Policy on passenger change?

shellsd

Hi all, hoping for a quick answer as I am considering the cyber monday sale. I just logged in and saw the prices and see that I can buy another stateroom for 2 passengers for a cruise I am already booked on for cheap. I'd like to get it for my brother and my mom. If I do it will be a Christmas present. If it turns out my mom cannot go, can I change that ticket to be for someone else or am I stuck once I put a name in? Thanks!!

p.s., my brother that I am considering buying for has cancer. Today he is OK and would have no issues on a cruise and would fully enjoy it. However, I have no idea how he will be in 3 months. Assume if I buy insurance and he cannot go because of that, that he would be covered for a refund?

I would ask Carnival your questions. The terms can vary with different rates.

You can book the room as a single, then add the second person later and pay the difference.

On the insurance. Yes, if he has to cancel he would e eligible for a refund.

Maybe book it as a single in your brothers name and take out the insurance.

Thanks so much for answering Domino, I figured chances of getting an answer from Carnival in the 54 minutes I had to make my decision was slim! Also, adding a second person later will probably be way more than the $100 it will cost me now on the cyber monday sale. hhmmm

Thanks so much for answering Domino, I figured chances of getting an answer from Carnival in the 54 minutes I had to make my decision was slim! Also, adding a second person later will probably be way more than the $100 it will cost me now on the cyber monday sale. hhmmm

Yeah, your best option might be to book it, take the insurance, and hope for the best.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you and the family.

As far as your brother and his cancer is concerned, he may not be covered if the insurance company considers it a pre-existing condition. Most insurance companies have a "look back" time frame that may be 6 months or so. It would be important to check with the insurance company before booking to find out what the policy is.

I hope your brother will be able to cruise and I wish all of you the best on your cruise.

You would probably be better getting 3rd party insurance and make sure the one you select has pre-existing conditions covered. IIRC, you have to purchase it before or shortly after final payment in order to get that special coverage.

Actually, most of the plans that cover pre-existing conditions require you to purchase within a couple weeks of booking. EM

To be covered with pre-existing conditions you'll need to get travel insurance within 14-21 days after your initial payment.

If you decide later on to get insurance and in need of pre-existing conditions, there is CSA Insurance which will cover pre-existing conditions, provided that you secure it within 24 hours of final payment. You'll pay a little more for this insurance, but it's an option in case you miss out on pre-existing insurance within days of booking.

.... adding a second person later will probably be way more than the $100 it will cost me now on the cyber monday sale. hhmmm

If you book as a single, adding as a 2nd name later would only be a matter of adding the 2nd name and paying the Gov't Fees and Taxes. The per person cruise fare would not change.

If you book the cruise, purchase the insurance IMMEDIATELY, or you could be subject to "preexisting condition" restrictions. I think it's within 15 days or something... I always try and purchase within the next day or two after booking my cruise to be safe.

Thanks all! I took a chance and bought the ticket. I am super excited to give it to my brother, now just crossing my fingers that he can go. His oncologist thinks he has a pretty good chance of making it to March and being able to enjoy it. I did purchase the insurance within minutes of booking. Now I can't wait for christmas! My brother has never gotten a gift like this for sure. Whoop!!

Thanks all! I took a chance and bought the ticket. I am super excited to give it to my brother, now just crossing my fingers that he can go. His oncologist thinks he has a pretty good chance of making it to March and being able to enjoy it. I did purchase the insurance within minutes of booking. Now I can't wait for christmas! My brother has never gotten a gift like this for sure. Whoop!!

Did you buy a third party policy or the Carnival Policy (which does not have a waiver of pre-existing conditions)?

For most policies the insured has to be able to travel the day the policy is purchased.

Ken

Did you buy a third party policy or the Carnival Policy (which does not have a waiver of pre-existing conditions)?

For most policies the insured has to be able to travel the day the policy is purchased.

Ken

I used TravelGuard. I have bought them several times, luckily never had to use them but they have good reviews and have been great to work with. Carnival canceled the cruise I was originally on and they were great about switching me to the new cruise in a pain free manner for less money. They waive pre-existing conditions if he can travel today (he can) and if you buy the insurance within 15 days (I did).