Thoughts please - Alaska, Solstice, 6 May 2016

Busy Mum

Hi all,

As hubby and I will already be on the Solstice, sailing from Sydney to Vancouver, on a B2B, can all you knowledgeable people who have been to Alaska before give me your thoughts on this Solstice cruise, should we decide to stay 'on board':

Day 1 Vancouver, British Columbia

5:00PM Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Ketchikan, Alaska Docked 7:00AM 4:00PM Day 4 Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska Cruising 6:00AM 10:00AM Day 4 Juneau, Alaska Docked 1:30PM 10:00PM Day 5 Skagway, Alaska Docked 7:00AM 6:00PM Day 5 Inside Passage, Alaska Cruising 6:30PM 10:30PM Day 6 At Sea

Day 7 Victoria, British Columbia Docked 6:00PM 11:59PM Day 8 Seattle, Washington

7:00AM

My thoughts are:

• I have read on CC that Glacier Bay is better than Tracy Arm Fjord;
  • Not sure if we would have long enough in Juneau (daylight hours); and
  • Certainly not keen on arriving into Victoria at 6.00 in the evening.

We have not been to Alaska before so we do want it to be the 'right cruise'. Should I wait until Princess release their itineraries, which I believe will not be until March/April 2016.

Any comments, ideas, thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Vicki.:)

A few notes from someone who lives in Alaska...

It can still be very snowy in the beginning of May. Some things will be closed in May (I'm sure there's excursions through the cruise line though).

I would look at a line that does Glacier Bay if you don't expect to ever do an Alaskan Cruise again. It is breathtaking (NCL, HAL, and Princess routinely do these itineraries as they are the only lines with access in the prime months, everyone else goes in May and September when snow is a real possibility).

By May there will be quite a bit of daylight hours since the sun sets around 8pm in May and it won't even be pitch dark at that time.

Usually cruises are released about a year out. I'd look this summer.

my wife and I did a 7 day one way Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to seaward on the carnival spirit, we had a balcony (you must have a balcony) on the starboard side for cruising going north,and it was in skagway that my wifes childhood dream was fulfilled, we helicoptered to the top of the mountains inland and she had (so did I ) a sled with 16 huskies and we went around on the snow on top of a glacier for about 1/2 hour.

there is only one thing I can say about a cruise at that time of the year in Alaska, and that is 'absolutelythebestthingwehaveeverdone"

go do it

I know it's a real pain to pack and switch ships but if you can grab a northbound to Anchorage (Seward or Whittier) you will sail the Inland Passage with a more enhanced itinerary.

Even with your present ship you will have plenty of time in Seward to either take the train or grab an excursion via the Roll Call to Emerald Lakes and Carcross. With an evening landing in Victoria you will miss the jewel of Burchart Gardens and high tea at the Empress.

An aft cabin for Alaska is the best possible cabin site especially when sailing the bays and/or fjords.

My first Alaskan cruise back in 2006 began on May 10th. The entire week we were sailing the daytime temps were in the mid-40's (fahrenheit) and mostly sunny. We had two days of rain: Once while sailing through the inner passage and during the morning hours of when we were in Skagway. While in Skagway we rode the White Pass train, which takes you to the border of Alaska and BC, Canada. There was a LOT of snow, but we were also at a higher elevation than where the train began.

My second Alaska cruise was in August. The daytime temps pretty much hovered in the mid-60's to low-70's (fahrenheit) at sea level. When we were in Juneau we took the tram up to Mount Roberts and hiked. There was snow on the ground up there. Not a lot, but patches of snow. And when we sailed Tracy Arm Fjord, while not below freezing, it was quite cold (and, again, this was in August!). Though there's also a glacier there as well. ;)

I would not be put off by sailing in May in Alaska. Heck, I'm booked for 2016 for the end of May. Just be aware that it will be chilly. Rain is more likely than snow during the day; sun is just as likely as rain.

Tracy Arm Fjord alone is worth it as far as I am concerned. Sawyer Glacier and the surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous! You'll definitely need to check with Celebrity to see if they offer an off ship excursion on to a smaller vessel to get closer to the glaciers.

That's my 2¢. I say don't be concerned and enjoy the beautiful sights. Just be prepared to dress in layers. :)

Here's my take on the situation.

If you have come all the way from Australia - take an Alaskan cruise. You are there - don't miss Alaska! I imagine the cost is huge to return later to take such a cruise.

We have done Alaska on both the Millennium and the Solstice (southbound from Seward and in/out of Seattle). Have also done HAL's Veendam and Amsterdam (northbound from Vancouver and in/out of Seattle). Both shoulder seasons and prime time. Weather can be unpredictable anytime. The Great Land of Alaska is not to be missed!

Celebrity is my favourite cruise line but for Alaska, and having sailed with both, I would hold off until Princess releases their itineraries. I think they do it better.

I love Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier, but that early in the season, depending how much ice is around, you may not even get to the glacier.

I am a diehard Celebrity fan, but honestly the Solstice Alaska itinerary is not the best. If I had only one shot at Alaska, I would definitely look for a cruise with more ports, and longer time in ports. If possible, go for a one-way to or from Seward/Anchorage and try to fit in at least a few days going up to Denali. I am actually going on the Solstice to Alaska next year, but I have been three times before so went more for the ship than the itinerary this time. This cruise would only give you a small taste and definitely leave you wanting more. I am truly disappointed at the options Celebrity offers for Alaska lately.

Here's my take on the situation.

If you have come all the way from Australia - take an Alaskan cruise. You are there - don't miss Alaska! I imagine the cost is huge to return later to take such a cruise.

We have done Alaska on both the Millennium and the Solstice (southbound from Seward and in/out of Seattle). Have also done HAL's Veendam and Amsterdam (northbound from Vancouver and in/out of Seattle). Both shoulder seasons and prime time. Weather can be unpredictable anytime. The Great Land of Alaska is not to be missed!

I agree....if you are already out this way, it will be well worth your time to do the Alaska itinerary. We have gone in May once but more often in Sept. We've been extremely lucky with great weather on all but one of our Sept cruises. This is our favorite cruise destination, so you won't hear anything other than 'go for it' from me.

Alaska in late May and early June is beautiful! This wouldn't be my choice of itinerary simply because I'd want to go to Glacier Bay if this is your only chance for Alaska.

That being said, if this is the only one that works for you, the time you have in Juneau would be just fine. We've done an afternoon docking in Juneau before and really enjoyed it.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and comments, its very much appreciated. my thoughts, so far, is to wait for the Princess schedules. this will probably mean having several days in Vancouver, which I think would be very worthwhile!

Thanks again & please keep your ideas coming.

Vicki.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and comments, its very much appreciated. my thoughts, so far, is to wait for the Princess schedules. this will probably mean having several days in Vancouver, which I think would be very worthwhile!

A great decision, Busy Mum, speaking as a Vancouverite. Allow yourself lots of time to see the city and surrounding area. Maybe drive up to Whistler, tons of Aussies there, and the drive is spectacular or take a ferry over to the Island to see Victoria.