Timing on "Upsell Offers"

Robroy

My wife and I have booked the Navigator in early April and took a category "H" window cabin. We haven't cruised without a balcony in over 20 years and are starting to think it might be wise to upgrade to a balcony - ideally though through an "upsell" as opposed to simply paying the rack rate.

In checking the Regent site (which I understand doesn't give the full picture) is seems there is availability in virtually all categories. My question is at what point does the inventory dept decide to make "upsells" available and at what level of cabin do they generally begin? I appreciate that you should always book a level you'll be happy with and it won't be a huge deal if the opportunity doesn't materialize but I want to be ready should it present itself and if savings are worthwhile.

Thanks!

Rob

We have done several upsells but are not familiar with exactly how they are decided. My guess is that they first look at passengers in, for instance, penthouse suites and try to upsell them to any available Master, Grand, Voyager/Mariner/Navigator or Seven Seas suite. This leaves availably in for PH suites. Depending upon customer demand, they offer upsells to a PH suite in order to have more availability in lower categories. So, if your category is full and there are customers waitlisted for it, they could offer you an upsell to a higher category. Really not certain that this made sense but I hope so.

We typically book PH suites and have taken advantage of upsells to the larger suites. Generally, the more levels you are moving up, the most the cost is. While offers typically go out 3 or so weeks before sailing, my TA once received an upsell offer while we were on the plane flying to the embarkation port. Fortunately it worked out and we were able to get the suite when we arrived.

Good luck!

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks TC - makes perfect sense. Sounds like we'll have a much better idea closer to sailing and if our category is in a "waitlist" situation versus "guaranteed" and if there is availability in higher suites.

We'll see what happens - we'll have a great time in any event!

Rob

Just remember that an "upsell" on the Navigator might be to an aft balcony suite where there is a lot of vibration. Usually those suites sell more slowly than others on the ship. So just make sure you will be happy with the suite location being offered. Otherwise stay put where you are.

We had several "upsell" offers on our last Riviera cruise. We were booked in an Oceania suite and about 3 weeks prior to departure our TA let us know that Oceania was offering us a Vista suite for about $1000 more. We "negotiated" and got the price down a bit but not enough - I didn't really want the Vista suite because of not being able to use the balcony when the ship is under way. So I was very "ho-humm" about the offer. In the end they didn't meet my price and we stayed where we were - which was perfect.

This time they won't give us an upsell offer. Downsell maybe but I won't take it! Anyway I would wait till about 3 weeks prior and have a go if I were you.

TallShip - Happy New Year to you and your mother and

Jackie - Same to you and your husband! Happy cruising 2015...

If your category is waitlisted, your chance at an upsell offer is much better. And if an offer does come, you need to be prepared to accept it quickly if you wanting. No waiting around or thinking about it. If you don't accept it, they will go on to the next person.

I have received an offer literally 12 hours before we were to board--we did not take that one though.

If your category is waitlisted, your chance at an upsell offer is much better. And if an offer does come, you need to be prepared to accept it quickly if you wanting. No waiting around or thinking about it. If you don't accept it, they will go on to the next person.

I have received an offer literally 12 hours before we were to board--we did not take that one though.

To add to RachelG, Late month, we had upgrade offers 4-5 day before sailing. We were in Concierge D with offers up to PHA. And on one segment there were 2 offers a day apart, with price dropping significantly. But that is rare; so if you get an offer be prepared to jump on it.

With regard to Nav window suite, the ones on deck five are pretty good. But deck six's have a crew walkway outside the window. Depending on the itinerary, if there is not much to see like in Caribbean, those suites are fine, especially for the price.

j

455/33

• 3 weeks later...
We have done several upsells but are not familiar with exactly how they are decided. My guess is that they first look at passengers in, for instance, penthouse suites and try to upsell them to any available Master, Grand, Voyager/Mariner/Navigator or Seven Seas suite. This leaves availably in for PH suites.

We typically book PH suites and have taken advantage of upsells to the larger suites. Generally, the more levels you are moving up, the most the cost is. While offers typically go out 3 or so weeks before sailing, my TA once received an upsell offer while we were on the plane flying to the embarkation port. Fortunately it worked out and we were able to get the suite when we arrived.

Good luck!

We are on an upcoming (three week out) cruise where the cruise is far from full. We are in a Penthouse 3 and 3/6 of the Seven Seas Aft suites are still open. Would love to get into one of those as they are still aft (vibration aside I like the rear of the ship). If no offer comes in, should we just inquire to see what they can do?

We are on an upcoming (three week out) cruise where the cruise is far from full. We are in a Penthouse 3 and 3/6 of the Seven Seas Aft suites are still open. Would love to get into one of those as they are still aft (vibration aside I like the rear of the ship). If no offer comes in, should we just inquire to see what they can do?

It is certainly worth a try. Ask your TA to give them a call. When your TA is aware that you would like an upsell, they should be looking out for one.

It is certainly worth a try. Ask your TA to give them a call. When your TA is aware that you would like an upsell, they should be looking out for one.

Can you give me an idea on how much I should expect to spend on an upgrade from penthouse C to a seven seas suite aft? I know you had mentioned you had been offered this before. Feel free to email me if you would refer at wbest00@me.com. Thanks.

Can you give me an idea on how much I should expect to spend on an upgrade from penthouse C to a seven seas suite aft? I know you had mentioned you had been offered this before. Feel free to email me if you would refer at wbest00@me.com. Thanks.

I sent you an email several hours ago but suspect that it did not go through as it did not show up in my "sent" file. Pricing of upsells depends not only on how many levels you are going up but also the length of the cruise. If my memory serves me right, we received an offer to go from a penthouse "B" to a Seven Seas aft suite for $1,500/person (note: we did not take it -- we went with the Voyager suite instead). Our last Voyager cruise was in a Seven Seas aft suite and we loved it -- the layout is really nice. The one thing we wanted and did not have was a 1/2 bath. Note: We ended up in this suite when Regent offered a upgrade if we cancelled our existing cruise and went on one that was not sold out. We are now quite "taken" with Seven Seas aft suites.

If my memory serves me right, we received an offer to go from a penthouse "B" to a Seven Seas aft suite for $1,500/person (note: we did not take it -- we went with the Voyager suite instead). Our last Voyager cruise was in a Seven Seas aft suite and we loved it -- the layout is really nice. The one thing we wanted and did not have was a 1/2 bath. Note: We ended up in this suite when Regent offered a upgrade if we cancelled our existing cruise and went on one that was not sold out. We are now quite "taken" with Seven Seas aft suites.

Travelcat2

Thanks again; exactly what i was looking for. It was your experience and write-ups you have posted with a seven seas aft suite that prompted me to want the upgrade. I’m having my TA check to see what they will do.

• 4 weeks later...

Like TravelCat, our TA was offered an upsell while we were already enroute to New Zealand (in Hong Kong, actually), and by the time we saw her email, the opportunity had passed. We were in a Concierge E and were offered a PH (Horizon, aft) which we would have loved. I've learned my lesson, and our TA now has standing orders that if she can't reach us, she's to accept the upsell if its reasonably priced and in a good location. We trust her.

nanook21: Good to see you on the boards again. Sorry you missed the upgrade offer.

Although I love sharing information with other CC members on the boards, this is one area I shy away from. I learned about upsells from our TA which is yet another reason to use TA's that are familiar with Regent. While it is reported that only 5% of Regent cruisers read CC, that would be 35 people from your cruise that would love to get that same upgrade on your cruise (many times there are a only handful of suites available). So, call me selfish, but I generally prefer to give general rather than specific information on upsells. To each his own -- just like to keep the odds a bit more in my favor.

Edited by Travelcat2

• 2 weeks later...
nanook21: Good to see you on the boards again. Sorry you missed the upgrade offer.

Although I love sharing information with other CC members on the boards, this is one area I shy away from. I learned about upsells from our TA which is yet another reason to use TA's that are familiar with Regent. While it is reported that only 5% of Regent cruisers read CC, that would be 35 people from your cruise that would love to get that same upgrade on your cruise (many times there are a only handful of suites available). So, call me selfish, but I generally prefer to give general rather than specific information on upsells. To each his own -- just like to keep the odds a bit more in my favor.

Travelcat, we were recently offered a "downsell" by our TA. Regent offered us approx. $2,850 to downgrade from Concierge Suite to a Window Suite. I was insulted. Apparently there are waitlists for the concierge suite so why wouldn't Regent offer an upsell?

Travelcat, we were recently offered a "downsell" by our TA. Regent offered us approx. $2,850 to downgrade from Concierge Suite to a Window Suite. I was insulted. Apparently there are waitlists for the concierge suite so why wouldn't Regent offer an upsell?

I also would have been insulted. The only time I have read about downgrades was on Oceania. Hope you didn't take that. Since the cruise is obviously sold out, really hope you receive an upsell offer. :)

I am not a happy cruiser right now. I received an email confirmation from our TA yesterday that detailed our paid in full status but also detailed the excursions we have booked. I noticed a couple of the previously confirmed excursions were missing as were the wait- listed excursion. I went on to the RSSC web site and sure enough, two excursions we has previously been confirmed on were now showing as wait-listed and the one wait listed excursion was now not even showing up as confirmed or wait-listed. Now this is the same TA that sent us an email last week asking us if we wanted to "downgrade" from a concierge suite to a window cabin and receive a $2850 refund. Very insulting! It was everything I had in me to hold back with respect to my real feelings. I responded to my TA stating the "missing" excursions were probably an oversight however, adding the insult of a downgrade to missing excursions was certainly not giving me the "6-Star Luxury" experience I was expecting. Maybe the fault lies with Regent or maybe the TA but either way it will better be corrected! Has anyone experienced this with Regent and were you satisfied with the outcome?

Definitely Regent's fault but what is wrong with your TA. They should have been on the phone immediately with Regent to fix the problem. A TA should be your advocate - not sitting around agreeing that Regent made a mistake. Please get on the phone and remind your TA of their job. While you could certainly call Regent regarding this error, you would be connected with a customer service agent and would probably have to ask to speak to a supervisor. Your TA is suppose to have contacts at Regent that can help.

In terms of the downgrading issue, it is very disappointing to see Regent following in the footsteps of Oceania. While a few Oceania passengers hope for a downgrade, (according to posts on their website) it is an insult to Regent passengers.

Please act on this and let us know what happens (sorry if I sound angry with you -- obviously I'm not -- just with your TA and Regent) :o