pillows & beds

As you can see from my sig..I will be on the Mariner soon. Should I bring my down pillow? I like soft, quishy pillows! But I don't want to bother packing it if the pillows are halfway decent. Are they?

Also, I have heard bad things about the comforters...do you notice them being scratchy or too flimsy?

Bottom line: how is the bedding on the voyager ships?

watersoul-

You might wanna bring your own pillow. They are the standard pillows, not down. It's possible that you can request a down pillow. I know when I was on Celebrity in the concierge class, they had a menu of pillows and I took advantage of that! We have about 7 pillows on the bed by the time I was done!! :D Does anyone know if RCI does the same thing with a menu of pillows? And if they would do u a favor to get one?

I believe the sheets are 100% cotton- they felt comfortable to me. As far as the comforter- it's like the ones in the hotels. Scratchy and not comfortable. I think they are called duvet covers?? I don't use them, I just set them aside.

The towels in the bathroom are 100% egyptian cotton!

Hope this helps,

gwen

I will only sleep on down pillows, and always bring my own with me. Cruise line pillows tend to be of the foam variety - due to allergens, etc. I just can't stand foam pillows! I also like soft, squishy pillows! Not only do I take my favorite down pillow on cruises, I take it everywhere (land-based vacations, hotels/motels, etc.) that I can expect the dreaded foam pillow!

The FIRST thing you want to do is remove the comforter! We were in a JS last year and they were pretty nasty. From what I have read from other threads they don't wash these too often.

As far as comfort and pillows go, if you like soft fluffy bring your own. If you have to have your bed the same way I would ask for an extra matress or egg cushions. We did not do this but the information was offered to me when I asked this same question.

I always ask the cabin steward to bring me a down pillow if possible. Once this task to 2 days to accomplish and the quality of the pillow was less than stellar. If you need a good down pillow, bring your own.

Comforter = bedspread

Eggcrates, according to what I've read, are available for the asking, and we will be asking, too.

The sheets are washed so frequently and a high enough thread count that they are very soft.

They do what nice hotels do: put a sheet over the top of the blanket like a duvet, so you have sheet under and over the blanket.

Pillows are so-so. Bring the down one. We always ask for extra pillows, too, since DH needs them to support his arms. He has back problems, too, and elevates his back with an inflatable wedge pillow and supports his arms with pillows.

thanks for the info:)

I think I will bring my own pillow. And I'll be asking for an egg crate thing too, after reading this! I didn't know you could ask for one. And possibly an extra blanket too, b/c I will be taking that comforter off.

In a little over a week, I will be taking my first RCCI cruise. Usually I am on Celebrity, and they always took the bedspread off at night, and left the blanket and double sheet configuration. Evidently they leave the spread on with RCCI?

When the cabin steward readys the room each evening for you,he will fold down the spread(comforter) and leave it at the bottom 1/3 of the bed. They probably do this for a twofold reason.No pun intended here. First reason is,once guests move into a cabin there is usually no extra space to put the spread. 2nd reason,it's there for you to pull over you,if you happen to get too cold through the night. I've never had to use the spread as a cover. Just the sheet and light blanket are plenty,even with the AC turned on high.

In a little over a week, I will be taking my first RCCI cruise. Usually I am on Celebrity, and they always took the bedspread off at night, and left the blanket and double sheet configuration. Evidently they leave the spread on with RCCI?

You must have misunderstood. The double sheeting is on the blanket, as GrannysT said above. The comforter is square cornered and fitted, so it's not meant to be a blanket at all.

The turndown service is the same on Celebrity and RCI.

I know this question will seem crazy, but here goes... I've got a down pillow at home that I love and am tickled to learn that I can take it onboard... but as for packing it - do you just "smush" it in a piece of the checked luggage? Doesn't it take up tons of space? :confused:

do you just "smush" it in a piece of the checked luggage? Doesn't it take up tons of space? :confused:

Yes, packing a pillow for air travel would take up lots of room! I only take a pillow if I'm driving to the cruise port. Usually I don't even pack it, just carry it on with me. Have fun squishing it in!

So, while on the topic of linens, how does it work with RCCL when it comes to pool towels and beach towels? Thanks

Not sure about beach towels but each cabin is given 2 pool towels the first day and they change em daily when the steward turns down the bed.

I know this question will seem crazy, but here goes... I've got a down pillow at home that I love and am tickled to learn that I can take it onboard... but as for packing it - do you just "smush" it in a piece of the checked luggage? Doesn't it take up tons of space? :confused:

Not crazy at all. I have used PackMate bags (the ones where you squeeze the air out) for mattress pads and gener packing. They work great with pillows, etc. I also use the small ones for undies and things that you don't mind if they get wrinkled.

I got mine from QVC; a pack of 12 in 4 different sizes.

By bringing your own pillow you are allowing anything (including any possible bugs) to burrow into your pillow and then you take them back to your home. EWW...

When all of those bed bugs news stories came on the biologists they had on said specifically that is how these things can spread so fast.... then once it is in your pillow and pillow case, even with washing, it gets into your sheets your kids beds, etc... then they take their pillows to a sleep over.... on and on... yuck! :eek:

I would risk it on their pillows to not bring that back with me...

If you do decide to do this, when I was younger I always carried my pillow for traveling. I pretty much always carried it with me not is a bag or anything. Otherwise put it in a tote for a carry-on and then you can use it on the plane too. It will "smush" down nicely in the overhead if you don't. You are allowed a carry-on and a purse/computer bag for each person, odds are not everyone has a purse or a laptop bag and it can count as someone's bag even if they aren't carrying it.

WBC

Use a zippered pillow protector on your pillow, and then have it drycleaned when you get home if you're concerned about picking up any critters.

As my signature states, I've sailed on RCI for a loooooong time, and we have never had a problem with bugs of any kind in our cabins.

On RCL the towels they give you for the pool are the same ones you use at the beach. Just be sure,if you use the ones the cabin steward leaves for you,that you bring them back. You don't want any surprise charges on your bill.

Archived