Live from the Sojourn Barcelona - Cape Town

clarky

I have spoken with Handre and he is leaving the ship in February and Sophie (who is now assistant CD) will be taking over. Handre will be back on board the Odyssey in May.

The food has been exceptional other than the too salty soups in the Colonnade. The fish I had today in the Colonnade was cooked to perfection.

Today I had arranged a private tour for the 6 of us traveling together. Tangier was a great surprize. The day was lovely and sunny and 66f which made walking through the Kazba a great experience. We also took a drive to the lighthouse and had a fantastic view of the old town of Tangier. The medina was a delight with winding narrow street full of bakeries, tailors, silk thread stores and beautiful door and tiles decorating the front of the small houses. After Casablanca my expectations were low and after visiting Tangier I can say we had a delightful day. I would highly recommend the tour company I used and the tour at $35 Euro it was good value for money.

I know that a lots of people on these boards (like me) like to know what complimentary wines are on offer. I have had a copy of that list delivered to our suite and include a picture of it here. I also have a picture of the menu for tonight.

IMG_20141125_145256.jpg.39b167442ffb497b4cb7281b22c459b0.jpg

IMG_20141125_145316.jpg.62539ad977c913874b51f7d61d004ee1.jpg

MrL - of course I'm bringing the whippet, and the flat cap is perfect attire for Formal Night, it goes beautifully with my dress. Who needs diamonds? ;)

My wife apparently.

New evening dresses have been spotted in her dressing room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tell her she's welcome to borrow my flat cap, if the evening dresses need any extra accessorising. :eek:

Thanks,she said that she would have a look at the cap first and then decide if it adds anything to the outfit.

Clarky,

I am with Mr Luxury here. I cannot read the wine list you posted. Tried enlarging it but it becomes too blurry. Can you try again with a larger image please.

PS We will be joining Sojourn in Capetown on 21st Dec.

We also boarded in Barcelona and totally agree with the comments regarding the improvement since the World Cruise last year on the Sojourn. I am including a link to my blog, which is primarily a way for me to organize the photos I am taking on the cruise. I very seldom include photos of passengers, crew members, etc, and this is not intended to be a critique of the cruise or Seabourn. We are doing the full 116 day cruise. http://www.cliffphotos.com/SeabournSojournNovember2014.html

Remind me, are you going to be on board over Christmas Cliff ?

Henry

I have spoken with Handre and he is leaving the ship in February and Sophie (who is now assistant CD) will be taking over. Handre will be back on board the Odyssey in May.

Clarky -

Thanks for asking. Sorry that Handre will be on the Odyssey and not on the Sojourn in May. We really enjoy cruising with him.

Sorry about the pictures of the wine list and menu being too small. I struggled to get the size right. I had to involve my husband the Tech Nerd in the family and even he found it difficult. I will try again.

We have a day at sea today and the sun is out so I imagine the pool deck will be busy. Just to keep you informed we received the guest list today and the make up of passengers is:

Argentina 2

Austria 3

Australia 72

Belgium 2

Canada 27

Denmark 1

France 2

Germany 41

Greece 2

Ireland 1

Italy 1

Japan 2

Netherlands 4

New Zealand 2

Norway 6

Spain 1Sweden 8

Switzerland 13

United Kingdom 77

United States 142.

Ravenscroft, diamonds may well be a girl's best friend, however, those funds would be better spent on additional Seabourn days! News is that Hotman Vitor Alves is returning soon. Marcel has been wonderful as well. We are wondering what is happening with Karl. We cannot have him getting too attached to land as Bozi did! Once again, wish you all were here on this fantastic voyage! Champagne wishes to all!

Oh how wonderful that Vitor is returning. You know when he is on board everything runs smoothly.

Hope you continue to all have a wonderful cruise and thank you for keeping us "vicariously" with you with the updates and crew info.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Yes - Looking forward to catching up!

You will have been on board longer than the captain this year !!

See you in a few weeks Cliff.

If there's anything you need bringing over from the UK feel free to let me know, henry at CCTV42 dot co dot UK

Henry :)

Agree,if he's on for Christmas I hope he does a better job than last year.

MrL, can you remember if it was Vitor on the Quest Christmas Caribbean the year before last ? I can't remember.

We had several problems on that cruise (our first Seabourn) and my usually extremely mild-mannered husband was driven to distraction by the lack of leadership we encountered when trying to solve those problems. If it's the same person, I hope my husband doesn't remember him!

by the way, please tell Mrs L that the whippet is also on offer for her to borrow, however I doubt that Nick will allow him into the MDR on formal night.

Hello Clarky

Many thanks for sharing your cruise with us.

I shall be embarking in Cape Town so it is great to have up to date news.

On reading the latest Seabourn brochure, I see a 'new' feature - PressReader mobile. Is this available on board?

If so, is there a good selection of international press and magazines (I would be interested in French & UK particularly)?

Is the service deducted from a wifi package, or how does it work?

Many thanks

Brian

MrL, can you remember if it was Vitor on the Quest Christmas Caribbean the year before last ? I can't remember.

We had several problems on that cruise (our first Seabourn) and my usually extremely mild-mannered husband was driven to distraction by the lack of leadership we encountered when trying to solve those problems. If it's the same person, I hope my husband doesn't remember him!

by the way, please tell Mrs L that the whippet is also on offer for her to borrow, however I doubt that Nick will allow him into the MDR on formal night.

No it was not Vitor on the Quest,I will have a look at an old guest list.

Mrs L would rather take the whippet on the cruise than me.

She prefers anything with four legs and a tail to humans.

She is the animal expert in the trivia team.

Edited by Mr Luxury

It is funny that we have differing opinions of him. I have always found him to be tuned in to everything going on and responsive to any guests who have a problem.

Oh,you're the one!

Vitor is very good in the office and with paperwork but is not so good dealing with guests on a personal basis.

He does not have the personality like many other hotel directors on Seabourn.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Each to his own opinion regarding what a good Hotel Manager must embody when it comes to satisfying our expectations...

Some nod and grimace a bit upon hearing of one's issues with onboard service and others go the distance to resolve the issue, leave you with the impression that they were happy to do so, and also ensure that all are treated fairly on the staff side. That combination wins for me.

In my experience, and for what it's worth, Daniel does it all. He is a balanced and clever communicator. I believe he has a great reputation generally and importantly with the crew as well. And so I am always delighted to see him.

Nothing more to add to that. Let's hope that consistency of skills is improved across the board for everyone's sake.

Happy sailing!