Questions re the Century

PJOZ

I have a favour to ask of anyone who is on the Century, or going on the Century soon. We're doing the Singapore to Dubai cruise in March and I'm thinking about what the kids are going to do on sea days to stay occupied, I don't think there will be many other kids on this itinerary so kids club might be a bit quiet.

I'd like to know whether they have board games in the card room, and in particular if they have a game called Forbidden Island.

Also wondering what movies are currently showing.

Lastly, would like to know what games are in the arcade and whether they are all working.

Appreciate if anyone can answer any or all of these.

Thanks, Penny

We have recently come off the Century and there were not a lot of kids on board, probably a max of a dozen that would use the kids club.

My only comment that is relevant was that upon returning from a shore excursion by tender no sooner did we get back on board when a couple of youngsters said bye mum and dad we are off to the kids club and away they went.

That would for me be the best advert possible for the kids club.

The kids club on Celebrity is a good one. Even with a small number of children they still arrange activities, just it's more directed to their interests instead of as a group.

They do have board games, but I've never seen that particular one onboard.

Regarding movies, the ones they had a few months back on Century were adult oriented ones. That said, kids club normally runs movies as well, so would have a different program.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but there shouldn't be a lack of activities.

Hopefully I won't be lynched for these comments, but our experience on the Solstice was a bit underwhelming in this regard. Not sure if the Century would be better and of course this is just our experience. By all accounts, many kids are so occupied by the kids club on cruises that they are never seen :)

There didn't seem to be any board games in the Card Room. We looked all around, but there just weren't any. In any case, it seemed to be fully occupied with adults playing cards at all times and there were notices that games weren't to be removed (if we could have found any).

I was a bit surprised, but there wasn't much in the way of family/teen movies on offer on sea days,certainly not during the afternoons when you might be looking for something to do.

Quite often the advertised teen club activities didn't seem to happen - I think they were more relying on the teens meeting up and just hanging out. Maybe ok for the 16-17 year olds, but ours were a bit out of place at 12 & 14. I'm sure this would vary according to personality types, ages and the mix of kids though.

Games room was fully functional, but of course it is all extra $

Evenings were fine with shows, dinner etc.

I guess what I am saying is if you have doubts, and have the room in your luggage, I would take a favourite board game, DVD player/movies along.

Hey CruiserBruce.. this WAS the right board for the OP to post their enquiry. This board is for Australian cruisers and as the Century has been based here for several months with predominantly Australian passengers, the most up to date and relevant experiences would be found here. Thanks for dropping by though....

I was on the same cruise as GUT2407 and yes, plenty of kids on board. Lots of activities for them with Kids club and also plenty of them in the pools and spas. None of them caused any issues with me or my fellow travelling companions in regards to their behaviour, this indicates to me that they were fully occupied and having fun rather than causing mischief.

I didn't notice many board games, so perhaps bring one yourself if inclined, perhaps some various card decks (Normal cards and Uno) as a fall back option.

My Son (24) said that the arcade was very good and he spent some time in there, I didn't venture there myself so cannot comment on what machines and the working order.

As others have said, the movies (free on TV and what was screened) were more late teen/adult orientated but there was some that were for kids (frozen). There is also the pay for view movies in various genre channels.

Hope this helps.:D

Thanks everyone. I agree Ethel6666 and given that the Century is older and smaller than the Solstice, with only one pool etc, I think I will find the room for a good board game and buy a couple of DVDs they haven't seen as the itinerary does have a lot of sea days. We are travelling with two other families one with older children and one with younger children so if I can find a game that works across all age groups that will be helpful.

In the past my kids have been the sort that Beanb41 saw, loved the kids club and I had to drag them out of there, but on this cruise I'm not expecting many if any other kids to be in the club, and they are getting older so I'm preparing myself that they may not want to go there every day this time:eek:!

They do love cruising so I am not too worried, I'm sure they'll occupy themselves, they can also take some books and will join in any sports activities etc that are going, but I am preparing them that it will be a different experience to the Mariner and Voyager of the Seas and Carnival Spirit.

I thought this was the better board to post this on since I know a lot of Australians have been on her recently or will be on her soon and there is very little about the Century on the Celebrity board of late. Thanks for everyone's help.

Would still like to hear if anyone has been in the Century arcade because I read one review that said that because the ship is being sold the cruise after ours when the machines were breaking down they weren't being replaced.

Thanks, Penny

I was on the same cruise as GUT2407 and yes, plenty of kids on board. Lots of activities for them with Kids club and also plenty of them in the pools and spas. None of them caused any issues with me or my fellow travelling companions in regards to their behaviour, this indicates to me that they were fully occupied and having fun rather than causing mischief.

I didn't notice many board games, so perhaps bring one yourself if inclined, perhaps some various card decks (Normal cards and Uno) as a fall back option.

My Son (24) said that the arcade was very good and he spent some time in there, I didn't venture there myself so cannot comment on what machines and the working order.

As others have said, the movies (free on TV and what was screened) were more late teen/adult orientated but there was some that were for kids (frozen). There is also the pay for view movies in various genre channels.

I did say more kids then expected but didn't add as Mic did that they were well behaved, but they certainly were.

I didn't see the arcade:( wish I had I'd have had a go.

I did watch a bit of TV AS I had a couple of days in bed with my crook back, I've seen a better range of programs and really wasn't targeted at kids, so maybe DVDs a good idea.

Thanks Mic and GUT2407, was typing mine when you posted yours Mic! Thanks that's very good to know about the arcade, I'm OK with them spending some money there as we have the all inclusive package so that will probably be about the only thing we will spend money on. (And maybe a little spa treatment for me!) I will set a budget for them prior so they know how much they've got to spend before they're spending their own money. They will be pretty excited about that as we usually avoid those machines so it will be a novelty.

Edited by PJOZ