BB King Blues Club scheduling?

elycelynne

On HAL's website it lists three ships where the BB King Blues Club is currently featured, and three ships where it will be returning in November, December and January, respectively (all Vista and Signature-class). Do the bands rotate among the ships? In other words, will the bands leave their current ships to play in the three upcoming clubs, or will they really have six different bands?

Does anyone know how this works?

Edited by elycelynne

From talking to a band member we got the impression that the BB King band works a lot like the HAL Cats bands. The HAL Cats "band" consists of about 300 musicians of all the various instruments who are all trained to play the same music the same way as all the others. They are then sent out to ships as needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly like the HAL cats (who are of varying quality) but professionally trained by the BB King organization. The BB King band onboard the Westerdam last week was highly professional and as good as any band performing on Beale Street in Memphis. Exceeded my expectations (typically playing 3 times a night with one night in the large theater).

• 5 months later...

HAL-Koningsdam-BBKingCollage.jpg

Re: B.B. King's Blues Club

BB King’s Blues Club – Cruise Entertainment – Holland America Cruises

Due to the tremendous popularity of the B.B. King’s Blues Club on ms Eurodam, Holland America Line is pleased to welcome B.B. King’s Blues Club to the

ms Westerdam, ms Zuiderdam, ms Noordam, and ms Nieuw Amsterdam. Join these world-class musicians as they create a dynamic energy that will move you to sing and dance along.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Entertainment.action?WT.ac=pnav_Onboard_ENTERTAINMENT

FWIW, the namesake of HAL's "Blues Club" just passed away.

The thrill is gone: Blues legend B.B. King dead at 89

0514%20bb%20king.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

BREAKING NEWS – B.B. King, the legendary blues singer, songwriter, and guitarist, died Thursday in Las Vegas. He was 89 years old.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/05/15/blues-legend-bb-king-dies-at-8-attorney-says/

FWIW, the namesake of HAL's "Blues Club" just passed away.

The thrill is gone: Blues legend B.B. King dead at 89

BREAKING NEWS – B.B. King, the legendary blues singer, songwriter, and guitarist, died Thursday in Las Vegas. He was 89 years old.

When I heard the news, I wondered if this would have any effect on the "clubs" on the ships.

The band members audition for the gig. They're usually part of the group of players in the B. B. King club house band for a particular city. The exception is that the Holland America version of the bands does not have a trombonist, while the clubs' bands do. The club version sometimes has a rhythm guitar. The ship only has lead and bass.

Every band member we spoke to said that the ship band is a great job to land. To a person, they all said that they would do it again if the opportunity presented itself. If you see some band members out and about, offer to buy them a drink. It's the polite thing to do. ;)

We really enjoyed BBC King on the 20 day repositioning cruise on the Westerdam in April. We had to state where we would be for Club Hal so more often than naught we wrote "Queens Lounge".

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. What do you get instead of BB King if your ship doesn't have that? We were on Westerdam in Jan, and had BB King. :) But no Neptunes. :mad:

So dare I hope I'll hear the Neptunes on Veendam in August? Or something other than Halcats?

RIP BB.

I woke up this morning to the news that BB King had died in his sleep. I had a chance to meet Mr. BB King in 1991, on the set of Married With Children. I had done a little bit of work on the show, and my dad was also working on the show. Mr. King shot his scene after the audience had left and there were about 10 of us standing around while they played back the scene in the control room to see if they needed another take. During that time, He sat there on the bench that was part of the scene, and played a song for the small group gathered. It was one of the coolest things I had ever experienced and I still tell the story from time to time.

Also that day, I stopped him and talked to him for a few brief moments. I honestly have no idea what we discussed but he was a charming, and polite man and I never got the feeling that I was wasting his time. When he had to leave, he shook my hand and politely excused himself with more humility than you would expect from a true legend. Anyone that I have ever talked to that has met him has a similar story as to how incredibly kind he was.

My upcoming ship .. MS Amsterdam, doesn't have the club, but I wish it did.

Slightly more up-to-date info on which ships have the BB King's Club from the HAL website:

B.B. King's Blues Club

Each night in the Queen's Lounge. Direct from Beale Street, our B.B. King's All-Stars band brings the best of Memphis music to sea. From funky and fast to soulful and smooth, the band does it all while you enjoy a signature drink or dance the blues away.

Clubs are now open in the Queen's Lounge on:

ms Eurodam

ms Koningsdam

ms Nieuw Amsterdam

ms Noordam

ms Oosterdam

ms Rotterdam

ms Westerdam

ms Zuiderdam

Plan your cruise now and experience B.B. King’s Blues Club.