Is 18-20 really the worst age?

hkk02

We will be cruising on Carnival over New Year's Eve. I consider all of us first timers, although I did go on a chaperoned high school senior trip cruise many years ago.

My kids are 19, 12, and 7. I know the younger two will have a great time in their respective kid/teen clubs, but I've read many things, here and elsewhere, saying it's really the worst age for my older daughter to cruise. She is very social, but is there any opportunity for her to meet other college kids? She's not a big partier, so I don't think she'll be missing out with the drinking age on ship, but I guess I'm wondering if she'll end up feeling attached to my husband and me because there's no one else to hang out with.

Anyone with experience who can tell me how bad (or good?) it really is?

If she's social and friendly, she'll be fine. She's considered an "adult", and she'll do everything adults do (except drink)....I don't think there's any "bad" age to cruise! There will be tons of "young adults"...round the pool, sports deck, dance club. She'll be fine. Anything is better than hanging with mom and dad.

You and/or she may want to join the Roll Call for your cruise. There she cold meet some passengers her age before the cruise. To join, go to the top of this page and move the cursor over "Community". Select Roll Calls from the drop down. Scroll to your cruise line and then Click on your ship. Finally, find the thread for your sailing.

When my kids were teens and then into their 20's they cruised with us. At 19 or 20 there were no issues. They each made friends with others. It's no big deal. I would not worry about it and if the 19 year old ends up spending more time with you that's fine too.

Keith

It does not mean that she is a bad age, but on a cruise ship, she is sort of in between. The various kids programs end at 17. On the other hand she is too young to drink as the minimum there is 21 for US based ships. Often there will be a get together for that age group on the first sea day. Kep an eye on the program.

Definitely hope that the ship runs some "Club 18-20" activities. On a New Year's cruise your daughter could end up bombarded by hordes of 20-something guys trying to buy her a drink as soon as she sets foot out at the pool or in the disco.

Thank you everyone! I had heard about the meet and greet for her age group, but also some who said it isn't very well attended. It won't hurt to try. She'll definitely go in the disco with us, but she's nervous about the "older guys" lol. I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm thinking at that time there has to be other kids her she vacationing with their families.

Am I allowed to ask how strict they are with underage drinking? If not I'll delete. But if I bought her something would we get in trouble?

Cruise lines are very strict about underage drinking for oblivious reasons. Buying alcohol for an underage person would be in violation of Carnival's guest conduct policy. You could be subject to immediate disembarkation at the next port without any compensation if caught. Yes, and it's been done. It's just worth the risk, a ruin vacation and the high air cost to return home last minute.

Also, it is very important that she never go back to someone's cabin or to her cabin without your consent. Sexual assaults can and do happen on board cruise ship by other passengers and crew. Young adult simply don't realize the dangers even on cruise ship.

Edited by COMBOY

Thank you for your honest answer. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

My only other cruising experience was when the drinking age was 18 and it was not strictly enforced, so I was wondering his much had changed.

She is a smart kid and has traveled a lot (she was an exchange student in Europe at 17) so knows to never get into situations like that. Thank you for the reminder though, it's definitely something everyone needs to be aware of.

Cruise lines are very strict about underage drinking for oblivious reasons.

Oblivious?

If the cruise uses any US port(s), then the ship is likely to go by the US drinking age; 21. Most other ports in Europe and the Caribbean (including US territories) have a drinking age of 18.

You should probably find out what the ship's (or cruise line's) on-board drinking age is, if you plan on enforcing it. If the ship does not use US ports, it may choose not to enforce the unusually high US drinking age, and use the more common limit of 18 years instead. When at sea, it's the ship's rules that matter.

The drinking age on board is 21. I knew that, but when another poster mentioned guys offering to buy her drinks it got me wondering how strictly it is enforced. As I said in my original post, she is not a huge partier so I know she won't feel like she's missing out by not being able to drink. But I just wondered if it did come up if anyone knew if the policy is strictly enforced. It sounds like it is, and that's fine. I was curious though. Thank you! :)

Oblivious?

If the cruise uses any US port(s), then the ship is likely to go by the US drinking age; 21. Most other ports in Europe and the Caribbean (including US territories) have a drinking age of 18.

You should probably find out what the ship's (or cruise line's) on-board drinking age is, if you plan on enforcing it. If the ship does not use US ports, it may choose not to enforce the unusually high US drinking age, and use the more common limit of 18 years instead. When at sea, it's the ship's rules that matter.

I think that poster meant Obvious reasons? ;)