Getaway Haven - H5 or H7 - What would you do?

Vicki'sMom

• 3 weeks later...

It's our first time on NCL and we had booked a Haven Courtyard Penthouse. After cruising in suites on RCCL I was having a hard time with the size of the suite and balcony. We made the decision to go with an Haven Aft Penthouse and don't think we'll mind the walk. When we were on the Oasis of the Seas we were about seven decks away from the lounge. We'll only be five decks away this time :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We sailed in an aft penthouse on the BA last May and never once made it to the Haven in time for a meal. It has limited hours and we found it to be a loooooong walk to the Haven. Plus, we had the UDP and ordered breakfast in the cabin every morning. That being said, I wouldn't have missed that suite and balcony for the world and everyone should experience it at least once in their lives. :D:D

We're sailing in a H5 on the Escape this December and I'm really looking forward to it and the comparison between the two. (First world problemss, I know.:o:p)

This is an interesting post to me because yesterday we made the reverse switch. We've never stayed in a Haven accessible suite and I really wanted to be IN the Haven. For a longer cruise, the bigger cabin would be important.

I should mention that I'm out of shape and have a bad knee, so the walk does change things.

In May on the BA it was open for breakfast 7:30am-10:30am, for lunch 12-2pm, and for dinner 5:30pm-9:30pm.

Have fun!

Thanks, that is good to know! I think we may take advantage of having breakie on our deck some mornings next cruise! We (my ex and I) always enjoyed going up to Cagneys for breakie and would split our favourite meals lol....however, I think my dd and I will enjoy some nice deck time!!! Be nice to take advantage of it, especially on port days when we need to hustle off to go on excursions etc.!

I am keeping an eye on the 2bdrm family suite on the getaway for our cruise....the price is still about $500 more a person. It's a tough call, the aft ph which has the amazing balcony and larger suite or the 2bdrm family suite in the haven. We stayed in the Haven on the Pearl and it was heavenly....my kids (we had 3 of our girls with us and my Mom) and it was so special, a wonderful vacation. But....just us two this time and we like our deck time! Well I do anyhow!

Leah

We stayed in a front facing Haven penthouse on the Breakaway about a year ago. The room is nice enough with a round window in the bedroom (note, it doesn't open) and no window at all in the bathroom (some of the NCL 'artist's impressions' seemed to show a second round window in the bathroom but there isn't one I can confirm.)

The main down side is that the balcony is smaller than even a regular (non Haven) balcony stateroom has. But compared to a regular Haven penthouse, these rooms are quite a bit larger overall. So if you are happy walking to and from the Haven area, you get a better room.

We stayed in a front facing Haven penthouse on the Breakaway about a year ago. The room is nice enough with a round window in the bedroom (note, it doesn't open) and no window at all in the bathroom (some of the NCL 'artist's impressions' seemed to show a second round window in the bathroom but there isn't one I can confirm.)

The main down side is that the balcony is smaller than even a regular (non Haven) balcony stateroom has. But compared to a regular Haven penthouse, these rooms are quite a bit larger overall. So if you are happy walking to and from the Haven area, you get a better room.

Yes, I think that is totally right, if you are happy walking and can do the walk, then you get a better room/balcony for the price. I would only book the 2bdrm if the price came down to match what I am paying now or even close as I like a decent room and I do like a nice balcony! Although if you are in the haven, you are close to their deck also. So for us, it's a wait and see what happens with prices, been interesting so far, only gone up!

Leah

Google NCL Breakaway 12304. We stayed in that cabin last year and have it booked again for this year. First time in 17 years we have booked the same cabin and same cruise again! We had the UDP so only had breakfast and lunch in the Haven. We love the benefits of the Haven but feel the actual Haven cabins are too small. The AFT penthouse cabins are amazing. We had dinner from Cagneys on our balcony one evening when we were docked in Bermuda.

It is a hike to the Haven but once we figured out the most efficient way it was an easy walk.

Google NCL Breakaway 12304. We stayed in that cabin last year and have it booked again for this year. First time in 17 years we have booked the same cabin and same cruise again! We had the UDP so only had breakfast and lunch in the Haven. We love the benefits of the Haven but feel the actual Haven cabins are too small. The AFT penthouse cabins are amazing. We had dinner from Cagneys on our balcony one evening when we were docked in Bermuda.

It is a hike to the Haven but once we figured out the most efficient way it was an easy walk.

thanks, we are very excited about this cabin!!! I think the hike will be fine....I like some space.....the suite benefits are so worth it!!! We have stayed twice in the same cabin on the Star lol......aft penthouse that we loved so much hahaha.... once you find somewhere you love!!!!

I love the idea of eating on our balcony! We have only done that a couple times over the years but want to take more advantage this time!!! Harder to get kids going hahaha........

We had the same dilemna, had a ph booked in the haven courtyard on the Getaway but REALLY wanted a bigger cabin and deck, so just today, I called my pcc and changed to the AFT haven penthouse, nice to have a separate bdrm and 2 bathrooms and a HUGE deck........so happy I made this decision! Having stayed in the Haven on the Pearl, I was so worried we wouldn miss out, but it really is just a walk away!!!!

Leah

Hey browniegirl , no worries about walking to breakfast. your Butler will deliver to aft facing penthouses anytime. You can get any breakfast you desire delivered to your penthouse or balcony. NO WALKING!

Hey browniegirl , no worries about walking to breakfast. your Butler will deliver to aft facing penthouses anytime. You can get any breakfast you desire delivered to your penthouse or balcony. NO WALKING!

Thanks Working to Cruise!!!! I think in all the times we have cruised, we have only once ordered to our suite but I am thinking......that this may just be the cruise that we take advantage of that butler!!! Save the walk in the morning when we are getting ready! I suppose we can order this the day/night before? Same with lunch I bet too.......nummy........making my mouth water thinking of all the nummy food lol!

Leah

We are talking about a walk from one part of the ship to another, people. You will not benefit less by not being in the actual Haven.. If you choose not to walk there, that's your choice, but it never stopped me from using the Haven pool, restaurant, lounge or concierge any less..

Sure, if you like to be three steps away from the pool, great. It really all comes down to preference of room size and location. You won't lose anything from not being in the Haven hallway. All the platinum key cards open the magic door.

Have to agree! We try to stay in the AFT suites- we love the view and serenity. We did stay in Spa suite on BA last Aug _ very nice- loved the spa But Missed my aft view and balcony! When staying in the Aft or the spa suites, The walk never bothered us. We had breakfast ever morning in the haven restaurant and spent every sea day in haven courtyard/pool area. So as many have posted entirely up to YOU and what YOU like and what is important to YOU! I don't believe you can go wrong in whatever decision you make!

I'm sorry - were you being serious? I wanted opinions from people who had personal experience with those 2 categories. I didn't mean for people to go out of their way to research anything. :o

I've already made my decision - we changed to an H7 - which is a suite in the forward' date=' but NOT in the Haven. It has more room than an H5, which IS in the Haven. That was my dilemma: to be IN the Haven or NOT in the Haven. In the end, the larger stateroom won! ;)

[/quote']

CONGRATS! I am sure you will love it!!

Yes - please do come back and update us. I'm in an AFT on deck 11 - wanted more space and hopefully will not regret being in the Haven. I'm thinking the sitting and having drinks with friends on the big balcony will be all worth it! :)

Yes - please do come back and update us. I'm in an AFT on deck 11 - wanted more space and hopefully will not regret being in the Haven. I'm thinking the sitting and having drinks with friends on the big balcony will be all worth it! :)

Oh yes it will definitely be worth it, Tracey!!! ;)

• 1 year later...

I just had the same dilemma and am still agonizing over it. I originally booked in a spa minisuite back in late October. ON this past Thursday, I got an upsell upgrade email and the price was so ridiculous to upgrade and be in the Haven that I grabbed it. I had three choices of Haven rooms. I quickly eliminated the Haven Spa suite as it was an extra $250 per person over the Haven Penthouse suites and I would be the only who could use the spa and Thermal Suites as my nephew is underage at 15 and wouldn't be allowed to partake. So that didn't make sense to spend an extra $500 on this suite when I could get a pass to the Thermal Suites and spa for $179 and save $321. So I went on to the Haven Courtyard Penthouse suite and/or the Haven Forward Penthouse suite. Both at the same upgrade/upsell price. With the Courtyard Penthouse I was on Deck 16 right there smack in the middle of the haven. My dream!!!! Smaller room but larger balcony but oh so heavenly!!!! However the Forward Facing room was almost double the size and had a separate bedroom but a small balcony. It also was on a lower deck--I think it was Deck 11. I went back and forth and decided I wanted to be in the Haven directly and not be isolated from it even though walking to it wouldn't be an issue. However I remember when as a college student I was separated in my dorm from my friends as I was placed in another dorm and getting together became barriers and it wasn't the same. So I chose the Haven Courtyard Penthouse (H5) and am still vacillating to call them back to change at the same price to a H7 on a different floor. Any comments or suggestions please???

I just had the same dilemma and am still agonizing over it. .... So I chose the Haven Courtyard Penthouse (H5) and am still vacillating to call them back to change at the same price to a H7 on a different floor. Any comments or suggestions please???

I read back through your post and am still not sure who exactly is in your cabin with you. Do you really need the extra space? Because for us (an old married couple lol), we would far prefer to be *IN* the Haven. We walk a lot every day so it's not that we mind that part of it, but it's just so nice to have the restaurant, bar and pool area close by.

~Denise

I read back through your post and am still not sure who exactly is in your cabin with you. Do you really need the extra space? Because for us (an old married couple lol), we would far prefer to be *IN* the Haven. We walk a lot every day so it's not that we mind that part of it, but it's just so nice to have the restaurant, bar and pool area close by.

~Denise

I am taking my 15 year old nephew for his birthday--he will turn 16(I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in the post) while on the cruise and I have been taking him on vacations(cruises) since last year and he loves it. I just felt the extra space and the bedroom separate was a great touch. However, I agree with you. The thought of being right there "IN the HAVEN" is what makes me think I did the right thing.

Edited by healingbuddy