Live from the Sojourn Barcelona - Cape Town

clarky

Bom Bom Island experience: This is the first time Seabourn has been to Bom Bom Island and taking so many supplies off the ship is logistically challenging for the crew. What a great day we had. We have had caviar in the surf in Ko Khood in Thailand but this surpassed even that. The island itself is so tropical. The white sand is surrounded by grass and palm trees so there is plenty of shade. There were in fact two beaches, one near the swimming pool of the resort. The water was very clear and a perfect temperature. My husband and I took one of the paddle boats out along with a kyak. They also had the banana boat operational and many passengers enjoyed this. My husband also went water skiing and enjoyed himself. The whole event was a huge success.

Thank you for continuing with your posts and I am glad you enjoyed the beach BBQ and caviar In the surf. I have enjoyed all of the ones we have experienced including lovely Ko Kood. Now thanks to your description I have a new one to aspire to. Was this on the original itinerary or was it added because some of your ports were canceled?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Walvis Bay Namibia: This port was a highlight for us. I had booked a private 4x4 tour into the desert and then onto Sandwich harbour. What a wonderful trip. After going up and down amazing dunes we reached beautiful Sandwich Harbour. We stopped to look at the ruby red sand and spot animals in the desert. We then stopped for Champagne and oysters (local from Walvis Bay) in the middles of the dunes, talk about decadent. As we were overnight at this port I booked a kayak tour to see the seasl and the many birds including two types of flamingo. If you ever think about doing this cruise with Seabourn and are able to kayak then this is the tour to do. We were kayaking amoungst thousands of young seals. They played with our paddles and played chase with our kayaks as well as giving us jumping displays over the front and rear of our kayaks. This was also a private tour I had arranged and well worth the $50.00 USD. We left the ship at 7.45 a.m. and were back by 12.30 as the ship was leaving at 3.00 p.m. Great port and a lot to see and do. Guests who took the Seabourn tours also said they had a fantastic time and friends who could not kayak took a private tour in a large catamaran to see the seals. They really enjoyed this tour and one of the seals comes on board the boat to get his feed of fish!

I have just had a face to face with immigration in the Grand Salon and overheard a lady saying that they are expecting 200 new passengers to board in Cape Town and that 20 children will be amoung them. Not sure if this is just a rumour or a fact but I hope it is just a rumour for the sake of the guests boarding. We have had one child on board this cruise and it has caused some contention amoungst the guests. I do know that it is school holidays in South Africa but can not imagine the ship handling 20 children.

As always the food and service remains 1st class.

Walvis Bay Namibia: If you ever think about doing this cruise with Seabourn and are able to kayak then this is the tour to do. We were kayaking amoungst thousands of young seals. They played with our paddles and played chase with our kayaks as well as giving us jumping displays over the front and rear of our kayaks. This was also a private tour I had arranged and well worth the $50.00 USD. We left the ship at 7.45 a.m. and were back by 12.30 as the ship was leaving at 3.00 p.m. Great port and a lot to see and do. Guests who took the Seabourn tours also said they had a fantastic time and friends who could not kayak took a private tour in a large catamaran to see the seals. They really enjoyed this tour and one of the seals comes on board the boat to get his feed of fish!

Enjoying your reports - Bom Bom sounds quite unique.

Question about your great kayaking experience ... was there any concern about sharks? I may have watched one too many Discovery Channel specials with a great white breaking the surface of the sea, but I was just wondering if that was a concern amongst all the bait (e.g. baby seals).

Henry,

Lovely pictures and lovely family! I must say a few of your pictures with the lush desert foliage look just like our part of Arizona.

Enjoy the cruise and the holidays and do keep posting your pics.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Henry,

Lovely pictures and lovely family! I must say a few of your pictures with the lush desert foliage look just like our part of Arizona.

Enjoy the cruise and the holidays and do keep posting your pics.

We've never been to Arizona but commented that we imagined it was like being there !

Long straight roads, heat haze shimmering off the tarmac and mountains in the distance.

Henry :)

We've never been to Arizona but commented that we imagined it was like being there !

Long straight roads, heat haze shimmering off the tarmac and mountains in the distance.

Henry :)

Actually, Arizona is very varied. We live at 4300 feet surrounded by Pinon pine trees. Go 30 miles north and we are at 7,000 feet amidst some of the largest stands of Ponderosa pines in the USA. Drive one hour and we are skiing between 9,000 feet and 11,000 feet.

Of course there is a lot of desert in Arizona. But it is not all the same. There is the High Desert, the Painted Desert, the Sonoran Desert, etc. etc.

Back on topic (slightly), I have a friend who is originally from South Africa and who lives in New River (just north of Phoenix). He says it reminds him of South Africa.