QM2: Disembarking Southampton and traveling from there

SB_Travlr

We're doing our first TA from NY on the QM2 next May, and looking forward to it. I'd love info about disembarking in Southampton and traveling on from there...

TA tells me that arrival time is 6:30 am (presumably depending on weather during crossing.) Once we are on the dock (what will that time be, realistically?) what if anything does Cunard offer in terms of onward transportation, say to London? I'd guess that boat trains are a thing of the past! :)

Let me know what experience/recommendations you might have -- TIA! Also, we're doing a return eastbound trip a month later. Won't have any use for our formal wear in London -- are there any facilities for storing it till we travel back to NY? I really don't want to lug it round London!

Hi- Cant help with formal wear storage, since we're flying back but we did book motorcoach from dock to St Pancrease (there is also one to Victoria Station) . Our hotel is appx one mile fr drop off point, so we probably will take a taxi for that. Much less costly than going by private car. My TA booked it for me thru Cunard

Cunard does have a service to store bags in Southampton, and it is very reasonable. Ask the pursers office for details. As for travel to London, I recommend the train. From the pier have the taxi driver take you to Southampton Central station (specify the London side, so that you don't have to haul bags up and over the tracks.) Trains go about every 30 minutes and the travel time to London Waterloo is about 1:25. The trains have first and third class service, difference is the width of the seat. There is usually a refreshment trolly for drinks and light snacks. And there are rest rooms on the trains. You can buy the tix earlier on line and collect them from a machine or get them from a ticket agent when you get to the station http://www.nationalrail.co.uk for schedules and fares, but they don't book to far in the future. Fare is about GBP 36 for third. There are other services car hire, bus but my personal preference is the train as its fast and easy and it gets you to Central London with taxi service to your hotel or where ever you want to go.

Edited by Bigmike911

As others mentioned Cunard will store your bag for you while you travel around Europe. We've used it every time we've gone. You leave your bag outside the door the night before you arrive in Southampton and it will be back in your room on your return trip.

It was $65 for 30 days or under and I think $90 for over 30 days. Well worth it for the service.

We've used Cunard transportation, the train and a private car service in our past trips. If you're staying in London right after your transatlantic then the train or Cunard is fine. If you're traveling on that day from London, for example on Eurostar then I would recommend the private car service.

Our experiences are just our own of course but when we took the Cunard bus we had to wait for late arrivers and when we took the train it just stopped...and sat and sat some more before we got moving again.

DH is a real worrier so it was not a pleasant trip in. With the car service everything was on our schedule and we arrived at St Pancras far more relaxed!

I know others will compare the cost and of course it is more to go with a car service but when you think of it as a % of your European vacation...it's not that much for a worry free trip into London.

Taking a taxi to Southampton Central and the train from there to London is usually quick and convenient, not to mention considerably less expensive than a private car. Advance train fares, which can be a real bargain if they are available, go on sale 12 weeks before the day of travel. Of course, if you are heavily laden with bags, a private car would be worth considering, especially since you'd doubtless need another taxi once you arrived by train in London. We used a private car (Smith's for Airports) last summer and were delighted with it. But we shared the cost with another couple, so it was more affordable than it otherwise would have been.

Speaking of bags and expenses, the sad news, at least as far as I can tell, is that Cunard has changed its policy on storing luggage and raised the price. When I went to ask.cunard.com today, I noticed that there was no mention of luggage storage except the bare statement "There is no facility for you to store luggage at the terminals in Southampton." Puzzled, I asked my travel agent. She called Cunard and what they told her is that they are indeed still storing luggage in Southampton, but they now charge £25 for the storage fee, plus £25 per week, and there is a small charge to transport the luggage. In other words, a month's storage for one piece of luggage would come to over £125 (close to $200). Moreover, Cunard will now only store clothing and shoes; so no electronics, jewelry, or similar items.

Several people have spoken highly of Lok'nStore (http://www.loknstore.co.uk). A taxi could take you there in a few minutes and wait for you, and the prices at Lok'nStore are more reasonable. What you would sacrifice is convenience. If you store your bags with Cunard, you should find them in your cabin when you board the ship for your return voyage.

But however you get to London, and however you store your formal wear, you're almost certain to have a wonderful crossing!

Edited by Thaxted

If you find the luggage storage options in Southampton to be a bit unreasonable, you may wish to investigate whether you arriving hotel in London would store for you until you return to them for a last night's stay before your westbound departure. It would require schlepping that extra formal wear bag to/from London, but you may find the cost worth the hassle. Whatever you decide, enjoy your fabulous holiday!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If booking transport, don't book an early time, we have had delayed docking in Southampton a few times! We have been off ship as early as 7.30am, but once it was nearer 11am after a couple of delays in the English Channel. As to storage, if Cunard don't do it now, or it is super expensive, there are commercial storage companies in Southampton.

A very quick Google search revealed several companies, and at least 2 mentioned cruise luggage storage. One was 5 minutes taxi ride away, and you could get a quote on line, may be worth considering.

Enjoy your cruise!

Have a look at the Megabus site. This is site run by the Southwest Trains group, the rail operators, which enables you to travel around the SE of England for heavily discounted fares, for example Southampton to London from 5GBP

As you might guess, there are some conditions;-

You can only book three months in advance. There are only three scheduled trains each way nominated for the discount BUT they are off-peak, which is ideal for cruise passengers. Otherwise these are the standard services, sitting alongside passengers who have paid the full price.

Two hints; weekend bookings fill up very quickly with students, also you may be confused when it you start booking. The key is to look out for the box "How do you want to travel BUS/TRAIN ?" Tick train !!!

BOOK AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE/ NO REFUNDS.

If you are not in a hurry to get to London/ would like to see some of southern England's glorious countryside, here is another option.

There are two routes to London from Southampton. London Waterloo direct and London Victoria via Sussex on Southern trains which is a longer journey. However Victoria can be more convenient for some London hotels.

Southern also have some superb value fares if you book earlier. For example last week we travelled Gatwick Airport to Southampton for 15GBP pp for a day ticket but we could have paid only 5GBP pp if we could have nominated the actual train (difficult if you're on an incoming flight).

Hint; Be sure to book a through/ no changes service (check the box), otherwise you will be porting luggage across a station halfway through the journey. Not all services are direct.

Hope this helps and you enjoy the South of England.

Have a look at the Megabus site. This is site run by the Southwest Trains group, the rail operators, which enables you to travel around the SE of England for heavily discounted fares, for example Southampton to London from 5GBP

As you might guess, there are some conditions;-

You can only book three months in advance. There are only three scheduled trains each way nominated for the discount BUT they are off-peak, which is ideal for cruise passengers. Otherwise these are the standard services, sitting alongside passengers who have paid the full price.

Two hints; weekend bookings fill up very quickly with students, also you may be confused when it you start booking. The key is to look out for the box "How do you want to travel BUS/TRAIN ?" Tick train !!!

BOOK AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE/ NO REFUNDS.

We did the Megatrain thing from London Waterloo to Southampton back in October. We booked as far ahead as possible, and got our tickets for one pound each. It was very easy to use and I'd highly recommend it. Makes you feel like the old boat train is still in business.

We arrived on the QM2 on Nov 4th and weren't in a big rush as had booked a 1PM train to London with Megabus (6 pounds each, what a steal!)

The taxi line extended through the big warehouse-type building back into the terminal area, with at least 400 people waiting. Porters kept cutting in near the front of the queue. After 40 minutes waiting we had moved 15 feet. I could see the drive the taxis came in and they were arriving about 1 every 8 minutes. Port staff said the problem was a freight train blocking the road plus it was time for 'school runs' which the taxis are committed to do. It was complete disaster. Perhaps arriving on the weekend would be better. We decided to walk, in spite of luggage and rain. Others were doing the same. Many people were missing flights and trains. Folks who had booked cars were also waiting for hours as the cars couldn't get through either. As warned by the port staff, it was a long walk but at the ferry terminal (after about 20 minutes walk) we were able to catch a bus and fortunately had a bit of UK money for bus fare. Once we got to the train, all was well.

We once had a long taxi wait arriving at the pier in New York but this was 10 times worse. I wouldn't be surprised if some passengers were still in that terminal a month later.... I don't ever do the cruise line transfers but in Southampton it might be worth it.

And don't schedule onward travel too soon in Southampton!