Just One Of Those Weeks

Griller

They do NOT hand any tips they receive into the pool, FACT.:(

I didn't say that they handed "any" money they receive in, I said that if the auto-tips have been removed they must and do hand in any money they receive, and that is a fact which was confirmed to me earlier this week.

The on board Pre paid Gratuities go to all the Staff except Bar staff

The Bar staff receive the added Gratuity on the bar bill.

All extra tips received either in cash or "added" to the added gratuity on the bill are pooled and shared between the Bar staff

The Stewards keep their extra tips if Gratuities have been paid.

We have been told so many different tales re pooling of tips that we don't know what to believe with the result we just try to tip a fair amount. The last cruise we gave our young steward a decent tip, he whipped out his wallet which was bulging and promptly stuffed our notes into it and then stuffed it all into his pocket. He said he didn't need to pool it.

The on board Pre paid Gratuities go to all the Staff except Bar staff

The Bar staff receive the added Gratuity on the bar bill.

All extra tips received either in cash or "added" to the added gratuity on the bill are pooled and shared between the Bar staff

The Stewards keep their extra tips if Gratuities have been paid.

SPOT ON Pennbank !

So how do I know all this ? ...I made a point of getting to the bottom of this subject ( again for the second time !) by asking crew members on 'Queen Victoria ' this last week . :) and it would be safe to assume this is across the fleet.

:)

Can we just clarify here .. 'This is the Cunard Board' ! and they may of course have different arrangements re the pooling of tips/gratuities on other cruise lines. I wouldn't know. ;)

So, you've heard it from those of us who are regular Cunarders ;)

We have been told so many different tales re pooling of tips that we don't know what to believe with the result we just try to tip a fair amount. The last cruise we gave our young steward a decent tip, he whipped out his wallet which was bulging and promptly stuffed our notes into it and then stuffed it all into his pocket. He said he didn't need to pool it.

So last night, my husband asked it I had enough cash for a local trip...I took out my wallet, and it was bugling with bills. Fifty one dollar bills. Looked like a lot of money, but really not that much. I can imagine that a steward that is tipped in dollars might also have a 'bulging wallet'.

The custom on ships is that if you wish to tip an additional amount above the auto charge, you either put it in an envelope and give to the crew member, or do a gracious handshake, with a folded currency delicately transferred.

Morgan, I appreciate that you "just try to tip a fair amount'. That is admirable.

Cheers,

Salaicia

Edited by Salacia

Perhaps all of his charges remained in the auto tip pool, thus he could keep any extra cash that was given to him.

This is my point - no one really knows although we may think we do. We have heard so many different stories and have been told different things by stewards and by the reception desk. Very contradictory regarding pooling.

Thanks for your comments Salacia. We do try to do the right thing !

This is my point - no one really knows although we may think we do. We have heard so many different stories and have been told different things by stewards and by the reception desk. Very contradictory regarding pooling.

Thanks for your comments Salacia. We do try to do the right thing !

Except, of course, these people's emoyers, Cunard. Who register in a tax haven, and fail to pay a reasonable wage.

By tipping diretly, we deny the Treasury of various countries tax and NI which would be otherwise paying for, inter alia, schools and hospitals.

Nevertheless. We can't disagree that the service of often good and worthy of a tip - it's just shame, to my mind, that the tip isn't a little bonus, but is in fact contributing to no more than a living wage.

But this probably is 'thread drift'

Edited by Duncansmith

Except, of course, these people's emoyers, Cunard. Who register in a tax haven, and fail to pay a reasonable wage.

By tipping diretly, we deny the Treasury of various countries tax and NI which would be otherwise paying for, inter alia, schools and hospitals.

Nevertheless. We can't disagree that the service of often good and worthy of a tip - it's just shame, to my mind, that the tip isn't a little bonus, but is in fact contributing to no more than a living wage.

But this probably is 'thread drift'

Not thread drift but a point well worth making.

. I can imagine that a steward that is tipped in dollars might also have a 'bulging wallet'.

Salaicia

Would people really tip their steward with one dollar bills? Well they might if they were only tipping that amount, but to tip, say $20 plus in singles: unlikely.

David.

Yet if someone did a shift of morning room service, I could easily envision a wallet bursting with singles.

I must say though, being only a few weeks from our first time on the QM2 I am petrified that we have paid for a ship where sewage is being captured in buckets in the hallway. :eek:

Yet if someone did a shift of morning room service, I could easily envision a wallet bursting with singles.

I must say though, being only a few weeks from our first time on the QM2 I am petrified that we have paid for a ship where sewage is being captured in buckets in the hallway. :eek:

You can not be further away from the truth. You will have a magic time on board. The Decorations will be up soon.

The majority of sewage is contained in many posts on this board. Just relax and enjoy the trip.

:

Nobody tips stewards daily, $20 upwards at the end of the cruise and certainly not in ones.

David.

Ignore them. Your pre paid gratuities were, I presume, part of the price you paid, therefore it is up to Cunard to reimburse the crew to that amount if they failed to put it on your account.

I enjoyed your report. I feel very sorry it went that way but I am sure there was some good in the cruise.