The Quantum inaugural cruise fiasco

You can find posts from me over the last 8 years where I've stated that I don't get the concept of pre-inaugural, pre-pre-inaugural, post-inaugural, pre-pre-pre-post-inaugural cruises and the like. The concept is insane.

In the real world, we call this beta-testing.

You shouldn't pay extra to be a beta-tester. You should fear it on many levels and be excited you get to be a person cool enough to work out the bugs. You should know that things are going to be funky and you'll be the guinea pigs for some of the services.

The problem is: people clamor to be the first ones on a boat and have no concept of what they are signing themselves up for. The company can run as many tests as they want and all the simulations they want, but they won't REALLY know what's going to fail until they do full-scale runs with real, unpredictable human beings.

"Only YOU can prevent forest fires!" - Smokey the Bear

Only YOU can stop this. Stop paying extra for beta-testing and eventually it will be more profitable for the companies seek you out to help them. However, as long as people are willing to not only pay to beta-test, but pay DOUBLE OR TRIPLE normal fares to do so... they will. Duh. Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!

Edited by poncho1973

I was on the inaugural and I'm still trying to talk to someone. They refuse to respond. I'm glad the OP used the word ashamed because that was the first thing to pop into my head when thinking of the Miami executives and I've used that word in emails to them. Royal Caribbean messed up on the 8 Night Ocean Voyage (yes, not maiden, look it up Royal never advertised it as that and never even spoke that word until she was on it) when they gave all the credits away. The whole reason they make an inaugural special and give gifts is so that you have no right to yell at them when things aren't good. They know the experience will not be complete so they try to compensate with the special feeling. They did not even attempt that this time. They did not deliver an inaugural experience in any way and repeatedly claimed it was not an inaugural. They even gave a long explanation as to why it was not an inaugural sailing. So why did they label it as one and charge a premium then? That's like them ignoring the fact that it was New Years Eve on the 7 Night "Holiday" in the Bahamas sailing the other week. I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over well. It wasn't just that they didn't deliver an inaugural experience though (which they didn't even try), they didn't even deliver a cruise experience. Not only was it not extra special, it wasn't even as special as the sailing that followed it. I expected something special when I stepped onboard. I'm not talking fireworks, but maybe a banner or the captain welcoming people. Something that felt more than usual. That is the only sailing I have ever been on where you stepped onboard to silence. Not a single person was their to welcome us aboard. That basically set the mood of the sailing. It was a very empty sailing, nothing worked and their were no activities because the ship wasn't ready. All they had were the production shows and DJs. It took them until day 4 to have working Vistaramas and day 6 for the Roboshows and the first game show! I didn't expect celebrities onboard, but I expected an executive. It was the first time she had to handle a port of call. I would have bet a million dollars that atleast Ken Rush would be onboard, he got off the day we boarded. His whole job was to be behind the scenes to handle media stuff and work out the compass scheduling. Well the compass was empty and needed to be scheduled around ports for the first time so why was he not onboard? If they were not going to deliver an inaugural experience and then claim that it wasn't, they at least owed us a cruise experience and they did not even come close on that. This is not an I hate Quantum post, I was on a B2B and absolutely loved the second sailing. This is a simple fact that the inaugural was not what they promised or even up to any level of what could be called a cruise experience. BTW, don't make the claim that you still went to ports. It was a Bahamas sailing and I'm sure like myself, most people onboard did not care about going to the Bahamas in winter. Royal Caribbean itself is pushing the ship as the destination, so ports of call don't matter, and we didn't make it to 1/3 of the ports. But I'm not even complaining about that since missing CocoCay was always a possibility I was aware of since the day I booked. Not getting what was in the title was not.

You can go ahead and flame, but if you were not on the ship that sailing you have no idea what they did and did not do.

On past inaugural sailings there have been "name brand" star guest entertainment, special menus, unique keepsake mementos, etc.

I think that expectations exists for any inaugural sailing and part of the inflated costs. I can understand being let down by it just being a "regular" cruise, even putting aside the technical troubles. But also it would never be billed as Shakedown the Ship to the Bahamas.

Maybe there were some special events and the technical troubles just overshadowed them to enough of a degree for people that it just felt like a "meh" cruise?

You can find posts from me over the last 8 years where I've stated that I don't get the concept of pre-inaugural, pre-pre-inaugural, post-inaugural, pre-pre-pre-post-inaugural cruises and the like. The concept is insane.

You shouldn't pay extra to be a beta-tester. You should fear it on many levels and be excited you get to be a person cool enough to work out the bugs. You should know that things are going to be funky and you'll be the guinea pigs for some of the services.

The problem is: people clamor to be the first ones on a boat and have no concept of what they are signing themselves up for. The company can run as many tests as they want and all the simulations they want, but they won't REALLY know what's going to fail until they do full-scale runs with real, unpredictable human beings.

"Only YOU can prevent forest fires!" - Smokey the Bear

Only YOU can stop this. Stop paying extra for beta-testing and eventually it will be more profitable for the companies seek you out to help them. However, as long as people are willing to not only pay to beta-test, but pay DOUBLE OR TRIPLE normal fares to do so... they will. Duh. Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!

Finally, some sanity in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

stop complaining because u wanted to be the first to say u cruised on Quantum.. u expected perfection and were looking for something to complain about.. going in February and hope none of u complainers are cruising with us.. will have a good time regardless

I was on the 1st of December 2014 cruise and it sucked!

I was on the 1st of December cruise and it was incredible. Maybe I only think that though because being on the 11/23 sailing had set the standard so incredible low though. So imagine what the inaugural was like if you didn't like the 12/1 sailing which IMO went smoothly onboard (beyond my own personal account being corrupt since the day we booked and Royal refusing to fix it).

I was on the 1st of December 2014 cruise and it sucked!

I too was on the 1 Dec and had a great time! I do accept there were a few teething issues but the ship was great, the staff were great and the itinerary was superb. But equally I know others didn't have so good a time

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Maybe there were some special events and the technical troubles just overshadowed them to enough of a degree for people that it just felt like a "meh" cruise?

They were absolutely NO technical problems with the ship's horn! But they did not touch it the entire cruise. Arriving in Nassau for THE first time, Carnival saluted the Q and the Q did NOTHING. I was actually somewhat embarrassed that the Q did not acknowledge the welcome offered by Carnival! As Derek noted...the ship was silent. For the TA, inspite of the early morning hour and cold temps, they held a deck party...no deck party when Q left for that cruise, no deck party arriving into Nassau. There was more going on on Carnival and NCL than on the Q when the Q arrived into port that day. It seemed like RCI went out of their way to make the cruise as bland as possible.

I agree with Derek..."You can go ahead and flame, but if you were not on the ship that sailing you have no idea what they did and did not do."

Just a warning, I am going on the ship again in February!

Edited by JMG

I was actually somewhat embarrassed that the Q did not acknowledge the welcome offered by Carnival!

This is an epic First World Problem. "I was on a cruise and wanted to hear the horn and didn't hear the horn, so I was really embarrassed on behalf of the captain and the company."

BTW, I'm guessing you weren't on the bridge as an officer? There are countless other ways to "acknowledge the welcome offered by Carnival" and I doubt you know whether that was done. That is a captain issue, not a guest issue.

Sidebar: I'm also curious how you know there were NO (in caps!) technical problems with the horn? On the inspection team? Told by a bartender? It doesn't matter if there were or not. I'm just curious as to how you confidently know that. Although, I would think that a functioning horn would be a safety issue on a passenger ship.

Edited by poncho1973

This is an epic First World Problem. "I was on a cruise and wanted to hear the horn and didn't hear the horn, so I was really embarrassed on behalf of the captain and the company."

BTW, I'm guessing you weren't on the bridge as an officer? There are countless other ways to "acknowledge the welcome offered by Carnival" and I doubt you know whether that was done. That is a captain issue, not a guest issue.

Sidebar: I'm also curious how you know there were NO (in caps!) technical problems with the horn? On the inspection team? Told by a bartender? It doesn't matter if there were or not. I'm just curious as to how you confidently know that. Although, I would think that a functioning horn would be a safety issue on a passenger ship.

Maybe they switched it off after lots of complaints from people saying it was so loud they couldn't hear themselves complain!!

They were absolutely NO technical problems with the ship's horn! But they did not touch it the entire cruise. Arriving in Nassau for THE first time, Carnival saluted the Q and the Q did NOTHING. I was actually somewhat embarrassed that the Q did not acknowledge the welcome offered by Carnival! As Derek noted...the ship was silent. For the TA, inspite of the early morning hour and cold temps, they held a deck party...no deck party when Q left for that cruise, no deck party arriving into Nassau. There was more going on on Carnival and NCL than on the Q when the Q arrived into port that day. It seemed like RCI went out of their way to make the cruise as bland as possible.

I agree with Derek..."You can go ahead and flame, but if you were not on the ship that sailing you have no idea what they did and did not do."

Just a warning, I am going on the ship again in February!

You took my quote completely out of context.

Agreed..and maybe since it was the first time taking Q into the Harbor at Nassau they were more focused on ensuring they had it on the right path to dock and not running aground vs. sounding the horn. Who knows though...wouldn't be an issue I would mention on a message board after the fact.

Agreed..and maybe since it was the first time taking Q into the Harbor at Nassau they were more focused on ensuring they had it on the right path to dock and not running aground vs. sounding the horn. Who knows though...wouldn't be an issue I would mention on a message board after the fact.

Ironically we almost ran aground in St. Maarten on her first visit, only time I've been worried about crashing while on a ship. We used the horn like crazy on our way out though.

Ironically we almost ran aground in St. Maarten on her first visit, only time I've been worried about crashing while on a ship. We used the horn like crazy on our way out though.

We enjoyed that visit to St. Martin because we were invited to and attended the "Plaque and Keys" ceremony commemorating the Quantim's first visit to that island. There were representatives from the government and other areas of the tourist areas. Presentations were make to both sides.

We enjoyed that visit to St. Martin because we were invited to and attended the "Plaque and Keys" ceremony commemorating the Quantim's first visit to that island. There were representatives from the government and other areas of the tourist areas. Presentations were make to both sides.

That's awesome! While in San Juan it looked like they were setting up a buffet and event seating for it in the Solarium. Where did they hold it in St. Maarten?

That's awesome! While in San Juan it looked like they were setting up a buffet and event seating for it in the Solarium. Where did they hold it in St. Maarten?

Below are two pictures I took at the Plaque and Keys Ceremony in St. Maarten. Certainly not the quality of your wonderful pictures. The ceremony was held in Boleros and we felt fortunate to be able to share in it. P1120301_zps25f205f3.jpg

StMaartenPlaqueampKeysCeremony_zps87acd818.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Below are two pictures I took at the Plaque and Keys Ceremony in St. Maarten. Certainly not the quality of your wonderful pictures. The ceremony was held in Boleros and we felt fortunate to be able to share in it.

Thanks for the info…it was indeed Boleros…I thought it was in Music Hall … too much alcohol I guess.:D

The plaque that was presented to Srecko was actually a photo of the Quantum as it entered the harbor that very morning. That was an different.

Edited by beachnative

Below are two pictures I took at the Plaque and Keys Ceremony in St. Maarten. Certainly not the quality of your wonderful pictures. The ceremony was held in Boleros and we felt fortunate to be able to share in it. P1120301_zps25f205f3.jpg

StMaartenPlaqueampKeysCeremony_zps87acd818.jpg

That's really neat, than for sharing. Wonder if they made the plaque on land or on the ship. Must have had a photographer up on that hill to get a picture from that angle. Not sure I've ever actually seen a photo taken from up their, rather interesting vantage.

Sold as an “inaugural cruise” but was it was not. I believe that RCI should be ashamed of what they did on the Quantum sailing on November 23, 2014. They advertized one thing and didn’t deliver. I like many complained to agoldstein at rccl dot com and got a token “I’m sorry”.

I believe that we were owed much more. If you too think that RCI has grown so big that they no longer respect their client base, you are in agreement with their management. This cruise had a passenger base predominately D, D+, and Pinnacle. I shutter to think how this line is treating new cruiser!

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CRUISE LINE I LOVED?

Couldn't agree more! I'm a Diamond member. I was also on that cruise and sent a 5-page letter to Mr. Goldstein and Mr. Fain. All I got was a "we're sorry" letter, as well, and a promise of a surprise on a future cruise. I wasn't expecting a full refund or anything even close, but the lack of a more adequate response led me to the same conclusion as you - what has happened to my cruise line?? So much for being "Loyal to Royal." Time to explore other cruise lines!