Rx Medications - Cozumel

sail7seas

I live in Cozumel and have been here for almost 9 years.Yes you do need an RX for antibiotics now. There are 2 Farmacia chins here that have doctors offices connected. Similaries which is mostly generic drugs, charges 45 pesos to see thedoctor..that is about$2.50. He/she will write the RX for you. Ahora Farmacias also have doctors for no charge and carry more than just generics. Over all medications here are usually less than the USA, but not always.

I live in Cozumel and have been here for almost 9 years.Yes you do need an RX for antibiotics now. There are 2 Farmacia chins here that have doctors offices connected. Similaries which is mostly generic drugs, charges 45 pesos to see thedoctor..that is about$2.50. He/she will write the RX for you. Ahora Farmacias also have doctors for no charge and carry more than just generics. Over all medications here are usually less than the USA, but not always.

Do they speek any english at Ahora farmacias?

Do you know what rx items are available at the pharmacy at Mega? Near Margaritaville.

There is a good reason why we are SUPPOSED to have an RX for antibiotics. They were being over used and abused and causes antibiotic resistant bugs. You may be able to find them without an RX, but you will pay more for them breaking the laws.

If there is no English spoken have your medication written down on a piece of paper and they will look up the Mexican equivalent.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you!

Do you happen to remember how much your imitrex cost? My preferred med for migraines is maxalt (rizatriptan) but my insurance will not cover it, and will only give me four imitrex per month. I'll be checking for both when I'm there in December.

Overall it sounds like the 'good ol' days' of cheaper meds in Cozumel are over. :\

Last week in Belize Imitex was $5/pill and Maxalt was $4/pill. Phentermine was $75 for 30 30mg pills. I forgot to check on the migraine medicines in Cozumel. Phentermine was not available there without a prescription.

Last week in Belize Imitex was $5/pill and Maxalt was $4/pill. Phentermine was $75 for 30 30mg pills. I forgot to check on the migraine medicines in Cozumel. Phentermine was not available there without a prescription.

Thank you! I'm not sure of the similarities these two areas (Cozumel and Belize) might have stock-wise, but maxalt isn't a controlled substance and isn't going to give anyone happy-time (other than the happiness of not having a migraine), so this gives me hope I can get some in Cozumel. They are $14/pill without insurance.

Where are the Forms Shops?

The Forum Shops are downtown above the Diamonds International. Any taxi driver will know where this is. But as of this summer they were only opening the days when Royal Caribbean has ship in port. Bobbie said she thought they would start opening more often in the near future.

Phentermine 30, 30 mg $59

Holy crap! I get forty five (45) 37.5mg Adipex here in Pennsylvania for under $30! (my insurance don't cover it) Of course I need a script from my doctor and it is regulated. I'll stick to getting that one here.

Holy crap! I get forty five (45) 37.5mg Adipex here in Pennsylvania for under $30! (my insurance don't cover it) Of course I need a script from my doctor and it is regulated. I'll stick to getting that one here.

Controlled substance, and doctors are getting less and less willing to write a scrip for what is essentially an amphetamine. No judgement--I tried it back in the day and lost weight, but of course it came back in six months and jacked up my metabolism for a while afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI. Before buying these drugs in Cozumel, you may want to read this information taken from the U.S. Passports & International Travel website.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

Buying Prescription Drugs: Any drug classified by the Mexican government as a controlled medicine, including antibiotics, cannot be purchased without a Mexican prescription from a Mexico-licensed physician. Purchasing a controlled medicine without a valid prescription is a serious crime for both the purchaser and the seller. Purchasing a controlled medicine with a U.S. prescription is not sufficient and is also illegal, regardless of what the Mexican pharmacy may be willing to sell to the purchaser. By law, Mexican pharmacies cannot honor foreign prescriptions; purchasing a controlled medicine with a U.S. prescription is illegal regardless of whether the Mexican pharmacy is willing to sell to the purchaser. U.S. citizens have been arrested and their medicines confiscated by authorities when their prescriptions were written by a licensed U.S. physician and filled by a licensed Mexican pharmacist.

There have been cases of U.S. citizens buying prescription drugs in border cities. Those arrested are often held for the full 48 hours allowed by Mexican law without charges being filed. U.S. law enforcement officials believe that as many as 25 percent of the medications available in Mexico are counterfeit. Such counterfeit medication may be difficult to distinguish from real medication and can pose serious health risks to consumers. The importation of prescription drugs into the United States can be illegal in certain circumstances. U.S. law generally permits persons to enter the United States with only an immediate supply (i.e., enough for about one month) of a prescription medication.

Criminal Penalties for Possession: Recent media reports have inaccurately described changes to Mexico’s laws regarding possession of controlled substances, including making blanket statements that new laws allow the possession of drugs for personal use. These reports may contain major inaccuracies about current drug enforcement policies and criminal penalties for possession currently in force. Additionally, the new drug laws include stiffer penalties for many drug offenses, and the sale and distribution of drugs continues to be illegal in Mexico. U.S. citizens should avoid the possession or use of all controlled substances to avoid possible prosecution under Mexican law.