Star's Dry Dock in Portland, Oregon

calex

Breakfast and lunch was still in Cagney's, which I was happy about. Very pleasant atmosphere, excellent service, and nice ocean views from many of the tables.

The "new" Moderno is a weird layout, IMHO. We did not eat at Moderno, but unless I missed an entrance, you get to it through the old Star bar, which is now the Mojito bar, and you pass a buffet of sorts to get to the few tables that are in Moderno. It's a bit odd, IMHO. Maybe they weren't done with it, like the other venues?

Yeah, the entry is through the Sugarcane Mojito Bar and past the Moderno Salad Bar. We ate there twice. It is very small, about 12 tables, so reserve early if you want to eat there - especially on a cruise with so many free UDP. The food was excellent, even better than on the Panama Canal cruise, I think. The are is very small, but actually nicer, subdued lighting, and nicer ambiance.

Five O'Clock Somewhere space is looking ready. I have pics on my camera that I'll post tomorrow when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard rumors that 5 O'Clock Somewhere was open the last night, if anyone can confirm that, we didn't get down there. Here are some pics...

First one is a test, if it works I'll post more.

100_0723_zpsgdnymi8r.jpg

Edited by Pamster

The windows in the SJ Suites unfortunately we're not changed. It looks like they attempted to reseal the windows but the seal on that was done poorly. It made an irritating crackling noise with the ship's movement. We eventually pushed against the plastic seal to stop it from cracking. Did it ruin our cruise? Absolutely not. We did however specifically choose a different sweet other than 12016 just in case they didn't change out the windows. We were in 12008 and only one of those windows was difficult to see through. The other three were fine. There were a lot of things that we thought would be completed on the ship that just weren't. It was a little disappointing but we would still cruise her again in a heartbeat.

Disappointed to hear that windows were not fixed in SJ suites, for me the trade off of no balcony is the great view. I booked 12028 for next year, anyone know if that is one of the suites with affected windows? Hoping they aren't waiting until the next dry dock to fix them... Pamster, thank you for posting pics, they are great!

I heard rumors that 5 O'Clock Somewhere was open the last night, if anyone can confirm that, we didn't get down there. Here are some pics...

First one is a test, if it works I'll post more.

100_0723_zpsgdnymi8r.jpg

Thanks for the pics Pamster. I wish we could have enjoyed this bar on our cruise but oh well. We returned home to our Parrot Head Porch and all was right with the world.

Disappointed to hear that windows were not fixed in SJ suites, for me the trade off of no balcony is the great view. I booked 12028 for next year, anyone know if that is one of the suites with affected windows? Hoping they aren't waiting until the next dry dock to fix them... Pamster, thank you for posting pics, they are great!

Location-Location-Location - beware the first 5 suites port and starboard forward of the ship's

library are prone to jogging running noise on the ceiling.

For those familiar with the ship there is a tunnel (pass thru) on Deck 13 under the pool bleacher decks. The jogging running track goes thru the tunnel to reverse course on the other side.

On the NCL DAWN (sister ship) NCL does curtail the traffic on a shorter loop around the deck - but still yet there are die hards that insist on using the longer loop.

12028 is a nice location on the other hand - next to the meeting rooms and library - just around the corner is the towel station and the pool deck - a few

more steps and the buffet is there - also the starboard side is NON-SMOKING on the pool deck.

NCL STAR has only -4- Balcony Suites in this area which was converted from what was formerly the Spinnaker -

yours is the 3rd cabin forward starboard side from the library - the expensive Balcony suites are further up the slooping passageway.

You have much more cabin (space) room without the balcony and just pop up to deck 13 and you have the whole ship as a balcony at a considerable savings yet still not shorting all the suite amenities.

Noted at this posting the NCL STAR has departed San Pedro (Long Beach) for another Cabo - Mazatlan - Puerto Vallarta trip with the next one being a full transit of the Panama Canal.

Thank you for your response. I chose 12028 because it seemed to be [hopefully] further back from the suites with bad windows so perhaps the windows will be ok?, but mostly because one of my traveling companions has issues with smoke so didn't want her having to walk past the smoking area everytime she hits the pool. Hopefully not a whole lot of joggers, although we are all early risers so it will be a calculated risk I suppose. 1st time in a suite, and I am really looking forward to the perks.

NCL STAR has only -4- Balcony Suites in this area. The Balcony suites are further up the slooping passageway.

You have much more cabin (space) room without the balcony.

We are booked in an SJ on the Star for the 2nd time in May, but are concerned about the fogged windows so we are considering upgrading to one of the SG suites with a balcony. It looks like there is no dining table in the SG's. Is it out on the balcony? It will be too cool for our cruise to eat out on the balcony. Is there room in the suite to bring the table inside with 2 chairs? Also it looks like the TV is mounted so that you can't see it from the bed only the sofa - is that correct? Thanks in advance.

herdingdogmom

What you have for a dining table is an knee high oval shaped coffee table in front of the convertible couch bed.

The balcony takes up about 20% of the cabin space and there is a small cocktail table with the lounge/deck chairs.

If the prevailing winds are from the bow these balconies do not provide a great deal of relief - 12 decks high and only 5 cabins from the forward

portion of the ship creates quite a bit of turbulence.

These balconies do have a partial glass covering but do nothing to prevent rain from raining on your party.

At a price difference of +/- of $1200 I would not do the balcony again.

As I noted earlier a quick trip to the forward elevators/stairs and 1 deck up (deck 13) you have the whole ship as a balcony.

DSC04473.jpg.14ac2ee902b953d6620d38c84ed34c34.jpg

DSC04459.jpg.db12d8e2536364b3a5ca295a862d5ebf.jpg

DSC04468.jpg.a3e19aaf55069c6c1441ebcdb13376b1.jpg

Disappointed to hear that windows were not fixed in SJ suites, for me the trade off of no balcony is the great view. I booked 12028 for next year, anyone know if that is one of the suites with affected windows?

Although only 4 of these "Penthouse Suit with Balcony" on the Star you may want to consider 12512, 12510, 12010, 12012 as they have the big glass windows but also a balcony. The bathrooms are are VERY NICE and exactly the same as the Family Suite (SJ) bathrooms.

For kids or sharing of accommodation the main bed can also be curtained off for more privacy.

We spent 15 days in one of these suites in April 2014 LAX to MIA and could at that point already see that the windows on the SJ's on the port side were almost useless. Not sure about the starboard side ones though.

The "Penthouse Suit with Balcony" (SG) may be a bit more expensive but the dual window and balcony makes more than up for the price difference.

IMHO

Hannes

We are booked in an SJ on the Star for the 2nd time in May, but are concerned about the fogged windows so we are considering upgrading to one of the SG suites with a balcony. It looks like there is no dining table in the SG's. Is it out on the balcony? It will be too cool for our cruise to eat out on the balcony. Is there room in the suite to bring the table inside with 2 chairs? Also it looks like the TV is mounted so that you can't see it from the bed only the sofa - is that correct? Thanks in advance.

The TV is mounted and can swivel around so you can watch TV or movies (DVD Library available free) from the bed.

I prefer a balcony and would not do a cruise without one.

We did not find the wind to be that much of a problem - at least you have fresh air.

Early morning coffee on the balcony in your plush robe means holiday to me...

In-room dining will be difficult at best as you can see the low table is the only in the room.

The outside one is fairly small.

We never ordered meals in the room but the butler may wheel in a table at your request.

Hannes

769501910_Panama016a.jpg.dbcc6841a99cc5e870b829f7014441d2.jpg

578764703_Panama015.jpg.5b12090817900a86c79b28bcf49f8465.jpg

1286093327_Panama014.jpg.54578b021354b7c089f18e6e9f0d1fdd.jpg