Vancouver--buying wine

bethohio3

We're flying into Vancouver for a same day departure. (I'd rather travel the day before but we couldn't make it work this time)

There will be two of us and we'd like to acquire two bottles of wine and a 12-pack of Diet Coke for our cabin prior to boarding. We could pack them, but traveling with glass bottles worries me.

With the flat rate taxi costs now to the Port, how do they handle a store stop en route?

Thanks!

We're flying into Vancouver for a same day departure. (I'd rather travel the day before but we couldn't make it work this time)

There will be two of us and we'd like to acquire two bottles of wine and a 12-pack of Diet Coke for our cabin prior to boarding. We could pack them, but traveling with glass bottles worries me.

With the flat rate taxi costs now to the Port, how do they handle a store stop en route?

Thanks!

There is a charge indicated on the web site. The first 10 mins is $5 any additional time after 10 min is $1.00/ min. Before you take the taxi.

Go to to the liquor store in the domestic terminal before security.

Buy your wine and then go to the Seven- Eleven in the same terminal and buy the diet coke. Then walk back to the International arrivals and take your taxi to the pier.

As of April 1, 2015 the sale of BC made wine will be allowed in large grocery outlets such as Safeway, Save-On Foods and similar stores where groceries make up the majority of their sales.

This will make it convenient for people who want to buy wine as well as non alcoholic beverages and food in one location.

Only BC made wines can be sold but there are many quality wines produced in the Okanagan and other areas of the province.

Non BC wines, beer and spirits will be available at government or private liquor stores only.

The locations of the grocery stores that will sell wine haven't been announced yet but I don't believe there are any stores within walking distance (about a mile) of Canada Place that will qualify.

Thanks!

Somebody already mentioned it, but the easiest way is go to the 7-11 and liquor store in the airport before you grab a taxi. Easiest route is exit the building from intl arrivals, turn right, walk about 100m along the street side, turn right back into the building and the 7-11 and liquor store are next door to each other, one level below domestic arrivals/luggage

Somebody already mentioned it, but the easiest way is go to the 7-11 and liquor store in the airport before you grab a taxi. Easiest route is exit the building from intl arrivals, turn right, walk about 100m along the street side, turn right back into the building and the 7-11 and liquor store are next door to each other, one level below domestic arrivals/luggage

Some additional thoughts...

Edited by xlxo

Thanks!

I would not buy the wine in Vancouver as the price will shock you as we are double of that of USA stores. You can pick-up the 12 pack of soda locally. Like someone mentioned earlier, I would look for a duty-free store inside your airport to buy the wine. They will deliver the wine to the plane door and you can carry your duty free purchases.

If you buy onboard ship, the following is priced almost the same as land based stores in the USA & Canada.

Chateauneuf-du-pape $31ship $34.99us $34.99cdn

Franciscan, Magnificat $58ship $42.99us $59.99cdn

or treat yourself to:

Opus one, Mondavi-Rothschild $169ship $244.97us $370.00 cdn

Edited by lamchops

Depends on the wine. BC wines are about $20 cdn + tax. You can get Australian wine for about $12 CDN + tax. American wine is can be very pricy .

I was looking at a Robert Mondavi yesterday , $45 CDN + tax.

This is for 1 liter ( equivalent to a US quart).

Depends on the wine. BC wines are about $20 cdn + tax. You can get Australian wine for about $12 CDN + tax. American wine is can be very pricy .

Depends on the wine. BC wines are about $20 cdn + tax.

Unlike the USA, all prices posted in BC liqour stores include the taxes. The only additional cost is the bottle deposit which is $0.10. When buying BC wine, stick to the ones that are marked VQA (Vintner's Quality Alliance) as they are produced by local grapes, not shipped in juice or grapes.

You can get Australian wine for about $12 CDN + tax.

$12 will get you something like Yellowtail or an entry level wine from a large Australian producer. These wines are typically $5-$9 stateside. It will be about $20 to get a 90pt rated wine.

American wine is can be very pricy .

Washington, Oregon, and Californian wines are just over double of what it cost stateside.

I have never seen a Mondavi 1 liter wine in all my years working in the industry. Every Mondavi listed is at least 100+% of what it cost stateside except the Fume Blanc which is only 50% higher.

http://www.mattersoftaste.com/product-catalogue?search=mondavi

If you want quality wine (90pts) for less than $20cdn look at the Spain section of our liquor stores. The pricing is a lot closer to US prices once you factor in the US taxes and currency exchange.

I have a passion for wine and am thrifty so I'm pretty familiar with pricing in BC and stateside as I cross the border monthly. My reference points are the BCLS in Canada verses Total Wine, BevMo, Costco, & the Big Box stores in the USA. My DW & I always bring back our limit in quality US produced wines. California Cabs, Oregon Pinots, or Washington Rieslings are mainly my focus.

Edited by lamchops

• 2 weeks later...

If you take the Canada Line Skytrain from the airport to Waterfront Station, which is a five minute easy walk from the port, there is a liquor store accross the street from Waterfront in the Harbour Center. If you take a taxi to the port and you have time, you could drop off your luggage at the port and then walk to the liquor store.

It is a government liquor store so may not be open on Sunday if that is when you are arriving.

Cheers

I realize that the Cordova street store is closed on Sundays and that the one at Alberni and Bute is opened Sundays - What I was stating was that the government has announced that most liquor stores will start TO OPEN SUNDAYS EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2015. I don't expect the web site to be changed until that time.

From the government of BC website

"Effective April 1, 2015:

BC Liquor Stores will be allowed to extend their hours of operation to match private liquor stores, including opening on Sundays."

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Also, the Steamworks Brewery/Pub just east of Waterfront Station has a beer and wine store in it that is open Sundays until 10pm. I haven't been in it yet to checkout the prices and selection so can't comment on it. But is right next door to Waterfront Station and 5 minutes from Canada place.

Cheers

Prices are generally higher at the private stores but that may change come April 2015 because if I understand the liquor changes one will be to even the playing field between the public and private stores by allowing the private to buy at the same prices as the government stores.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 6 months later...

Our cruise is just 6 weeks away!

Thanks to everyone for their information. I like Spanish wines and am likely to try a BC wine. As for the Diet Cokes, I'm a bit of an addict. I'll get a soda card for the trip, but I like to have one when I get up or at night in my cabin--which is why I want to pick some up.

Our cruise is just 6 weeks away!

Thanks to everyone for their information. I like Spanish wines and am likely to try a BC wine. As for the Diet Cokes, I'm a bit of an addict. I'll get a soda card for the trip, but I like to have one when I get up or at night in my cabin--which is why I want to pick some up.

I am not at all certain that 7-11 sells soft drinks by the 12 pack but should certainly have 6 packs of Diet Coke at the YVR location which is situated on level 1 of the Domestic Area of the terminal outside of security.