Getaway Haven - H5 or H7 - What would you do?

Vicki'sMom

I can't believe I am re-thinking our cabin choice again! lol I guess I should have warned my new PCC that I am a chronic cruise/stateroom changer! :o

We currently have an H5 reserved - just us 2 adults - on deck 16. I love the idea of opening my stateroom door and being in the Haven!

The H7 is only $50/pp more and the bathroom alone (tub and shower!) is pulling me in that direction! I don't mind stairs; in fact, I avoid elevators whenever possible! But will I miss actually staying in the Haven?

I would love to hear opinions, especially from anyone who has been on Getaway or Breakaway!

Thanks in advance for your input! ;)

Edited by Vicki'sMom

We sailed once Haven Aft Breakawwy deck 10 loved the big balcony do not like the room set up and really missed the Haven the walk was way too long for me. We sailed in the 2 bedroom Haven next trip on the Breakaway, I did not miss the big balcony. Would not cruise that far from the Haven again but this is just my personal opinion.

We have stayed in The Haven Spa Suites which are NOT in The Haven, but didn't miss not staying in The Haven because we had access to the Spa which was DIVINE!

It WAS a long walk from The Haven Spa Suite to the actual Haven for breakfast and lunch and going to that pool area, but we didn't mind it as it was a good way to burn calories - also we walked there via cabin hallways as opposed to going to the pool deck so we didn't have to fight our way through the crowds on deck. It was usually a quick, although long walk.

I think this decision really depends on what matters to you most. To me, The Haven Spa Suites are great, but I also love the 2 bedroom villas and Owners Suites, however having a larger suite is more important to us in Europe on a longer cruise than in the Caribbean.

Well, you do get twice the space as that H5 Penthouse and it is forward, so just a short elevator ride up into The Haven...on the other hand, that tub is not "all that" it's actually on the small side - I mention this having experienced the same tub in a spa suite. The shower looks better though and the bathroom is unquestionably larger and more deluxe than a Penthouse bathroom. You would have at least 2, maybe 3 TV's in that suite - great if you and your DH want to watch different shows and having a second room is great if say, your DH likes to work on vacation like mine does so you don't have to listen to him typing away on his computer when you are trying to sleep. You also have the advantage of both a side view and forward view windows. That would be cool. So there is much to like about this alternative, even though it is not in The Haven. I think given the options, I would go with the larger suite. JMO.

I stayed in a Haven Spa suite last May and not being in the actual Haven hallway made ZERO difference to us! We still enjoyed the Haven area as much as if we were in the courtyard and having spa access was wonderful. I would say next time we sail a Breakaway class, I will be doing an aft penthouse or forward facing only to have the slightly larger room with the separate bedroom. I wouldn't do the Courtyard Penthouse as its small with a tiny balcony.

I know the feeling - we are booked in a fwd PH and I keep tossing around changing to an aft or a suite in the actual Haven. The aft has a much larger balcony but then I think we will have the haven pool so do I need a large balcony? Then I think about walking our my door and being in the Haven. I think we will just keep the cabin we have, we like the fact that the bedroom is its own room and the extra space will be nice. It is not that far to walk from a fwd PH to the actual Haven.

It really depends on which perks from the Haven you plan to use. If you are IN the Haven the perks of getting off the ship with the concierge for disembarkment is much easier, especially if you are bringing your bags instead of packing them and sending them off the night before. You meet in the Haven lounge area to do this, and it is so simple and easy if you are in the actual Haven area. Also, if you plan to use the perk of getting to the shows early(especially the magic show) you meet in the Haven lounge, again much easier if your suite is in the Haven.

Besides those perks being easier, it is just so nice to be able to walk right out your door to the Haven restaurant, bar, pool, sundeck, etc. I know walking from other areas is not a huge deal, but it DOES make a difference. I can say this because we stayed in an aft suite on the Epic and a 2 bedroom suite on the Getaway. We hardly ate at the Haven restaurant on the Epic, but ate at the Haven restaurant almost every meal on the Getaway. We also enjoyed the Haven area much more on the Getaway, even though the Epic has a nicer Haven area. I think this is 100% because we were staying in the Haven.

For us, for future cruises, if we book a ship with a Haven, we will stay IN the Haven.

Edited by maja651

We are talking about a walk from one part of the ship to another, people. You will not benefit less by not being in the actual Haven.. If you choose not to walk there, that's your choice, but it never stopped me from using the Haven pool, restaurant, lounge or concierge any less..

Sure, if you like to be three steps away from the pool, great. It really all comes down to preference of room size and location. You won't lose anything from not being in the Haven hallway. All the platinum key cards open the magic door.

We are purposely booking OUT of the Haven now. Been in the H4 on GA and BA...all 3 trips found that there was NOTHING that we did in the Haven except eat breakfast and several dinners. Had friend in the aft as well as the forward PH- MUCH nicer than the Haven PH suites. In the Haven, the PH is not really a suite but a big room.

The 2BR suite is cramped compared to the jewel class. Our children (off to college!) are old enough now that we can be in separate suites outside of the Haven, and that is what we have booked.

I am not all that impressed with the Getaway Haven- have been in it twice and found it way too busy during the day for any enjoyment. Lots of loud adults. Some peace on the sundeck...same with BA-ESPECIALLY during the busy season!

This is just our opinion.

Maxi

Edited by Danitroline

Thank you for all the replies! We decided the suite size is more important than being located in the Haven. ;) I called my PCC and made the switch to the H7! :D

(I just wish NCL would make a floorplan available -- couldn't find one for either BA or GA.)

Edited by Vicki'sMom

A floorplan wouldn't be very helpful. Layout differs slightly by deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I hear you, but I'd still like to see something -- anything! Just to get a general idea! ;)

I've had a hard time finding ANY information on the H7 (and what NCL lists on their website seems to be stretching the reality slightly! LOL)

I hear you' date=' but I'd still like to see something -- anything! Just to get a general idea! ;)

I've had a hard time finding ANY information on the H7 (and what NCL lists on their website seems to be stretching the reality slightly! LOL)[/quote']

Did you see this video? You can glean what the floor plan is like pretty easily from watching this. It's quite nice with the separate rooms and NCL did do something smart here - there is a sliding pocket door for the whole bathroom!

Did you see this video? You can glean what the floor plan is like pretty easily from watching this. It's quite nice with the separate rooms and NCL did do something smart here - there is a sliding pocket door for the whole bathroom!

Thanks! It does help! And makes me that much more confident, and excited, about our decision! :D

I can't believe I am re-thinking our cabin choice again! lol I guess I should have warned my new PCC that I am a chronic cruise/stateroom changer! :o

We currently have an H5 reserved - just us 2 adults - on deck 16. I love the idea of opening my stateroom door and being in the Haven!

The H7 is only $50/pp more and the bathroom alone (tub and shower!) is pulling me in that direction! I don't mind stairs; in fact' date=' I avoid elevators whenever possible! But will I miss actually staying in the Haven?

I would love to hear opinions, especially from anyone who has been on Getaway or Breakaway!

Thanks in advance for your input! ;)[/quote']

Since you are interested in peoples opinions, why are you not describing what the room categories are in words instead of using the extremely cryptic H5 and H7 codes? This has absolutely no meaning. You are forcing people to lookup what these codes mean on the NCL website before that can respond to your request.

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

We had the same dilemna, had a ph booked in the haven courtyard on the Getaway but REALLY wanted a bigger cabin and deck, so just today, I called my pcc and changed to the AFT haven penthouse, nice to have a separate bdrm and 2 bathrooms and a HUGE deck........so happy I made this decision! Having stayed in the Haven on the Pearl, I was so worried we wouldn miss out, but it really is just a walk away!!!!

Leah

Edited by browniegirl

Since you are interested in peoples opinions, why are you not describing what the room categories are in words instead of using the extremely cryptic H5 and H7 codes? This has absolutely no meaning. You are forcing people to lookup what these codes mean on the NCL website before that can respond to your request.

A lot of the posters here are familiar with these cabin categories. No need to look them up. Most of us know what the OP means :)

I'm sorry - were you being serious? I wanted opinions from people who had personal experience with those 2 categories. I didn't mean for people to go out of their way to research anything. :o

I've already made my decision - we changed to an H7 - which is a suite in the forward, but NOT in the Haven. It has more room than an H5, which IS in the Haven. That was my dilemma: to be IN the Haven or NOT in the Haven. In the end, the larger stateroom won! ;)

I've received lots of great feedback and I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

Again, sorry if you feel my first post was inadequate. :confused:

We had the same dilemna, had a ph booked in the haven courtyard on the Getaway but REALLY wanted a bigger cabin and deck, so just today, I called my pcc and changed to the AFT haven penthouse, nice to have a separate bdrm and 2 bathrooms and a HUGE deck........so happy I made this decision! Having stayed in the Haven on the Pearl, I was so worried we wouldn miss out, but it really is just a walk away!!!!

Leah

Congrats! I've heard nothing but wonderful things about that AFT PH! 2 bathrooms makes it an especially awesome suite! :D

A lot of the posters here are familiar with these cabin categories. No need to look them up. Most of us know what the OP means :)

Thank you! :)

Keith, I'm pretty certain it's the sofa in the living room - just like in the Villas living room - where there is that foldout sofa.

Thanks , we are first time suite cruisers, have only sailed twice so wasn't too sure.

Thanks again

Leah

You are going to LOVE it!!!!!!!! Which cabin did you get?