How do you say that, again...

wandb

Can someone please clear up a pronunciation question for me?

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in 3 weeks. New ship to us, but really looking forward to it.

Does that first syllable rhyme with "sigh" or with "zoo"?

Thanks!:):)

Can someone please clear up a pronunciation question for me?

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in 3 weeks. New ship to us, but really looking forward to it.

Does that first syllable rhyme with "sigh" or with "zoo"?

Thanks!:):)

It rhymes with sigh or Zigh..

At the top of this board is a sticky about the HAL fleet..

Sticky: An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

In Post No. 13 the Hosts included Copper 10-8 (He's fluent in Dutch & now works for HAL) pronunciation of all the HAL ships..

Have fun on your cruise & Happy New Year...

Edited by serendipity1499

As we were on the ship a few yrs. ago, all called it the Ziiiderdam... Yes, that's rhyming with sigh... Should you be doing a partial canal cruise, do stop by the YouTube vid on our signature. Some of it's canal, then other is wonderful snorkeling in Bonaire! Just go back to the big blue ship when you're done playing in port. All will be good unless there are two big blues in port the same day as we had on our cruise... Yes, Westerdam was in same port, same day & at that time did all the big toots going out of port. Same as in FLL. Do enjoy life aboard the Zuiderdam!!!

It rhymes with sigh or Zigh..

At the top of this board is a sticky about the HAL fleet..

In Post No. 13 the Hosts included Copper 10-8 (He's fluent in Dutch & now works for HAL) pronunciation of all the HAL ships..

Have fun on your cruise & Happy New Year...

HEY, this is fun!!! Just checked out post #13 on the HAL sticky, and guess what! He pronounces it "Zey-derdam". That seems to rhyme with Hey or day.

Then I got to thinking about all the Aussies out there---who do not pronounce "day" the same way we do! :rolleyes:

So there are many accents and many choices. Guess I'll stick with most of you. Ziiii-derdam it is!!:)

If you pay for me to come with, I'll pronounce it for you so you don't have to worry.

:)

I am so tempted---if you bring the lovely Kathryn!!!

Seriously, do you have another cruise planned? We would LOVE sailing with y'all again.

I am so tempted---if you bring the lovely Kathryn!!!

Seriously, do you have another cruise planned? We would LOVE sailing with y'all again.

A land trip to England in May 2015 (a surprise for K for our 10th anniversary). But most likely Alaska in May 2016 out of Vancouver. Join us! Our Dutch friends might come with too.

A land trip to England in May 2015 (a surprise for K for our 10th anniversary). But most likely Alaska in May 2016 out of Vancouver. Join us! Our Dutch friends might come with too.

Oh, wow. I LOVED our Alaska cruise/tour. Seems so long ago, it is definitely time to go back!!

Tell me about your cruise---have you picked a ship, date, etc? Will this be a round trip, or are you ending up in Alaska somewhere? Strictly cruise or cruise/tour? Have y'all been to Alaska before?

You will have such fun planning these two trips!

Oh, wow. I LOVED our Alaska cruise/tour. Seems so long ago, it is definitely time to go back!!

Tell me about your cruise---have you picked a ship, date, etc? Will this be a round trip, or are you ending up in Alaska somewhere? Strictly cruise or cruise/tour? Have y'all been to Alaska before?

You will have such fun planning these two trips!

I'll shoot you an email this weekend. :)