Snorkeling trip..... NCL or private?

Hi

Going to be in St. Thomas and I want to book a snorkeling trip. NCL has 4 different snorkeling tours.

Which snorkeling cruise do you recommend?

Private? If so, which one?

NCL St John champagne catamaran sail & snorkel 4 1/2 hours $79

NCL Castaway shipwreck sail & snorkel. 3 hours $59

NCL Turtle Cove catamaran sail & snorkel 3 1/2 hours $59

NCL 2 stop snorkel by catamaran 3 1/2 hours $69

So do you want to sail or snorkel....there are beaches in stt where you can snorkel from without sailing and have a much longer opportunity...or you can taxi to red hook and take the 20 min ferry to stj and snorkel there from the beach having more time to do so.....and spend much less money per person....if you want the sailing exp I would choose the stj one or you could check out trip advisor for a private one where you might have more time to snorkel for less money....personally I prefer to be in the water and not on it...

Your recommendations for "beaches in stt where you can snorkel from without sailing and have a much longer opportunity?"

Beaches with good snorkeling -

Coki for the busiest and liveliest vibe;

Sapphire for a quieter vibe and much more room with a reef and a seagrass area;

Cowpet Bay for the quietest vibe;

Secret Harbor for a busier beach (small bay like Coki)

All offer exceptional snorkeling and have amenities. Coki has several vendors, Sapphire a dive center and 2 food & drink options, and Cowpet a restaurant, beach bar, snorkel gear rental, but the lounges are for condo guests only.

For a daysails snorkel look at Yacht Nightwind, or if not available High Pockets.

Thank you all so much for your recommendations. We will probably end up going to Coki. We have been to Emerald and Sapphire beaches in the past. We loved both. I was thinking of changing it up by taking a catamaran snorkeling this time, but thinking maybe another beach day. I appreciate all of your responses!

We did the St. John Catamaran Champagne snorkel trip and it was fantastic. Head and shoulders over the next two years when we went to Sapphire, then Coki. I would take the Champagne snorkel trip over the beaches anyday. St. John snorkeling is so much better than at Sapphire or Coki. We absolutely loved this excursion. It was FUN too. Not just a simple sail, snorkel sail back. There were snacks, drinks, music, dancing, etc. Just loved it.

Just an FYI, taxi from Crown Bay, where Holland docks is $14.

I thought I had seen a sign at Crown with a fare to the East End beaches of $11 - did the fare go up or was I mistaken? Or is the $14 fare for 1 person?

Edited by blue_water

Stopped in St Thomas in October during the TA one the Star. We were the only ship in port so things were not crowded anywhere. Caught a $9 pp cab at 9am at the port taxi area and were in the water on Coki Beach by 9:45. Narrow beach but the businesses were inexpensive and helpful. We rented lounge chairs and snorkel equipment and spent quite a bit of time in the water. Saw lots of fish and a couple rays. Concessions were also relatively inexpensive; after being on ship, $1 cans of soda were great.

Taxi driver told us to just tell the rental stand about 30 minutes before we wanted to leave and they would call the taxi back. He was waiting for us when we walked off the beach. Would definitely go there again.

Oct, Nov, May, and early June are best times to visit St Thomas, because crowds aren't an issue. Sept may be too dead with many businesses closed.

With fewer ships in the region during those months, best to book early, or do land vacation.