Dec. 2-14: New Orleans Vacation and Serenade Cruise Review

PaulInPGH

The outdoor seating at the WJ is one of the things we love about the Radiance Class.

Your experience with the M&M is probably pretty typical. We have found that if your Role Call plans a slot pull or pub crawl/poker run, that you have a lot more fun than RCCL's structured meet. If you have the opportunity to do these on future cruises, do them. I organized both on our last cruise, and they are not that difficult to set up.

Enjoying your review.

That makes sense. This particular role call was generally pretty quiet. I'll definitely look for those type of group activities on my next cruise though.

Cheers.

After we had our fill of relaxing in the sun, we grabbed a quick bite of lunch and then headed back to our cabin. We showered and changed and we then decided to go check out the Crown and Castle, the Serenade’s English pub. There was quite the crowd, as this was a Sunday afternoon and NFL games were being shown on the TVs. I fought an urge to check on my Miami Dolphins, which turned out to be a good move, since they lost. We tried ordering some of the more interesting-looking cocktails on the pub’s menu but were told they were unable to make any of them. Apparently they were missing key ingredients—for every drink. Nevertheless, we hung out in the pub until it was time for dinner.

After I ate enough schnitzel to feed a family of four, we walked over to Rita’s to grab another round of two-for-one margaritas, which we took with us to that evening’s show in the Tropical Theater. The show was a musical performance by Marcus Terell, a former RCI entertainer turned American Idol/America’s Got Talent hopeful. He was a pretty good singer, even if his song choices were a bit ubiquitous. He occasionally hit some very high registers in a voice I can only describe as Steve Urkel-esk. Still, an enjoyable show overall.

One of the things we really enjoyed on our cruise last year was listening to the piano player in the Schooner Bar, so we decided to give the piano player on this cruise a try. Unfortunately, while this gentleman had talent, he was utterly boring. His song choices had us yawning and ready for bed before we were halfway through our first drink. Abandoning this lackluster entertainment, we decided to make it an early night in preparation for another heavy schedule of relaxing on tap for the following day.

Up next: More fun in the sun.

Enjoying your review of New Orleans and the Serenade. Living in the New Orleans Metro area we only make a trek to the FQ for the French Quarter Fest and one small Mardi Gras parade call the Krewe du Vieux that passes through the FQ. Stayed a few times at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel and no ghost sighting yet. Food is everything to us and my weight is proof of that. We are just a few months away from our crawfish season, a few are already showing up do to a mild winter so far.

Our stay on the Serenade was for a 15 day TA (Barcelona to New Orleans) and it was a very laid back cruise. I thought it was just the 15 day agenda they planned out, but I guess not. Enjoyed every minute of it, dined every night in the MDR and had many meals sitting outside the WJ with an aft view for lunch or breakfast. Meet some great table mates from England and California, which we still email each other.

I thought the ship was great for its size, but I prefer the Voyager class ships Mariner of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas.

Looking forward to the rest of your review. Bringing back some great memories of the ship and the great crew we got to hang out with for 15 days. Bartenders got to know us pretty well as we had a premium alcohol package.:D

So am I correct is assuming that the Seaview Cafe has been replaced by Isuki?

We used to really enjoy the out of the way Seaview. No upcharges either.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Correct, Seaview café is now Izumi.

So am I correct is assuming that the Seaview Cafe has been replaced by Isuki?

We used to really enjoy the out of the way Seaview. No upcharges either.

As Coralc said, Seaview is gone, replaced by Izumi. But they now have the Parke Cafe on deck 11 down by the Solarium. I plan on ordering one of their roast beef sammiches when I get the chance. Might go there on embarkation if Windjammer is too crowded...

Edited by Raxter54

Enjoying your review of New Orleans and the Serenade. Living in the New Orleans Metro area we only make a trek to the FQ for the French Quarter Fest and one small Mardi Gras parade call the Krewe du Vieux that passes through the FQ. Stayed a few times at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel and no ghost sighting yet. Food is everything to us and my weight is proof of that. We are just a few months away from our crawfish season, a few are already showing up do to a mild winter so far.

Our stay on the Serenade was for a 15 day TA (Barcelona to New Orleans) and it was a very laid back cruise. I thought it was just the 15 day agenda they planned out, but I guess not. Enjoyed every minute of it, dined every night in the MDR and had many meals sitting outside the WJ with an aft view for lunch or breakfast. Meet some great table mates from England and California, which we still email each other.

I thought the ship was great for its size, but I prefer the Voyager class ships Mariner of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas.

Looking forward to the rest of your review. Bringing back some great memories of the ship and the great crew we got to hang out with for 15 days. Bartenders got to know us pretty well as we had a premium alcohol package.:D

I told my wife I want to stay at the Bourbon Orleans, or one of the other supposedly haunted hotels next time we visit. She's not having it though, sad to say.

While we had a great time on this ship I think that, like you, I prefer the larger ships, just enjoy the little bit of extra options. I would definitely sail any ship out of New Orleans though, pitty RCI is leaving.

Cheers.

As Coralc said, Seaview is gone, replaced by Izumi. But they now have the Parke Cafe on deck 11 down by the Solarium. I plan on ordering one of their roast beef sammiches when I get the chance. Might go there on embarkation if Windjammer is too crowded...

Never did Izumi, so can't comment on it. Did try the roast beef at Parke Café and it was pretty good. Parke Café was a little too healthy-food oriented for my liking, though I can see how this would appeal to a lot of people.

Cheers.

Never did Izumi, so can't comment on it. Did try the roast beef at Parke Café and it was pretty good. Parke Café was a little too healthy-food oriented for my liking, though I can see how this would appeal to a lot of people.

My wife will probably like the Parke Cafe since they have salads to order. As long as they have sammiches, I'll go along :D

Cheers.

My wife will probably like the Parke Cafe since they have salads to order. As long as they have sammiches, I'll go along :D

I've heard good reviews for both restaurants. My issue is a food allergy with anything involving sesame. They use sesame seed bread for the roast beef sandwiches in the Park View and Asian restaurants use many sesame products as well.

Unfortunate for me. I used to love the Seaview fish & chips.

I've heard good reviews for both restaurants. My issue is a food allergy with anything involving sesame. They use sesame seed bread for the roast beef sandwiches in the Park View and Asian restaurants use many sesame products as well.

They will serve you the roast beef without the bread.:)

Fish and chips? I love fish and chips! Is there anywhere else to get that on the Serenade? You'd think the British pub on the ship would serve it....

Fish and chips? I love fish and chips! Is there anywhere else to get that on the Serenade? You'd think the British pub on the ship would serve it....

No I don't think there is a kitchen near the pub. It used to be the sports bar.

The Radiance Class are smaller ships, 90,000 ton vs. 160,000 ton approximately. They are designed for an older crowd of cruisers as opposed to the larger ships that feature flow riders, etc. They are also much easier to navigate which tends to appeal to the older crowd.

!

Isnt the difference between the 2 classes, as an evolution, of what can be done in size of a cruise ship

The Radiance class was a Panamax design, to get thru the panama canal and compete with Carnival

Edited by jonbgd

We were on the Nov. 22nd sailing of the Serenade. It was our first RCCL cruise after 4 Princess and 6 DCL cruises. Quite honestly, we were very underwhelmed. I am still bugged about the fact that they bring the luggage up through the passenger elevators and leave it in the hallway!

I will say, I agree with a number of comments you have made and we wondered if we would have a different view of RCCL if we were on a different class of ship. Things that bothered me about the Serenade:

- We found the MDR food OK, but the WJ food not to be that great. Felt that the food was definitely a step below DCL and a couple below Princess.

- This was the first ship we have sailed without a poolside grill/ pizzeria. Not a lot of choice in grabbing a bite to eat. (Also, since our cruise was the first after the TA, most of the food had a European twist, like all of the British chips...). Also, they closed the WJ from 4:30 to 6:00 each day, so if you were hungry coming back from port, there weren't a lot of options.

- We never saw a show in the main theater (though we find that to happen on Princess as well). This is one place DCL excels.

- Would have been nice to have been able to carry on booze (like on DCL, though again, you can't on Princess either), and to have the soft drinks included.

- we liked being able to check your room account on your TV.

- Embarkation in NO was a nightmare (we had people that it took them 4 hours to get on the ship). That being said, I believe that may have been specific to our cruise since it was the first US departure after returning from Europe.

- We did have a really nice, big balcony (on the hump)

- We ran into the same puzzling MTD "accosting" right after we boarded! I laughed as soon as I saw that!

Anyhow, I am enjoying your review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmc alabama , thank you for explaining. Our last 2 cruises out of New Orleans were immediately following the transatlantic...and we found them to be sort of "off" as well.

We decided to wait a few weeks and found this one Dec 13-20 to be much more enjoyable. :D

- We ran into the same puzzling MTD "accosting" right after we boarded! I laughed as soon as I saw that!

They did that on the Grandeur out of Baltimore, as well. There was actually a rope line preventing you from not getting in line to make reservations. Once I knew what the line was for, I led a revolt and we all got out of line and stepped over the rope to break free. :eek::eek:

- We never saw a show in the main theater (though we find that to happen on Princess as well). This is one place DCL excels.

Just curious - since you never saw a show, how would you know that DCL excels?

And I guess I should be glad this isn't the first cruise after a TA :)

[quote name='bmc alabama']We were on the Nov. 22nd sailing of the Serenade. It was our first RCCL cruise after 4 Princess and 6 DCL cruises. Quite honestly, we were very underwhelmed. I am still bugged about the fact that they bring the luggage up through the passenger elevators and leave it in the hallway!

I will say, I agree with a number of comments you have made and we wondered if we would have a different view of RCCL if we were on a different class of ship. Things that bothered me about the Serenade:

- We found the MDR food OK, but the WJ food not to be that great. Felt that the food was definitely a step below DCL and a couple below Princess.

- This was the first ship we have sailed without a poolside grill/ pizzeria. Not a lot of choice in grabbing a bite to eat. (Also, since our cruise was the first after the TA, most of the food had a European twist, like all of the British chips...). Also, they closed the WJ from 4:30 to 6:00 each day, so if you were hungry coming back from port, there weren't a lot of options.

- Would have been nice to have been able to carry on booze (like on DCL, though again, you can't on Princess either), and to have the soft drinks included.

- we liked being able to check your room account on your TV.

- Embarkation in NO was a nightmare (we had people that it took them 4 hours to get on the ship). That being said, I believe that may have been specific to our cruise since it was the first US departure after returning from Europe.

- We did have a really nice, big balcony (on the hump)

Anyhow, I am enjoying your review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Honestly, the lack of additional food choice like you mentioned was one of my biggest complaints about this ship. Not only during the break between 4:30-6:00, but after the WJ closed at 8:30, which seemed a bit early to me. I have no point of comparison for other lines, so can't speak to that, but we did enjoy more options on the larger Freedom Class ship we sailed last year.

Cheers.

[quote name='PaulInPGH'] I would definitely sail any ship out of New Orleans though, pitty RCI is leaving.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

They will be back, just give them time to fit in the right ship. The draw of such a mild weather port for winter and all the city has to offer is too much to pass up.

One thing I forgot to mention in my last recap was our fantastic stateroom attendant Antonio. Very friendly, and excellent service all week.

Also, my wife loves towel animals and Antonio did one for us every night except for the first and last.

Below, I've attached a photo of the first towel animal he did for us. To this day, we have no idea what it's supposed to be. My wife originally thought penguin, but with a really stretched neck. Then we thought maybe a goose, but I'll just leave it up to you to decide.

[IMG]https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/10857753_10102003306230164_4508023548251712343_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=c4d90d464a039fd9e5c35491f223fa2c&oe=55397A93&__gda__=1430244997_d02cf5c1d7017596a36ec48068a3d972[/IMG]

[quote name='PaulInPGH']Honestly, the lack of additional food choice like you mentioned was one of my biggest complaints about this ship. Not only during the break between 4:30-6:00, but after the WJ closed at 8:30, which seemed a bit early to me. I have no point of comparison for other lines, so can't speak to that, but we did enjoy more options on the larger Freedom Class ship we sailed last year.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

I think the abbreviated WJ hours are a general trend in the cruise industry. We noted the same thing on our Celebrity cruise in November.

We started cruising when there was a midnight buffet every night, then it was trimmed to one night only, nowdays its only a gastronomic memory.