Rx Medications - Cozumel

sail7seas

Why??? You don't give a reason. We live not far from Mexican border and often get our Rx filled there. Much cheaper, and meds are as good. Pharmacist is knowledgeable. I would think there are reputable pharmacies in Cozumel as well.

Just me, but I'm afraid the ingredients wouldn't be exactly the same.

If you are going to Belize also, the prices are better there. We get them at the Pharmacy on the port. the Pharmacist is American and speaks English (like a native, which she is!).

Everyone in Belize speaks English. It's their official language. :rolleyes:

I also have bought medications in Cozumel on many stops. I have never had a problem, except to misplace them in my luggage...long story. If your tour is also going to Honduras, it is the same, but the price of medications is less. We took tours in each place, asked the driver to take us to a pharmacy last thing, we bought, and he took us back to the ship.

Which cruise port are you coming in on? There are pharmacies all over Coz but they don't all have the same selection. I always use Discount Drugs and Souvenirs which is on the 2nd floor of the Diamonds International downtown. It's about a 10 minute taxi ride from Puerta Maya but they have a huge selection, including antibiotics and you do not need an RX.

If the drugs are of a similar quality as the diamonds, I hope your will is up to date.

Seriously though, doesn't anyone on this thread have health insurance w/script benefits?

If the drugs are of a similar quality as the diamonds, I hope your will is up to date.

Seriously though, doesn't anyone on this thread have health insurance w/script benefits?

I have health insurance with prescription benefits AFTER I hit my $1600 deductible thanks to Barrack Obama. It's Consumer Driven Health Care Plans. It sucks. I want my HMO back!

We have been buying antibiotics in Mexico for years (on both coasts). Never a problem or bad med. As for prescriptions, yes we have sometimes been ask (usually in larger pharmacies or pharmacies located in major supermarkets. Usually you just go a few blocks into town and it isn't a problem. We were in Cozumel just a couple of weeks ago and had no problems but the prices were suddenly much higher than in the past. For instance, we usually pay $5US for an inhaler. This time everyone seemed to want $13. We kept looking around and finally found it for $10. I don't know if the price of drugs has suddenly risen or the exchange rate maybe has gone the wrong way.

I know you are asking about Cozumel but thought I would mention that we ran into the problem of prescriptions in Belize.

As far a insurance at home, yes we can get them cheaper at home on insurance than in Mexico but that is never the whole story. First you have to go to the doctor (after you finally get in) and pay the co-pay. Plus we like to travel with several different kinds as many of our cruises are multi-week.

So....is it like walking into a Target or something where the meds are out on a shelf and you just pick up and take to the register?

Yes, for many antibiotics and non-narcotic meds, it is like buying Tylenol in Target.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread in hopes of current information. It seems like almost everything on the web is now outdated with regards to this topic.

Can anyone who has been to Cozumel *in the last six months* tell me if it is still possible to buy retin-a and imitrex (or other migraine triptan) in Cozumel? Neither of these are controlled substances, and no my insurance will not give me an adequate supply of migraine meds.

I'm also curious to just see these pharmacies, it's insanely hard to find current info about them. One "recommended" guide on another cruise travel site was dated, no joke, 1999.

Bumping this thread in hopes of current information. It seems like almost everything on the web is now outdated with regards to this topic.

Can anyone who has been to Cozumel *in the last six months* tell me if it is still possible to buy retin-a and imitrex (or other migraine triptan) in Cozumel? Neither of these are controlled substances, and no my insurance will not give me an adequate supply of migraine meds.

I'm also curious to just see these pharmacies, it's insanely hard to find current info about them. One "recommended" guide on another cruise travel site was dated, no joke, 1999.

Yes, I was just there in May and I was able to purchase Imitrex (didn't try for Retin A,but I'm sure you can get it). I was also able to purchase Amoxicillin which I was not able to purchase in Dec. although the price was VERY high compared to what it used to be. Imitrex prices were about the same.

Yes, I was just there in May and I was able to purchase Imitrex (didn't try for Retin A,but I'm sure you can get it). I was also able to purchase Amoxicillin which I was not able to purchase in Dec. although the price was VERY high compared to what it used to be. Imitrex prices were about the same.

Thank you!

Do you happen to remember how much your imitrex cost? My preferred med for migraines is maxalt (rizatriptan) but my insurance will not cover it, and will only give me four imitrex per month. I'll be checking for both when I'm there in December.

Overall it sounds like the 'good ol' days' of cheaper meds in Cozumel are over. :\

Thank you!

Do you happen to remember how much your imitrex cost? My preferred med for migraines is maxalt (rizatriptan) but my insurance will not cover it, and will only give me four imitrex per month. I'll be checking for both when I'm there in December.

Overall it sounds like the 'good ol' days' of cheaper meds in Cozumel are over. :\

Wow - only 4 per month. That's not good. I can get 9 per month. I fill my prescription every month, whether I need to or not.

We were in Cozumel and Costa Maya in May 2015 and the new prescription rules had already gone into effect at that time. I could get Retin A anywhere however it cost much more than it use to. When I first started buying it in Mexico is was about $13/tube. Last year the cheapest I could find it was $38 /tube. Still cheaper than US since it is not covered by insurance. I buy several tubes and keep them in the fridge. The expiration dates are marked on the boxes. Phentermine (diet pill) used to be available without prescription in Mexico for about $30 for 30 pills. Now you need a prescription. I did find one pharmacy that was willing to sell it without a prescription, but they wanted $85.

When do you sail? I will be in Belize and Cozumel the first week of Sept. I will look at the migraine meds and see how much they are.

Wow - only 4 per month. That's not good. I can get 9 per month. I fill my prescription every month, whether I need to or not.

We were in Cozumel and Costa Maya in May 2015 and the new prescription rules had already gone into effect at that time. I could get Retin A anywhere however it cost much more than it use to. When I first started buying it in Mexico is was about $13/tube. Last year the cheapest I could find it was $38 /tube. Still cheaper than US since it is not covered by insurance. I buy several tubes and keep them in the fridge. The expiration dates are marked on the boxes. Phentermine (diet pill) used to be available without prescription in Mexico for about $30 for 30 pills. Now you need a prescription. I did find one pharmacy that was willing to sell it without a prescription, but they wanted $85.

When do you sail? I will be in Belize and Cozumel the first week of Sept. I will look at the migraine meds and see how much they are.

Thank you! I should be in Cozumel (and also Costa Maya, FWIW) the second week of December.

Yeah, I went from being able to get 12 maxalt a month (which was usually a bit more than I needed) to only four imitrex, and the imitrex doesn't work as consistently as the maxalt did. The maxalt is twelve dollars per pill without insurance. I still have a valid scrip on file at the drugstore and there have been months I've been just about willing to pay that much.

I'd also be interested in tramadol/ultram, but it sounds like you can't get pain meds there anymore. I have a current prescription for this and God knows it's cheap enough, I suppose it's just idle curiosity for when the government inevitably schedules them out of existence. (they're very nice for my premature arthritis.)

Edited by perditax

Thank you! I should be in Cozumel (and also Costa Maya, FWIW) the second week of December.

Yeah, I went from being able to get 12 maxalt a month (which was usually a bit more than I needed) to only four imitrex, and the imitrex doesn't work as consistently as the maxalt did. The maxalt is twelve dollars per pill without insurance. I still have a valid scrip on file at the drugstore and there have been months I've been just about willing to pay that much.

I'd also be interested in tramadol/ultram, but it sounds like you can't get pain meds there anymore. I have a current prescription for this and God knows it's cheap enough, I suppose it's just idle curiosity for when the government inevitably schedules them out of existence. (they're very nice for my premature arthritis.)

If you are also going to Roatan, I have found the meds to be cheaper there. I don't know about imitrex or the others mentione but I have gotten some that I need for less than Mexico.

anyone able to get adipex? script needed and approx. cost?

thanks

Michael

I think adipex the same as phentermine. If so, in May 2015 you needed a script in Cozumel. One place would sell it under the counter, but they wanted $85 so I passed.