that the streets and sidewalks are narrow with curb cuts few and fair between as well as not being very smooth. The strongest in your group should do the pushing.

If any of the group has US National Park passes, be sure to bring them for going to the fort(s).