teva flip flops for formal night on carnival cruise?

bdisney

per Carnival: "Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

Teva mush flip flops look like beach flip flops to me.

Although Carnival frowns on beach flip flops and I would consider my Tevas to be in that realm, it is possible to get away with wearing shoes like that depending on your dress. On our cruise, I saw a handful of ladies in floor-length dresses (some fancy; some a bit more casual but dressed up with accessories) and when they walked, I got a peak of their shoes and noticed they were wearing flip flops. When they stood still, their dresses skimmed the floor so you couldn't tell unless they were walking. They were allowed into the MDR on formal night without any problems. I don't know that I would chance it with a shorter dress, but if you have a longer one, you may get by with it.

Edited by iheartmarshall

I love Teva flip flops and live in them. I have ones that have higher soles, criss-crossing straps and different fabrics for the straps. I consider beach flip flops to be the cheap rubber ones and wouldn't dream of wearing the rubber flip flops to the dining room.

However, I have worn my various Tevas to dining rooms on many different cruise lines and have never once had a problem. The dining room staff obviously agreed with me as others with "beach" flip flops were turned away.

Teva mush flip-flops are made of Ethylene-vinyl acetate (a plastic), which doesn't look much better than rubber really, and they are in the same price range as the popular rubber Havianas ("cheap rubber ones"). I believe they would all be what Carnival intended by "beach flip flops". They specify "beach" because there are some dressy shoes that are cut like flip flops or thongs, and they would be appropriate. It's not about what it costs or who designed it; rather, it's about whether it is dressy or not.

In the end, it all comes down to whether or not the official Carnival fashion police are standing by the door and see your shoes.:D

Edited by royalcruz

There are so many flip flops with sparkly, velvet or sequined straps that you could wear.

Many women can't wear heels or closed in shoes for various reasons including bunions, arthritic nodes, toe nail issues, blisters, ankle, knee and hip problems, etc. Flip flops can be a blessing for such women. That may be why flip flop manufacturers sell enough fancy flip flops to make it worth their while.

FitFlop makes a couple of different elegant flip flops I have seen at Nordstrom. If you don't want to spend that much, check out other cheaper brands at such places as Macy's, even Penneys.

Edited by Gangway Style

Personally, I'd rather see a pair of black Tevas in the MDR than some of the cheap-looking blingy "strappy" sandals I see on some women.

Take an ace bandage with you; wrap one ankle and wear the Tevas. If any snob complains, point to the bandage and lower your head and say, "I'm sorry if I offend you, but I can't put my strappy sandals on with this." ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Personally, I'd rather see a pair of black Tevas in the MDR than some of the cheap-looking blingy "strappy" sandals I see on some women.

Take an ace bandage with you; wrap one ankle and wear the Tevas. If any snob complains, point to the bandage and lower your head and say, "I'm sorry if I offend you, but I can't put my strappy sandals on with this." ;)

I like the way you think. I also wear Teva's, and dress them up a bit by adding cute flat flower pins I found at Jo Ann's fabric's.. They are about 3 inches wide and black, like the shoes, and cover almost all the straps. Really makes them dressy. Who cares, nobody looks at your feet, I promise.