Quantum Issues

e2011

I was on the 3 day and 2 day sailing. We had some minor issues, nothing major. We knew going into it that it was going to be rushed, particularly the 2 day. Everyone trying to get in as many activities as possible.

There is a lot of new technology on this ship. It takes time to work it all out. It is about expectations.

I took the all access tour. It gave me new appreciation for how hard the staff is working, what they have to deal with with so many demanding people, and how much pride they take in this ship. The Captain was so gracious and informative.

There is so much right about this ship, there are just some things to work out. I am a scientist, I know no matter hard you try reality does always not match theory. And I run clinical trials on thousands of tests sometimes before I find a bug. From what I understand it is a problem with the hydraulic fluid they are using in the North Star in cold weather. It can be fixed. Just give them a break and some time.

Check out my Quantum website in the shutterfly link below and experience the good, the magnifent and the splendor of the glorious lady. I loved her so much I just booked her sister!

Edited by transam84

I would wait a few months for some more reviews. But it looks like you have to book early to get the dining and entertainment that you want.

Exactly. That's is exactly what has been written/reported on this board when DD was first announced. Go back to the early comments on DD and you can sense the frustrations of Pax trying to manage the reservations on RCL's website. Heck, it took me some 3 weeks to book DD times with the help of a C&A associate. It was much smoother when the entertainment opened up, the only problem was conflict with the dining time(s.)

I also think people who sailed on the 2 night cruise were probably a disappointed because of the high prices with little return. If I was not able to get into a restaurant and pay I think I saw 600 for a two night cruise, I would be upset. Again, everyone was probably trying to cram as much stuff in as possible in 2 nights. I'm excited to go on my cruise on Dec 12, hopefully most of the kinks have been worked out by then!

I was on this cruise and had a wonderful time. It was only a 10-minute wait for the bumper cars.

We had no problems with any of the dining venues. They had everything that we wanted. We ate in Coastal Kitchen and Jaime's.

As for the bionic bar, they were offering free drinks.

I did meet people who did not make reservations for dinner since they booked the trip last week. They could not get into any venue and ended up eating in the Windjammer.

And yet we were able to make reservations for a party of three for 7:30 -7:45 in Chic and Grande shortly after we boarded on the first day of the two day cruise, without any problems and on one night of the three night cruise we at 6:45 in American Icon Grille (party of two) and found many tables available for those who simply walked up and asked to be seated. We did, however, find it impossible to get a reservation for dinner at Jamie's and observed extremely long lines there at lunch time. I am sure that this situation will be less of a problem on longer cruises. Frankly I found that the food was so good and the venues were so elegant in the complimentary restaurants that I could easily forego dining in any of the "for a fee" venues.

There were the usual technical glitches that almost always occur during the early sailings of any ship, but again, I believe that, given time, they will be resolved and eliminated. Our time onboard the Quantum only whetted my appetite for our longer cruise in February when we will visit warmer destinations.

Kudos to the line for the easy boarding system that fully lived up to their promises and to the fantastic ship which they have introduced.

We were also on the 2-day cruise and fell in love with Quantum within the first ten minutes aboard.

The bumper cars run about 3 or 4 hours per session. Rides last 1 minute. There are not 4000 people using the bumper cars, maybe 30 on line at one time.

The Quantum is an amazing ship. Royal Caribbean has taken some great risks and they have paid off ten fold.

The variety of restaurants each with their own distinct personality. We thought the food was delicious at Wonderland and the Grande.

There were service issues at American Icon Grill but, the food was delicious.

I would strongly advise you to keep your cruise on Quantum. There are always gaffs and issues on new ships, but, even so Quantum shines bright with a wonderful energy and innovative style.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We were thinking of doing the Quantum but I just got an email from a friend who went on the two day trip and apparently there were some big problems. Bumper cars only open two hours a day and only 8 cars and 4,000 guests. Crazy. Also I understand they actually ran out of several food items. RCCL is not new to the cruise business so how could this happen? The bionic bar where you are served by robots is apparently an epic failure. Many technical problems. And apparently the Northstar cannot be used in very cold weather due to hydraulics. So this winter is will remain non-fucntional until the ship gets into the warmer climates. I wonder why they picked New York as a base giving this issue? I think that will turn out to be a huge mistake for RCCL. They should have sent the Allure to NYC and had the Quantum in Florida. Also apparently at dinner they ran out of certain foods and then just brought people some random substitutes and said "I hope that is ok" Sounds like they have a lot of bugs to work out!

I'm not sure you have your facts straight. The photo of the bumper cars on another thread shows 15 cars (not 8).

You will be your own best judge, IMHO. Book the cruise and enjoy it!

We were on the 3 Day cruise and REALLY enjoyed it lot! We had no problems with shows or dynamic dining even though we booked the cruise two days before boarding.

Exactly! Be your own judge!

Too me its kinda silly for someone who WAS NOT ON THE CRUISE to take a reviewer stance. Its challenging enough to read a critique from someone who was there rather than someone who wasnt.

I'm not sure you have your facts straight. The photo of the bumper cars on another thread shows 15 cars (not 8).

There are 20 cars total - how many of those are put into use and how many of them work varies with each session. They can pull out 15 but only 12 may work or 8 may work.

Need to take the flow ride out of anthem it will never work with 3/4 of her time in cold weather on a 7 night cruise it will work only 2 maybe 3 days.Needs to be over 50 out to work .

Check the length of the itineraries and I think you will find many of them are 10 and 11 nights, not seven, and when Anthem is in Bayonne year-round, the cold temperatures won't be in play for seven or so months a year. From November through March or April they will still be in warmer climes for more days than in cool ones. It was bitterly cold out on deck when we were on Quantum last week so Flowrider and outdoor pool went unsused but it was perfectly comfortable in the Seaplex and Solarium and inside the ship where much of the daily activity took place (restaurants, lounges, theaters etc.)

I have four friends on the ship. Two solos and a couple. None of them are blown away. They all have praise in some things and are very disappointed with others. None of them plan on cruising on Quantum again, however they all say they would sail on Royal again, but on a smaller ship. The couple is D+. All four are very experienced cruisers.

The #1 complaint from all is the nickel and diming. The thing they all agree on is the decor. I have to say from the photos I've seen that the ship is very attractive.

That have all complained about things not working, and all feel that Royal should have done a better job with QA before accepting money to cruise on a ship experiencing the type of technical issues Quantum is.

Edited by ducklite

The #1 complaint from all is the nickel and diming.

Not surprised to hear that. IMHO RCI really needs to carefully consider their current level of nickel and diming because, although I've greatly enjoyed all of my RCI cruises, I've found this practice increasingly annoying in recent years. It was also an issue on my one recent Celebrity cruise, surprisingly, which makes me think it comes from the very top of the parent company.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have four friends on the ship. Two solos and a couple. None of them are blown away. They all have praise in some things and are very disappointed with others. None of them plan on cruising on Quantum again, however they all say they would sail on Royal again, but on a smaller ship. The couple is D+. All four are very experienced cruisers.

The #1 complaint from all is the nickel and diming. The thing they all agree on is the decor. I have to say from the photos I've seen that the ship is very attractive.

That have all complained about things not working, and all feel that Royal should have done a better job with QA before accepting money to cruise on a ship experiencing the type of technical issues Quantum is.

I am currently sailing aboard the Quantum of the Seas, and I agree with the reviews of your friends. It's a nice ship but definitely not WOW or awe-inspiring.

I have three previous sailings aboard the Oasis of the Seas, including it's inaugural transatlantic crossing. Naturally, my expectations are based on my experiences aboard that ship. In my opinion, the Quantum of the Seas has a lot of room for improvement. I will not book another cruise aboard this ship.

They will probably fix all the issue on the Anthem since that will be the new ship based in NJ next year and not the Quantum who will be going to China in April

Hopefully they can fix the North Star issue on the Anthem